Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FIXED!! Trany delayed forward engagement

just bought my daughter a 2011 subaru outback wagon w/ 90k miles.  great car!  clean and all is good excetp.... it unfortunately, has the delayed shift into reverse and drive; moreso in drive.  the first day of owning the car i had the transmission serviced and it did NOT help.  just spoke with my personal mechanic, who i trust, who will be working on the car anyway to stop the exhaust rattling sound that makes the car sound like a piece of sh*t.  i told him about this forum and the trans x mix formula and he is going to drain and replace what was just put in there 3 weeks ago.  i sure hope i am one of those that can do the oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh  it's fixedddddddddddddddddd shout!  lol

will update once that service is completed next week and every now and then going forward

I wrote the original post here, and have kept track of its following over the years. The automatic trannys on 99 & 00 were equipped with some sort of a seal that gets lazy over time, causing delayed engagement of forward gears. (Subaru fixed this problem on later model cars) Trans-X works great to fix this problem on the 99 & 00 models. However, I am unaware of anyone saying that it will fix a 2011 auto tranny. It may help, or may do nothing. Use the smaller bottle 15 oz size, not the larger size bottle.

Also, be aware that a tranny drain only drains out half the tranny fluid. The other half stays in the torque converter. So, often, a fill then drain of 3 times is done, with short drives between drain/fills, to thoroughly drain out old fluid.

Another thought.......your 2011 may have the ECVT trans axle, which is far different tranny, then the older style auto 4 speeds with torque converter. If so, it is unknown if Trans-X will fix an ECVT. Let us know if you have the ECVT, or the older style 4EAT auto tranny.

• Like 1

i would be delighted to learn that the PERMANENT fix is only 15? hours and a 3$ part.

Pull trans.

Remove torque converter

install new o-ring on turbine shaft

reinstall TC and install in car.

Man, oh man, I wish I could bill 15 hours for that.  more like 3 or 4.  And the O-ring is only $3.

Pull trans.

Remove torque converter

install new o-ring on turbine shaft

reinstall TC and install in car.

Man, oh man, I wish I could bill 15 hours for that.  more like 3 or 4.  And the O-ring is only $3.

That's the o-ring that causes this problem?!? Damn I wish I had known that about two years ago! Would have taken me all of 5 minutes to replace that on my friends Forester when I had the engine out to fix the separator plate leak. I thought it was stuffed back in the trans between the pump and the main case somewhere!

It's pretty much in the bowels of the trans.  To remove the forward drum everything needs to come apart except the valve body.  Might as well put new clutches in while it's apart, too.

No special tools needed though, except a gear puller and a 35mm socket.  The FSM has very good instructions.

Yeah that is pretty well buried in there. That link says there may also be shift flare symptoms associated with this o-ring failure. Before the last Trans-X treatment I did she had mentioned there were certain times the transmission felt like it would go into neutral, mostly at slower speeds when the transmission was cold. She said none of that has happened since the last Trans-X. I kind of figured maybe that was related, so its nice to know that the same seal also caused that problem. Of course that also means that one of these days the forward clutch is probably going to cook.

Yeah that is pretty well buried in there. That link says there may also be shift flare symptoms associated with this o-ring failure. Before the last Trans-X treatment I did she had mentioned there were certain times the transmission felt like it would go into neutral, mostly at slower speeds when the transmission was cold. She said none of that has happened since the last Trans-X. I kind of figured maybe that was related, so its nice to know that the same seal also caused that problem. Of course that also means that one of these days the forward clutch is probably going to cook.

I wrote the original post here, and have kept track of its following over the years. The automatic trannys on 99 & 00 were equipped with some sort of a seal that gets lazy over time, causing delayed engagement of forward gears. (Subaru fixed this problem on later model cars) Trans-X works great to fix this problem on the 99 & 00 models. However, I am unaware of anyone saying that it will fix a 2011 auto tranny. It may help, or may do nothing. Use the smaller bottle 15 oz size, not the larger size bottle.

Also, be aware that a tranny drain only drains out half the tranny fluid. The other half stays in the torque converter. So, often, a fill then drain of 3 times is done, with short drives between drain/fills, to thoroughly drain out old fluid.

