Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 200k Service Photo Montage

Hey all,

Had to change the clutch on my Brat so I figured I'd clean up the motor and replace gaskets/oil seals while it was out....

A few photos for all that are interested.....

(Edit - Following TheSubaruJunkie's advice, all photos can now be viewed on my website - Updated as work progresses...)

http://www.alonzostreet.com/steve/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=408

I have a cool little avi file of the pistons doing their thing while the crankshaft is in motion. I will probably upload to my website when I've got it edited....

Steve

Would love to see more of this man. I hope you got more pictures.

Yea-ah!

I have been uploading all the photies to my web site so my dad can keep up-2-date and I will be taking more as I go along.

You can find them here (the 01-09 are copies of some of the others in the folder)...

http://www.alonzostreet.com/ftp/Vehicles/Brat%20White/200K%20Service/

Steve

Just checked out your EA82T photies - you got a shine going on your motor also :clap: :clap:

Too bad my EA82T doesn't run isn't it! :lol: darn headgaskets and a nasty heavy knocking going on makes one think it's kaput...

Here's my nice clean engine, it's still in the garage though, not in a car yet

PICT0737s.jpg

Nice pix. I suggest running Gallery on your website to make uploading, managing and displaying your pictures alittle easier.

http://gallery.menalto.com/

Its what I use, I love it.

That EA81 is lookin real sharp!

Thanks! Lots of blood, sweat and blood went into it :)

I'll give the Menalto Gallery a go. I am using ZoomMedia Gallery at the mo because it plugs into Mambo.

Steve

Too bad my EA82T doesn't run isn't it! :lol: darn headgaskets and a nasty heavy knocking going on makes one think it's kaput...

Here's my nice clean engine, it's still in the garage though, not in a car yet

PICT0737s.jpg

Nice, and I'm especially fond of the groovy engine stand :grin:

You did replace the oil pump I hope? 200k - they are more than well-done at that point.

GD

Just replaced the orings.

Come to think of it, the internal rotating pieces did show evidence of quite severe scoring so I'll have to pop out and order a new one from napa when its back together.

[Edit] Whoa! Napa doesn't carry them and I found this one for $128 :eek:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BAR&MfrPartNumber=0280248

Good job my tax refund just came in :cool:

Steve

how did you get it so clean? with a parts washer?

I have a parts washer to keep all the splashes contained but I just sprayed the heads with degreaser, let them soak 20 secs then used a bathroom scrubbing brush and water to get the majority of grease off.

I did the same with the block except I cleaned it on the hydrallic table with newspapers underneath.

Then I used a brass wire wheel on a drill to get the shine going on :)

For the gasket surfaces I used an air driven buffer with gasket prep pads (medium with light pressure applied to get the gasket and surface imperfections off) and then finished up with fine pad to polish and then a wipe over with acetone prior to reassembly.

It was a well mainained car - The rocker covers were covered in oil which kept them from rusting to badly - they even have the original "Don't Adjust the Valve Clearances" stickers on them :) The car spent most of its life in Arizona so its relatively rust free. Need to keep on top of that down here in Nawlins due to the torrential downpours and humidity we have.

Steve

INeed to keep on top of that down here in Nawlins due to the torrential downpours and humidity we have.

Steve

It's the snow that will get ya. And it's not because of the moisture. It's because of the geniuses at the state level thinking that salting the roads is the best way to deal with snow, in Oregon, we use crushed rock...which still chips paint. That salt ends up on your car, causing any exposed metal to rust.

I've had exposed metal on the underside of my daily driver for years now it's just now showing a tiny bit of rust. I could use steel wool to take it off. I live in Oregon, where it rains a little more than Arizona:grin:.

But yeah, as for your 200k service :slobber:. I usually get my cars after the 200k mark and they don't look anything like that.:headbang:

Johnson']It's the snow that will get ya. And it's not because of the moisture. It's because of the geniuses at the state level thinking that salting the roads is the best way to deal with snow' date=' in Oregon, we use crushed rock...which still chips paint. That salt ends up on your car, causing any exposed metal to rust.

I've had exposed metal on the underside of my daily driver for years now it's just now showing a tiny bit of rust. I could use steel wool to take it off. I live in Oregon, where it rains a [i']little[/i] more than Arizona:grin:.

But yeah, as for your 200k service :slobber:. I usually get my cars after the 200k mark and they don't look anything like that.:headbang:

Sure, Salt'll sure do it to ya... My red Brat came from the keys and the frame is rotten underneath...

I must admit - I get carried away when servicing an engine - I always have to clean every bit of rust off it and get it looking as new as possible - even though it sits there under the hood all day long and gathers dirt.

I painted the block and heads of my GMC sierra in Chevy Orange - very sexy :)

Steve