Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FIXED!! Trany delayed forward engagement

I just purchased a 99 outback with a trans delay problem and having read this thread put in a bottle of Trans x however the type they had at the parts store was the 75000 mile type .....will this work the same as the blue bottle ? I went and found the type specified in the blue bottle should I go ahead and put it in ?

Thanks

I just purchased a 99 outback with a trans delay problem and having read this thread put in a bottle of Trans x however the type they had at the parts store was the 75000 mile type .....will this work the same as the blue bottle ? I went and found the type specified in the blue bottle should I go ahead and put it in ?

Thanks

I am the guy, who wrote the original thread, and so have read all the posts and replies over the past 4 years. I am not aware of the 75,000 mile version of Trans-X, and haven't seen anyone else comment on its performance. I can say that the blue bottle product continues to work in my 99 OBW tranny. After a year's worth of driving, the Trans-X looses its effectiveness. However, draining ATF, and adding fresh Trans-X will again fix the problem, and gives me another year of fixed delayed forward engagement.

If the 75,000 versions doesn't work as well, then recommend draining the tranny of its appx. 4 and a half quarts of ATF, and then add the Trans-X with new 4 and a half quarts of ATF. Be aware that the AT dip stick is calibrated so that low level stick mark to full level stick mark of ATF is only about a pint of tranny fluid. If you don't that, it is very easy to over fill with ATF.

Please report back your opinion of Trans-X on this thread....Thanks......Larry (Rooster2)

• 3 months later...

I have looked through the threads but not have found any regarding my current situation.

Car: 2000 Outback Limited 2.5L AWD approx 148K Purchased April 2012

I had catastrophic transmission failure.

Mechanic said old tranny probably tore up differential because of axle and wouldn't be worth it to rebuild, so we took the old tranny out and put in a used tranny, filter and ATF looked clean as if it had recently been replaced.

Got car back and bad news, it hesitates when you put it in reverse and try to back up. I also noticed it hesitates a bit at stop lights and stop signs. Reverse is worse than anything. Used recommended synthetic fluids

I read the thread regarding ATF and Trans X. My question is would this fix the reverse issue or is reverse completely different from the forward motion tranny problems?

Thanks for your help!

Hello and welcome. It sounds to me like you might've gotten a faulty used transmission. Since this issue was not uncommon with that era trans, any used transmission in that timeframe can be suspect. On used transmissions, it having clean fluid and filter is almost a possible warning sign, as in the previous driver was having trouble with it, tried changing the fluid and filter to see if it helped, then when it didn't got rid of the vehicle when faced with the repair cost on a vehicle of that age.

trans-X is still a good possible solution for this trans. there is no real difference between slow to engage forward vs. reverse.

i don't know if the synthetic fluid will make any difference, i just have no experience.

but regardless, the easy fix is a $8 bottle of trans-x, try it.

it isnt getting better by it self. your other possible solution is to have the parts yard replace it with another trans. they will likely do it but who pays the labor for R & R? how about this, try the trnas-x and if it works call the parts yard and complain. ask for a discount on the trans . they may say fine or they may say replace it. which would you prefer?

Edited by johnceggleston

I have looked through the threads but not have found any regarding my current situation.

Car: 2000 Outback Limited 2.5L AWD approx 148K Purchased April 2012

I had catastrophic transmission failure.

Mechanic said old tranny probably tore up differential because of axle and wouldn't be worth it to rebuild, so we took the old tranny out and put in a used tranny, filter and ATF looked clean as if it had recently been replaced.

Got car back and bad news, it hesitates when you put it in reverse and try to back up. I also noticed it hesitates a bit at stop lights and stop signs. Reverse is worse than anything. Used recommended synthetic fluids

I read the thread regarding ATF and Trans X. My question is would this fix the reverse issue or is reverse completely different from the forward motion tranny problems?

Thanks for your help!

I am the guy who wrote this thread 3 years ago. I am not aware of anyone using Trans-X to fix a reverse issue, but who knows it might work. The second problem of hesitation upon acceleration from a stop with tranny already in Drive just doesn't sound good. Maybe someone will be able to tell you about some tranny internal adjustment that will fix this.

Using Trans-X, you will know within 10 minutes of driving if it will fix your problem. The product works that quickly. If it doesn't help, then you should contact the seller of the used tranny. My guess is that the used tranny came from a wrecking yard. If so, most yards have a standard 30 day guarantee on major parts. I have never had a problem of a yard arguing about the guarantee. They simply will swap out the old, and give you a replacement. The problem is their guarantee does not cover any labor charge, so unfortunately that will be at your expense.

Post here how you have come out on this problem. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Rooster2, thanks for being the test bed for this product Trans-X. I always wondered if it was just "snake oil" :D.

I have a '06 OBW with 50k miles that has the 2 second delay when shifting from reverse to D. This only happens in cold weather, no issues during the summer months. It spent the first year of it's life as a rental before I purchased in '07 with only 13k mi.