Another thought.......your 2011 may have the ECVT trans axle, which is far different tranny, then the older style auto 4 speeds with torque converter. If so, it is unknown if Trans-X will fix an ECVT. Let us know if you have the ECVT, or the older style 4EAT auto tranny.

Thank you!!!!   I made a HUGE typo.  My daughter's car is 2001.  My mechanic is going to follow your basic instructions for the trans fluid this weekend.  I am dropping the car off later today for that service and the new bracketing of the exhaust system to stop that awful rattling sound.  My fingers are crossed! 

just bought my daughter a 2011 subaru outback wagon w/ 90k miles.  great car!  clean and all is good excetp.... it unfortunately, has the delayed shift into reverse and drive; moreso in drive.  the first day of owning the car i had the transmission serviced and it did NOT help.  just spoke with my personal mechanic, who i trust, who will be working on the car anyway to stop the exhaust rattling sound that makes the car sound like a piece of sh*t.  i told him about this forum and the trans x mix formula and he is going to drain and replace what was just put in there 3 weeks ago.  i sure hope i am one of those that can do the oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh  it's fixedddddddddddddddddd shout!  lol

will update once that service is completed next week and every now and then going forward

Thank you!!!!   I made a HUGE typo.  My daughter's car is 2001

My mechanic is going to follow your basic instructions for the trans

fluid this weekend.  I am dropping the car off later today for that

service and the new bracketing of the exhaust system to stop that awful

rattling sound.  My fingers are crossed!

Thank you!!!!   I made a HUGE typo.  My daughter's car is 2001.  My mechanic is going to follow your basic instructions for the trans fluid this weekend.  I am dropping the car off later today for that service and the new bracketing of the exhaust system to stop that awful rattling sound.  My fingers are crossed! 

As far as the heat shield rattles, many have had success with using

large hose clamps to add rigidity. Really low tech but non invasive.

I once complained when I brought my car in for service and they fixed it

by screwing a stainless screw through the heat shield into the exhaust. I

found that a bit aggressive and destructive... but it did work. On an

old 1991 Loyale,, an indie ripped the heat shields off and told me not

to drive over high grass. Is it something about Subies or do all cars with heat shields fail at the same rate?

Subarus are highly prone to heat shield rattle because the shields are just kinda clamped around the pipes. Most other cars have them welded or bolted on. After years of heating/cooling and some rust thrown in they get loose and start moving around.

I fix them with a 2-1/4" exhaust clamp.

Screws always fall out. The hose clamps don't always stay tight. Exhaust clamps are forever. At least, forever enough to last until the pipes rust out.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone

Another satisfied Trans-X customer here, at least so far...

Have a 2000 Subaru Legacy OBW that I bought last Fall '13 with 120K.  When I purchased the car didn't seem to notice the delayed engagement problem at first, but by last Spring definitely got worse.  Usually had a 3-4 sec delay in engagement from R - D or N - D.  That was tolerable, but recently it also occasionally slipped out of D at a idle.

Started doing research on it and found this thread.  Drained ATF just once (the ATF that was in there didn't look too old so prior owner must have changed it somewhat recently), added Trans-X and about 4Q ATF.  Immediate notice a difference after just driving a few minutes.  

It's only been 2 weeks and probably 200 miles but the delayed engagement is down to 1-2 sec and haven't seen it slip once out of D at an idle.  

I will update this thread if I notice any problems but so far so good!

Thanks to Rooster2 and everyone else's input!

Rob

I doubt it's that o-ring on the input shaft...  That is fluid for the torque converter lock-up release circuit.

Most likely it's a bad outer seal on the forward clutch apply piston.

6.jpg

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/powertrain-pro/many-changes-subaru-4eat

You can doubt it.  But that is what it is.

I have "fixed" 3 , '99 models and 1 2000 Forresters by simply replacing htat seal.  What happens is that pressure for TC gets dumped.....robbing pressure from the clutch plates for a moment......eventually the accumulator bottoms out and dumps full pressure.......and SLAM.....the forward movement begins.

The other contributor to this issue, to a lesser extend....is the small barrel shaped seal between the valve body and Brake band body.  That one is much harder to get to....but the ones I've done only one did I need to replace that seal.....the others were nearly fully corrected with just the input shaft seal.

