Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've given up on the idea of repainting the peeling front paint on my 96 Legacy. I plan to just slap a cover over the whole she-bang. (out of sight, out of mind... and it'll look all sexy, right?)

Found LeBra for $92.99, and 1stsubaruparts has the OEM Nosemask for $93.57. Anybody have opinions on either one?

LeBra's description says it has perforations so it will dry quickly. Does that matter? From my experience with boat bilges, I've learned that perforations tend to let water IN more than they let water OUT. :-p

I can't tell you any details about either one of them but here's my experience with front end covers...

In the late 80s I had a black car with lots of chips on the front end, so I did what you're planning and put a bra on it. It said in the paperwork that whenever it rains or whenever you wash the car you have to take the thing off until it's dry. What a hassle, I never did it. Then about 6 months later when I finally did take it off, the paint was totally hazed over. It pretty much looked gray instead of black. It was my own fault for not following the directions but after that I decided I didn't want another one. I don't know if they're still like that or not but I'm not gonna put another one on any car I care about.

Will the smoked plastic hood deflector cover the damage? If so it may be a good alternative since it will not absorb water or prevent proper drainage.

Is the paint pealing due to severe stone chips or rust?

Is the paint original? I am concerned that the peeling paint is not original Subaru paint.

I have not seen peeling paint on any Subaru except in the case of body panel damage. Even in Canada where they drop a lot of gravel in winter that destroys hoods, headlights and windshields I have never seen any Subaru with peeling paint. Chyslers, GM's and Fords yes, but not Subaru's.

Original Subaru paint is quite good for the fact that it stays on the car, although some people complain that it has an orange peel texture and is thin.

Since peeling paint will ALWAYS continue to peel you will eventually need a new paint job. Be sure to have the vehicle painted by professionals who know what they are doing (do not go to Maaco). Proper sanding to remove the existing paint (at least all that is loose) is required as well as a proper priming before the new paint is applied. The quick/cheap places do not sand or prime properly and the result is paint flaking and peeling.