Ultimate Subaru Message Board

opinion 91 fwd ,a/t sedan,

found a fwd, a/t sedan, 150,000mi , new alt, new radiator, new tires, good, glass, blue interior, bad axle, , ticking noise, i heard it run, not bad, my question , he says that the heater does not blow hot air, , he tried flushing it , new coolant, and leaks coolant some where, ? i am thinking bad heater core, no milkshake , no crap under cap, ,and shifts smooth,

Just an idea, the heater not blowing hot air isn't necessarily the heater core. On 2 of my wagons the cable that goes from the cold/hot selector on the dash became unhooked down at the heater box under the dash. Could be as simple as that, something to think about.

the owner says new thermostat,but more the likely after market,wonder where the coolant is going nothing in the oil, no coolant inside car, all hoses looked good, but only had 5 min to look at it, and it starts up fine and runs good,also the owner says new water pump,

there are a lot of places to loose coolant. radiator, heater core, and water pump bypass hose for one. then there are little hoses everywhere - throttle body, under the intake, a small one by the thermostat sometimes, a tiny one under the alternator...etc. all those need to be checked if it's leaking.

sometimes looking after filling the coolant and while holding the engine at higher rpm's (more coolant flow) will help pinpoint a leak.

since you posted this in old gen i guess it's an EA82 (you didn't say in your PM to me). it could also be intake manifold and of course head gasket related.

how fast is it loosing coolant? the really slow intake and head gasket leaks are hard to pinpoint, because they don't really leak enough to show out the exhaust or anywhere really.

Well, here is another thing to think about. If he did all that work to the cooling system, and didn't bleed it properly, it's going to burn up coolant all day. Believe me,haha, I've had enough cooling adventures with my wagons. It may not heat up while idling, but if you take it for a ride and it gets real hot and comes back down, this could be the issue. EA82's are a *************** to bleed. I'm not saying it isn't leaking somewhere, but this could be it too. If you have access to one, pressure test the cooling system, that will tell you whats going on most of the time.

yes that is another thing to think about also, i lost the guys # hopefully i'll find it, but what i noticed the little time i had to look at it was the oil was real low ,which he said it used oil , which leads me to think he may had ran it low on oil and coolant, thanks