• Like 1

Hello everyone

Another satisfied Trans-X customer here, at least so far...

Have a 2000 Subaru Legacy OBW that I bought last Fall '13 with 120K.  When I purchased the car didn't seem to notice the delayed engagement problem at first, but by last Spring definitely got worse.  Usually had a 3-4 sec delay in engagement from R - D or N - D.  That was tolerable, but recently it also occasionally slipped out of D at a idle.

Started doing research on it and found this thread.  Drained ATF just once (the ATF that was in there didn't look too old so prior owner must have changed it somewhat recently), added Trans-X and about 4Q ATF.  Immediate notice a difference after just driving a few minutes.  

It's only been 2 weeks and probably 200 miles but the delayed engagement is down to 1-2 sec and haven't seen it slip once out of D at an idle.  

I will update this thread if I notice any problems but so far so good!

Thanks to Rooster2 and everyone else's input!

Rob

Rob,

I wrote the original post on this subject prolly 5-6 years back. I still drive the same OBW, and continue to use Trans-X when needed. A treatment lasts about 1 year for me, but then I don't drive many miles per year. So, suppose the treatment lasts less time if more miles are driven. It has been my experience that the delay is only about 1 second after a Trans-X treatment. Also, seems to work best after 3 drains and fills, with new Trans-X added with last fill. The 3 drains and fills are needed, as only about half of the ATF can be drained at one time. The rest stays in the torque converter, and won't drain out.  It works out great that a drain pulls out 1 gallon and 1 pint, so refilling with 1 gallon of new ATF plus the one pint of Trans-X fills up the tranny to the proper level.

I am a bit concerned that your tranny is slipping out of Drive at idle. That is a different problem, that Trans-X can't fix. Don't have any advise to give you on that issue.

Regards,.....................................Rooster2

New user here. 2000 Outback with 125,000 miles. I'm thinking I have the same issue as everyone else. My Outback usually engages from P to D just fine, although it can be a bit harsh and slow when cold. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to kick in. What has been happening to me from time to time is when I pull up to a stop light or pull off of the freeway to a stop sign, it will sometimes slip out of drive and then just kick in kind of hard when I give it some gas.  

Hi Rooster2

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my post.  The beginning of this user's post is my exact problem also....Although he claims he didn't have any delayed engagement from P - D.  I had a 3-4 second delay in N, R, or P to D, but  I also had  the above problem occasionally...it would feel like it would slip out of D at a red light or stop sign, then when you hit the gas it would engage in D kind of hard...  It didn't happen very often, but just enough to be worried about.

Since I added the Trans-X the delayed engagement to D is down to 1-2 seconds and I haven't had a slippage out of D and a red light....but I don't know if that is just coincidence because it didn't happen that often to begin with.  I don't drive the car a lot (over the last year of ownership about 7K miles) so I guess only time will tell if Trans-X fixed that also.

Thanks

Edited by robwis

Hi Rooster2

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my post.  The beginning of this user's post is my exact problem also....Although he claims he didn't have any delayed engagement from P - D.  I had a 3-4 second delay in N, R, or P to D, but  I also had  the above problem occasionally...it would feel like it would slip out of D at a red light or stop sign, then when you hit the gas it would engage in D kind of hard...  It didn't happen very often, but just enough to be worried about.

Since I added the Trans-X the delayed engagement to D is down to 1-2 seconds and I haven't had a slippage out of D and a red light....but I don't know if that is just coincidence because it didn't happen that often to begin with.  I don't drive the car a lot (over the last year of ownership about 7K miles) so I guess only time will tell if Trans-X fixed that also.

Thanks

It is good that Trans-X has made things better. Keep your fingers crossed that the improvement will last.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All - New to this forum. Looking for input on this issue - Specifically whether to keep it or trade it. 2nd owner of a 2007 OBW Limited AT with 72K. Purchased a little over 3 years ago with 45K on the odometer. Had the external head gasket leak which I had the local dealership take care of (with some help from SOA! last Jan) otherwise has been good until this July. Started with the delayed engagement issue from either 'P' to 'D' or 'R' to 'D'. After reading extensively -- this forum was most informative - Fluid was not low but admittedly dirty. I did the drain x 2 -- replaced with Subaru ATF and Trans X ensuring proper levels. Problem has gone away but question for how long. I see Rooster2 gets about a year out of this 'fix' by swelling the seals so pressure can build & have read success from others but for how long? Don't see many long term reports other than Rooster2. Got a new Rex on the way but wouldn't mind making it more of a fair weather car if practical. Trying to determine if I should trade (or privately sell) the OBW while its still functioning well or keep it (worried that things will turn South). 

