Ultimate Subaru Message Board

800+ HP in an STi?!??!

cobcob

• 2 months later...

#1: I wonder how much $$,$$$ went into that motor.

#2: I wonder how long it will last at that power level.

#3: I want...

#4: Some of those comments made sense. By ice bagging it and spraying water, those numbers mean nothing except that the car is a dyno queen. Daily Drivers FTW!!!

#4: Some of those comments made sense. By ice bagging it and spraying water, those numbers mean nothing except that the car is a dyno queen. Daily Drivers FTW!!!

1) a guess? 10k. between engine work, that massive turbo kit, computers, trans/diff work, brakeing upgrades . . . at retail prices of course.

2) about 3 seconds longer than it took to do that 800hp pull

3) cut the h/p in HALF so that the car is reliable, and i'll take two!!

4) depends on the computer programming they have, they probably have a "dyno pull" setting, a "1/4 mile" setting, and a DD (read: WAY de-tuned) setting. water sprayers are easy enough to install, just in front of the intercooler to achieve a similar effect for the real world . . .

chris

p.s. good to see they were using proper hearing protection :P

#1: Alot.

#2: Depends on how much money went into it. If it is full of top notch parts, that motor will last well. If it is just an attempt by an engine shop to put up some numbers, that probably won't last at all. If it was built by an idiot, that just boosted the HE*L out of stock parts; it's already gone.

As far as ice bagging, and spraying; I have two vehicles with ice boxes, and I've used the upside down bottle trick on countless intercoolers. Both my ice box rigs are driven regularly, anybody with an icebox knows that is what is great about them. When you aren't using them, they don't do anything but add about 3 pounds to the vehicle. Ice bagging, and intercooler misting are real world tricks that are incredibly simple, and produce real HP numbers in every situation. It is not a case of being a dyno queen, it is an intelligent, cheap way to squeeze every last horse out of what you have. Ice boxes have been around before you, and I. Take a look at some old Wendover footage, and you will see refrigerated ice trucks in the background for filling the land speed cars before their runs.

Does that mean that bottle heaters are for dyno queens too, or just for someone with an understanding of science, and a desire to go slightly faster?

• 6 months later...

I dunno I have heard of quite a few builds where an STI is putting out insane amounts of power. As long as it's done right it will last. But you can't just throw a bunch of bolt ons and computer programs at it and expect it to last. But it is getting cheaper all the time to build these things into monsters! I'm not saying its really cheap, I'm just saying it's getting cheaper.

just another bogus "look at me" dyno run, such bogus crap

load it on a water brake for long time loading down until it can't hold any more and dies is believable, not this crap they think is cool :mad:

I would rather have 100 HP per cylinder reliably, with max. continuous rated power of 750 hp

something you can leave on the dyno for hours on end and still chrun out the power reliably is the way to go

http://www.scania.com/Images/Marine_Propulsion_tcm10-112715.pdf

http://138.106.100.11/i&m/litt_cd/Pre-sales/Spec_marine_patrolcraft/DI16_43M_800.pdf

you wanted discussion, and now you got it!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

load it on a water brake for long time loading down until it can't hold any more and dies is believable, not this crap they think is cool :mad:

I would rather have 100 HP per cylinder reliably, with max. continuous rated power of 750 hp

something you can leave on the dyno for hours on end and still chrun out the power reliably is the way to go

http://138.106.100.11/i&m/litt_cd/Pre-sales/Spec_marine_patrolcraft/DI16_43M_800.pdf

Is 1183 hp enough for you? No tricks, no temporary boost of hp on a dyno. http://www.shelbysupercars.com/news-100907.php .

Explain how this is comparing apples to apples? There is no comparison nor should there be. Large bore diesel versus small bore gas... please!

800 whp is a great accomplishment. Dyno queen? I am pretty sure I saw it drive down the street. Random comments just to be heard, nice work guys.

Is 1183 hp enough for you? No tricks, no temporary boost of hp on a dyno. http://www.shelbysupercars.com/news-100907.php .

Copy and paste...

Type:SSC Designed Billet Aluminum V8 Block

Displacement:387.2 cu.in.

Bore x Stroke:4.125 x 3.620"

Compression Ratio:8.975:1

Horsepower:1287 bhp @ 6075 rpm

Torque:1112 ft-lbs @ 6150 rpm

Redline:7200 rpm

Fuel Injection:Electronic Sequential Port

Weight:422 lbs.

Oil:SAE 5W/30 Fully Synthetic Racing

Induction System:Sequential, multi-port fuel injection, Twin Turbo Chargers. Dual-Water to Air Intercoolers.

Fuel:Premium Unleaded - 91 Pump Octane

Well over twice the cubic inches. twin turbo with 2 water to air intercoolers. The impressive part is that they did it on pump gas!

I've never been very impressed by the SSC. It's barely faster than the Veyron and doesn't seem like a car you would want to drive day to day. Where as the Veyron is something I could see people comfortably driving wherever they go. All in all, I find it to be a much more impressive feat of engineering.

That being said, I'd still rather have the Subie.

I've never been very impressed by the SSC. It's barely faster than the Veyron and doesn't seem like a car you would want to drive day to day. Where as the Veyron is something I could see people comfortably driving wherever they go. All in all, I find it to be a much more impressive feat of engineering.

That being said, I'd still rather have the Subie.

The SSC is designed to be a racing car, not some Sunday driver. The Veryon needs TWO engine blocks essentially with its W16 design. Besides, have you ever looked at a photo of the Veryon? It looks ***, like it is about to give a ** or something.

SSC did it with only 8 cylinders and for about half the price of the Veyron.