I will try this myself this coming winter and post any/all results here so we can all benefit from the experience :cool:.

Edited by Erik R
spelling

Rooster2, thanks for being the test bed for this product Trans-X. I always wondered if it was just "snake oil" :D.

I have a '06 OBW with 50k miles that has the 2 second delay when shifting from reverse to D. This only happens in cold weather, no issues during the summer months. It spent the first year of it's life as a rental before I purchased in '07 with only 13k mi.

I will try this myself this coming winter and post any/all results here so we can all benefit from the experience :cool:.

Trans-X is known specifically for fixing the "delayed tranny engagement" from R to D on model years 1999 & 2000. There is a seal in the tranny that gets lazy to cause the problem. Trans-X fixes the problem for a year, then needs to be added again to provide another year of service.

It may fix your 06, maybe not. It can't hurt to try Trans-X. Suggest you add & drain your ATF three times with 5 minute drives between ATF changes. You need to do this 3 times, because only about half the ATF can be drained from the system at one time. The remainder stays in the torque converter, and won't drain out. Add the Trans-X at the last ATF change. You will know within 5 minutes of driving the car, if Trans-X solves your delayed shifting problem. The stuff works that quickly. Also, be aware that the tranny dip stick Low mark to full mark is only about a pint of liquid, so it is very easy to over fill if you are not careful.

Good Luck, and report back your results...............Regards, Rooster 2

• 3 months later...

I tried this fix on my 2000 Outback about a year ago. The Trans-X worked quickly and amazingly well. A year later, the problem is back. Just yesterday, the car took 4 MINUTES to engage into drive. So I'm going to drain entirely, refill with ATF and add Trans-X again. Local automotive shop warned me against it when I asked them if they would do it to save me the time. Actually they just said they wouldn't do it for "liability reasons" and were trying to convince me they'd make it worse by flushing and refilling with ATF + Trans-X. I'm not buying it, but wanted to check here. I know there is no shortage of people on this forum who've done the Trans-X fix once, but are there others who have done this multiple times with no issues? Just want to check before doing it myself.

Thanks in advance!

See post #252.

It seems that Rooster2 does the ATF drain refill + Trans-X on a yearly basis as the Trans-X loses its efficiency. Doesn't appear that he does a flush but that shouldn't really change the effectiveness of the Trans-X remedy.

Welcome to the board and good luck.

Edited by brus brother

See post #252.

It seems that Rooster2 does the ATF drain refill + Trans-X on a yearly basis as the Trans-X loses its efficiency. Doesn't appear that he does a flush but that shouldn't really change the effectiveness of the Trans-X remedy.

Welcome to the board and good luck.

Thanks Brus Brother...will try it out.

Please report back with your results. Claims are that results are almost immediate.

I wrote the original thread years back. Trans-X works great for 99 & OO models Subies that develop the trany delayed forward engagement.

With clean ATF, Trans-X will fix the delay within 10 minutes of driving. For me the product lasts a year, then the delay starts to creep back into play. Simply drain the ATF, add a can of Trans-X, and you are good to go for another year. I have done the drain and fill 3 times now, with great results each time.

After the second go around, I drained and filled the ATF two times before adding Trans-X, as only about half the ATF can be drained from the tranny at a time. I did not want to leave much old Trans-X in the system.

It seems that Rooster2 does the ATF drain refill + Trans-X on a yearly basis as the Trans-X loses its efficiency.
i did this on my 00 lego L when i bought it about 18 months ago and it worked great. soon thereafter the engine spun a rod bearing and the car sat for a while until i could find the time to buy a block and swap it in. then since i had 2 other subarus i was driving, trying to sell one, it sat a bit longer until a started to drive it daily. now, only 1000 miles after buying the car and at least 18 months, the slow to engage is returning. time for trans-x.

the point is, the trans-x ages and looses it effectiveness, regardless of miles, in my experience.

Finished the work, and it seems to be working again quite well. This will become an annual maintenance for me now. Basically, I just drained the fluid entirely (well, about 2.5 qts or so), refilled with Dex II Oreilly brand ATF, drove about 5 minutes. Drained it all again, removed the filter this time (and alot more came out from there), refilled with 1 can Trans-X and the rest (about 3 qts) same brand oreilly ATF and put on a new ATF filter. The shifting delay fix wasn't noticeable right away, but after drivining 5-10 miles, parking and retrying, it hasn't delayed since. And that was about 5 days ago. Thanks to all for your help on this one!

• 4 months later...

Update............it has been 3 or 4 years now. I am the guy who wrote the original thread regarding Trans-X.

My car's tranny started getting lazy again in shifting from R to D. I drained/filled twice with ATF, and added a can of Trans-X with the last fill. I am happy to report that the lazy shifting is fixed once again. This has come to be a once a year event to change ATF and add Trans-X. So far, so very good. Sure beats the cost of replacing the tranny.