So, bottom line question - For those of you that have found this TransX 'treatment' to be effective, how long has it lasted you & does repeat drain and replace with fresh ATF & TransX get you going again if the tranny starts acting up again?

Thanks!

Hi All - New to this forum. Looking for input on this issue - Specifically whether to keep it or trade it. 2nd owner of a 2007 OBW Limited AT with 72K. Purchased a little over 3 years ago with 45K on the odometer. Had the external head gasket leak which I had the local dealership take care of (with some help from SOA! last Jan) otherwise has been good until this July. Started with the delayed engagement issue from either 'P' to 'D' or 'R' to 'D'. After reading extensively -- this forum was most informative - Fluid was not low but admittedly dirty. I did the drain x 2 -- replaced with Subaru ATF and Trans X ensuring proper levels. Problem has gone away but question for how long. I see Rooster2 gets about a year out of this 'fix' by swelling the seals so pressure can build & have read success from others but for how long? Don't see many long term reports other than Rooster2. Got a new Rex on the way but wouldn't mind making it more of a fair weather car if practical. Trying to determine if I should trade (or privately sell) the OBW while its still functioning well or keep it (worried that things will turn South). 

So, bottom line question - For those of you that have found this TransX 'treatment' to be effective, how long has it lasted you & does repeat drain and replace with fresh ATF & TransX get you going again if the tranny starts acting up again?

Thanks!

From Rooster2...............I don't know that there is any data on Trans-X being effective on a 2007 mode. This tread was written to correct a seal problem that affects only 99 and 00 model Subarus. After the 2000 model, Subaru corrected the seal to permanently correct the problem. Your problem may be caused by the dirty fluid only, and so changing the fluid has fixed the problem. Adding Trans-X may not help, but certainly could help, just hard to tell.

Subaru builds strong robust automatic transmissions that rarely break. My vote would be to hang on to the car. I doubt that the tranny will go south any time soon.

Rooster2

From Rooster2...............I don't know that there is any data on Trans-X being effective on a 2007 mode. This tread was written to correct a seal problem that affects only 99 and 00 model Subarus. After the 2000 model, Subaru corrected the seal to permanently correct the problem. Your problem may be caused by the dirty fluid only, and so changing the fluid has fixed the problem. Adding Trans-X may not help, but certainly could help, just hard to tell.

Subaru builds strong robust automatic transmissions that rarely break. My vote would be to hang on to the car. I doubt that the tranny will go south any time soon.

Rooster2

I can say that after the first change (3.75 quarts), there was no improvement. After the second ATF change plus the Trans X, there was a noticeable improvement but I'll also say that the improvement wasn't appreciable until the next morning (despite taking the car out for a ride and cycling it through the gears many times). It is certainly possible that given the capacity of ATF (9.8 qts.), that 1 change wasn't sufficient but given the fact that after the second change there was a time period between the ATF change and noticeable improvement, I'm thinking a few hours were needed for seals to swell so the tranny could hold pressure. Not a scientifically controlled experiment by any means & as you indicated no data on the 2007 (though this may be the first). Based on my limited experience with this issue, I'm not convinced Subaru fixed this problem after 2000.

Any others with model years after 2000 have this problem (AT with delayed engagement into 'D')?

Definitely appreciate the reply - thanks for taking time to share your thoughts & opinion as to whether to keep or sell.

• 1 month later...