So yeah, I guess if you are a little old lady or a **** that wants to pretend they are mario Andretti, the Veyron is for you.

Editted for content acceptable for the forums.

Edited by Qman
Spelling

The SSC is designed to be a racing car, not some Sunday driver. The Veryon needs TWO engine blocks essentially with its W16 design. Besides, have you ever looked at a photo of the Veryon? It looks ***, like it is about to give a ** or something.

SSC did it with only 8 cylinders and for about half the price of the Veyron.

So yeah, I guess if you are a little old lady or a **** that wants to pretend they are mario Andretti, the Veyron is for you.

Editted for content acceptable for the forums.

I'm not saying the SSC is made to be a Sunday driver, or that it should be one. It saved a bunch of weight by being focused on speed. I'm just saying that the Veyron has a lot more to it, and it still pulls of an incredible top speed. There is more to it, and it moves it all.

The SSC may have less cylinders and more power, but I just don't find that overly impressive. The SSC has more power, a much more aerodynamic shape (that, oddly, doesn't have a much better Cd than the bus, Veyron) and a phenominally lower curb weight, but it only manages 3.63 mph more on the speedo.

Perhaps liking the Veyron more makes me "a little old lady or a ****" (whatever a **** is...?). Oh well. Either way, I'm still more impressed with the engineering behind the Veyron than I am with the SSC's.

Btw, wouldn't the SSC be better for Andretti wannabes because it's fastAr?

(I also think the Veyron looks better... :o)

I'm not saying the SSC is made to be a Sunday driver, or that it should be one. It saved a bunch of weight by being focused on speed. I'm just saying that the Veyron has a lot more to it, and it still pulls of an incredible top speed. There is more to it, and it moves it all.

The SSC may have less cylinders and more power, but I just don't find that overly impressive. The SSC has more power, a much more aerodynamic shape (that, oddly, doesn't have a much better Cd than the bus, Veyron) and a phenominally lower curb weight, but it only manages 3.63 mph more on the speedo.

Perhaps liking the Veyron more makes me "a little old lady or a ****" (whatever a **** is...?). Oh well. Either way, I'm still more impressed with the engineering behind the Veyron than I am with the SSC's.

Btw, wouldn't the SSC be better for Andretti wannabes because it's fastAr?

(I also think the Veyron looks better... :o)

Actually the SSC could have gone faster but they ran out of road.

Like I said, each appeals to two different segments. And clearly we have different ideas as to what constitutes brilliant engineering. I look at the Veyron and see a bunch of useless stuff thrown on like a Rube Goldberg device. I prefer the succint, reliable KISS approach to engineering. Extra whirlygigs, hockeylockers and sizzlewhigs that do nothing have zero appeal to me.

I am quite sure the SSC will appeal to the wannabee Andretti types out there. That is it's target market. Do you spend $600K (or twice that in the Veyron's case) on a fast car to just drive it slow?

Actually the SSC could have gone faster but they ran out of road.

Like I said, each appeals to two different segments. And clearly we have different ideas as to what constitutes brilliant engineering. I look at the Veyron and see a bunch of useless stuff thrown on like a Rube Goldberg device. I prefer the succint, reliable KISS approach to engineering. Extra whirlygigs, hockeylockers and sizzlewhigs that do nothing have zero appeal to me.

I am quite sure the SSC will appeal to the wannabee Andretti types out there. That is it's target market. Do you spend $600K (or twice that in the Veyron's case) on a fast car to just drive it slow?

Agreed. We appreciate different engineering feats. I actually prefer the KISS approach in my cars, but I can't ignore what they did with the Veyron. All the interior plushness is useless for speed, but it is dead weight that they had to push. I'm impressed by the whirlygigs and hockeylockers they had to include in order to move such a boat.

can u say BOOOM after 5,000 miles and can u say money bags

but its bad rump roast i'd drive it oh and to that 1,100 hp no tricks post its not a subaru so who cares its gay and way to expensive that pos is like half a mill

GAY realy GAY , GAY GAY GAY GAY subaru all the way baby oh ya

k i said my peace:banana::banana::banana:

You obviously didn't go look at the Veyron. That is precisely my reaction about it.

i looked at it its a lambo wannabe pos who cares

800hp sti now thats cool 2.5 L pushing eight hundred horses

thats holy ************ .and what with a w16 i mean what is that

whats next and X18 with 1500 hp (gay gay ) at the shop if u can find one

every other day peice of freakin crap if i had one i would crap on the hood and piss in the gas tank and light it on fire! BURN BABY BURN WHERES THE BALL PARKS

I forgot the stick sorry

Edited by Qman

i looked at it its a lambo wannabe pos who cares

800hp sti now thats cool 2.5 L pushing eight hundred horses

thats holy ************ .and what with a w16 i mean what is that

whats next and X18 with 1500 hp (gay gay ) at the shop if u can find one

every other day peice of freakin crap if i had one i would crap on the hood and piss in the gas tank and light it on fire! BURN BABY BURN WHERES THE BALL PARKS

It would be nice if you could go somewhere other than the dyno with that 800 hp. Anyone kiddie can play dyno games. Heck why bother even using a real car why not fire up the playstation instead? Same thing.

It would be nice if you could go somewhere other than the dyno with that 800 hp. Anyone kiddie can play dyno games. Heck why bother even using a real car why not fire up the playstation instead? Same thing.

Where do you think you could use 8ooHP? Track seems like the obvious choice. For someone who has a strong opinion about this you sure seem to have limited knowledge of what REAL horsepower is used for. Any of the examples, except the diesel application, are designed for performanced use. 1/4 mile, road race, Autobahn... Don't be so short sighted!