Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help me determine what engine this is

A garage change the motor in my 99 rs and there not sure what year car the motor came out of.

The motor says ej2.2 on the block. I need to the year the motor was made and stuff like that.

I will post some pics of the motor to help. I can take close ups if they are needed.

SUB2.png

SUB1.png

Count how many engine block to transmission bolt holes there are.

There will be 4 or 8 bolt holes on the engine bellhousing and transmission.

It is possible to mate a 4 bolt engine to 8 bolt transmission..and the other way around. So let us know what BOTH of them are, not just one.

Engine - is it 4 or 8?

Trans - is it 4 or 8?

then we're dealing with all Phase II stuff 1999+

problem with that is i believe there are changes even from 1999 to 2000 to 2002...so it might be tough to narrow this down.

i would look at the TPS, knock sensor, and MAF and write down the part numbers off of them. then punch those part numbers in at subarupartsforyou.com or subarugenuineparts.com. look up those part numbers and see if you can cross reference anything that shows you what motor it may be.

using that method you should be able to track it down. you might have to call subaru or stop in and actually look since the Hitachi Part Number on the side of the actual part might differ from Subaru's part number....but this method will work if you put some effort into it.

there should ba a vin# etched into the block on the passenger side, kinda low very close to the rear edge. but i don't think you'll ever see it with the engine in the car. i had to look twice with the engine on the bench.

auto trans have the same thing on drivers side in the center of the case.

SUB1.png

The thing that bothers me about this is where are the wires for the MAF, ,pressure sensor, and solenoid???? They should be part of the body harness. Swapping engines should not affect those wires?

Where are they? I don't think getting an intake harness will solve anything cause the MAF wires are not part of the intake harness. You really need to look at all the body harness in that area and see if you can find where they chopped the harness off.