This thread has been one of the most useful finds on the internet ever! Several days ago I was about to trade-in my 2001 Subaru Outback for a used minivan because I believed I had to replace the transmission. While waiting to hear if the loan was approved, I started searching online for anything about Subaru transmission problems and came across this thread. No one I had asked..mechanics, other Subaru owners...NO ONE mentioned "delayed forward engagement" until I found this thread, but this is exactly the problem I was having from P-D. I ran to the local auto parts store, bought a bottle of Trans-X, and put it in my transmission. Because of all of your helpful advice, I had no problem locating the transmission dip stick or checking the fluid level and filling it properly. I recently had a Subaru mechanic replace the AT fluid and filter, so they were still good (he also wanted me to replace the transmission). All I did was add enough Trans-X to bring the level between the hot low and full level, drive around for about 15 minutes, and miracle of miracles, NO MORE delayed forward engagement. I thank you (no loan or minivan!) and my college kids thank you (they love our Subaru)! When I can afford it, I'll replace the current AT fluid with synthetic, as a lot of you have recommended. I'm also going to tell everyone I know with a 1999-2000 (early 2001) Subaru (heck, anyone who will listen) about Trans-X. And I'll keep you all posted on our progress. Thank you!!!

P.S. I'm not mechanically inclined...just a well-informed (thanks to you all), beyond happy mom! 

This thread has been one of the most useful finds on the internet ever! Several days ago I was about to trade-in my 2001 Subaru Outback for a used minivan because I believed I had to replace the transmission. While waiting to hear if the loan was approved, I started searching online for anything about Subaru transmission problems and came across this thread. No one I had asked..mechanics, other Subaru owners...NO ONE mentioned "delayed forward engagement" until I found this thread, but this is exactly the problem I was having from P-D. I ran to the local auto parts store, bought a bottle of Trans-X, and put it in my transmission. Because of all of your helpful advice, I had no problem locating the transmission dip stick or checking the fluid level and filling it properly. I recently had a Subaru mechanic replace the AT fluid and filter, so they were still good (he also wanted me to replace the transmission). All I did was add enough Trans-X to bring the level between the hot low and full level, drive around for about 15 minutes, and miracle of miracles, NO MORE delayed forward engagement. I thank you (no loan or minivan!) and my college kids thank you (they love our Subaru)! When I can afford it, I'll replace the current AT fluid with synthetic, as a lot of you have recommended. I'm also going to tell everyone I know with a 1999-2000 (early 2001) Subaru (heck, anyone who will listen) about Trans-X. And I'll keep you all posted on our progress. Thank you!!!

P.S. I'm not mechanically inclined...just a well-informed (thanks to you all), beyond happy mom! 

Excellent!  I am like you, not mechanically inclined either and found this thread by accident also.  

As you can see by my prior posts it's been about 3 months since I added Trans-X,  I've driven about 1500 miles in that time and Trans-X continues to work like a champ.  Delayed forward engagement is basically gone, trans also seems to shift much smoother.  Hasn't slipped out of drive once since adding.

• Like 1

From personal experience, seems like the Trans-X fix will last about a year, then shifting From R to D will return. Drain and fill tranny 3 times with short drives between drains, then add Trans-X will again give you a year's worth of trouble free tranny action.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

!:::::! Automatic Transmission drain plug has a crush gasket (one time use) as opposed to a rubber re-useable one, so get a new crush gasket when you are buying your new AT Filter !:::::!

Howdy folks, thanks to USMB! Got me a 99 with 181,000. Same problem, did what rooster said, worked great. A little info for the guys doing it now: Trans-X was at my local Autozone ($10.99/quart). Small town guys might have to order Amsoil off of the net, depending, I live in a fairly small town, only one mechanic shop had Amsoil products for sale at $12.95/quart (cheaper than a new tranny). O Reileys, Napa, and Autozone all do not carry it here (did not check Carquest, forgot they existed to be honest). There are a couple types of the Amsoil ATF, I went with the "Signature". So you can't drain all of the ATF out (which is stated in this forum many times, just saving some searching) I pulled the plug and got 3.5 quarts out (I measured), then when I took the filter off an additional 1.5 quarts came out and was still coming out a little when I put the new filter on. So I ended up with 5 quarts total being drained out. After putting new filter on and putting plug back in with new crush gasket, I put 4 quarts of Amsoil ATF Signature and one quart Trans-X in. (Trans X says 1:10 ratio, capacity according to manual is 9.8 Quarts, so putting the whole quart of Trans-X in is fine. I ended up putting another half a quart of Amsoil in (I was just a little low before starting the process). Don't overfill, check when hot.  :D No more delay! Boom!

ColoSubez