Singing the praises of Trans-X....................................Rooster2

rooster, you should send Trans-X an email or letter and a link to this thread. maybe you can get some free products or services for all your praises.

or a sticker , or a t-shirt, or a hat.......

may be not, but it is worth a try.

Edited by johnceggleston
  • Like 1

rooster, you should send Trans-X an email or letter and a link to this thread. maybe you can get some free products or services for all your praises.

or a sticker , or a t-shirt, or a hat.......

may be not, but it is worth a try.

Good thought, maybe a "finders fee," for the testimonials I have given them.

• 2 weeks later...

Narrowed that dealy down to bad orings on input shaft where it seals to turque converter takes a bitt to biuld fliud preshure your addatives sweled the orings and fixed the problem

The actual rubber o-ring that seals the end of the input shaft?  Or the split viton deals that seal the end of the OilPump drive tube/TC extension?

I have a customer car here fighting the bad delayed engagement.  Tried trans-x, kinda worked for a year but they want a real fix not a bottle.

Gonna tear the whole trans down for a possible front diff issue too (donut spare on the front, didn't install FWD fuse either :rolleyes: )

The actual rubber o-ring that seals the end of the input shaft?  Or the split viton deals that seal the end of the OilPump drive tube/TC extension?

I have a customer car here fighting the bad delayed engagement.  Tried trans-x, kinda worked for a year but they want a real fix not a bottle.

Gonna tear the whole trans down for a possible front diff issue too (donut spare on the front, didn't install FWD fuse either :rolleyes: )

Trans-X has worked well for me for a year, then drain & fill with new ATF, and add Trans-X will give me another year of good service. I have been doing this for 4 years now. This bottle fix sure costs less then a whole trans tear down. With 204K miles on my odo, it is hard to justify throwing big bucks at my car for repairs.

I had similar situation, but istead of Trans-X, my Wife's car Automatic Transmission was somehow "Fixed" with a ATF Flush, Fresh ATF + Lucas Transmission Fix.

Two Years and the Thing is Working Awesome, Holding Strong and Shiftin' Smooth as Silk.

More info on this Post:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/101718-kia-sephia-sporty/page-5?do=findComment&comment=1106242

Kind Regards.

Trans-X has worked well for me for a year, then drain & fill with new ATF, and add Trans-X will give me another year of good service. I have been doing this for 4 years now. This bottle fix sure costs less then a whole trans tear down. With 204K miles on my odo, it is hard to justify throwing big bucks at my car for repairs.

The title of this thread is a bit misleading.  You didn't really identify the issue.

You haven't really found a "fix".....you found a temporary mask of

the issue......the bad seals/o-ring/clutches....whatever causes it, are

still in there.

Ivan seems maybe to have.  That's why I was asking him.  I should just PM him.

I've used it in this customers car twice in the last 4 years.  Never "fixed" it just made it a little less pronounced.

They want an actual fix.

The title of this thread is a bit misleading.  You didn't really identify the issue.

still in there.

I've used it in this customers car twice in the last 4 years.  Never "fixed" it just made it a little less pronounced.

They want an actual fix.

I disagree as to the classification- if the problem is a seal that has shrunk, and something will un-shrink the seal, and it will last until you should be changing the ATF anyway, I'd say it's fixed.

Your argument could be applied to, say, the ATF itself.

"Car shifts hard. Changed the ATF and that masked the problem, shifts nice now, but didn't fix it because in 60,000 miles the ATF needs to be changed again".

But, if it didn't actually work, then in your case sure, it didn't fix it.

I saw a good description of the actual seal that causes the (classic version of the) problem, I thought it was in this thread.

Edited by CNY_Dave

still in there.

They want an actual fix.

I disagree............Trans-X does fix the problem one year at a time in my experience. In my car all the "delayed forward engagement," is gone. It instantaneously shifts into D from R like it is suppose to do. Sure the underlying problem with that balky seal is still there, but Trans-X completely manages the problem, so it is not a problem.

I can't say it will work on all 99 or 00 Legies. However, with all the past testimonials on this thread, there are a lot of happy Trans-X users satisfied with the results.. As you stated, your customer wants a better "actual fix." so then replacing or rebuilding the tranny is your solution. I also get that you are a mechanic, selling your service for a handsome profit, as that is your business. Selling the customer a can of Trans-X and some ATF with minimum labor charge is not what you do. Let's be clear, what it comes down to is a DYI owner working on his own car, vs a mechanic shop repair. Owners take their pick.

I've used it in this customers car twice in the last 4 years. Never "fixed" it just made it a little less pronounced.

They want an actual fix.

if you have the skills and they have the money, by all means fix it.

i have neither, so for me, this is a no brainer.

from a purely economic perspective, $30 worth of ATF & trans-X once a year vs. a $1200 - $2500 rebuild .....

Edited by johnceggleston