Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FIXED!! Trany delayed forward engagement

it is hard for me to imagine that some one isn;t making a similar product in europe. but i haven't even looked into it and others have.

subarus, motor oil, atf, are all sold world wide, why not a seal repair / stop leak for auto trans.

i'll bet transx has even looked into it and for what ever reason has chosen not too.

but again, i have not looked into it so i don't know.

Dear all

Let's think otherwise.

1. Subaru has a market share in the BeNeLux (Belgium-The Netherlands-Luxemburg) of less than 0,3%; in the USA it's almost 2%. In Belgium, I think 95% of the cars are manually shifted; in the USA it's almost 1%. So finding a Subaru automatic car here is as rare as seeing a dolphin laugh.

2. I read on this forum the succes of Trans-X with '98 and '99 4EAT's; so why testing other brands and perhaps doing damage to the transmission? Unless this whole thread is one big commercial for Trans-X, it's my choice to go for this product and not something else. Like I wrote before, the reason why Trans-X can't be sold in Europe, is because of European environmental regulations (with the name "REACH").

3. The transmission has already been to 2 revision centres! The problem was solved for some weeks, but not for longer.

4. My dealer is already trying for more then 4 months to get Trans-X here; so it seems he is not succeeding. If you would sell Trans-X to me, I would be your first customer!

SO PLEASE, HELP ME GET TRANS-X IN MY SUBARU LEGACY III WAGON 2.0 GL BEFORE SOMEONE HERE GETS AN ACCIDENT! THIS SITUATION IS DANGEROUS AND WE ONLY HAVE ONE CAR! LIKE I WROTE BEFORE, THIS SITUATION IS TAKING TOO LONG.

And another question:

And also another important (but easier) question: as we (in Belgium) are not at all familiar with "fluid oz", "pints", "quarts" and other measures of volume that are non-metric, could you please convert the measures in metric values? So, how much ml (milli-liter) of ATF do I have to drain and refill with Trans-X?

Thanks for your understanding

Guy, Belgium

Edited by guyc

I'm not familiar with shipping requirements in Europe, but here, alcoholic beverages are shipped pretty commonly and with little restrictions.

The question about flammability is a good one. Flammability is determined by something called flash point. This is the temperature that a substance has to get to before it'll ignite. How dangerous any substance is in this regard is determined by it's flash point. Alcohol is held is significant regard by fire fighters. While the flash point of different types of alcohols is relatively low as a hazard class itself, it poses a very special hazard when ignited in that it burns clear, basically invisible. You cannot see the flames. A person can walk inadvertantly into burning alcohol and not realize it until it's too late. Any alcohols that burn blue or yellowish is because of other products in the mix. So, that burning shot you drink at the bar burns blue because of impurities in the drink. The same impurities can raise the flash point where it takes more heat to ignite the product than if it was pure alcohol.

Truthfully, if a can or three of Trans-X was packaged right, it likely wouldn't have any problems being shipped anywhere. You'd likely have to lie on the customs declaration, though, so it wouldn't be declared a hazardous substance being shipped.

By the by all....I just bought a can at Wal Mart, $5.97.

I decided to look at the can of Trans-X since I haven't put it in the Outback yet. You will note in the picture the red diamond. This is a hazardous materials label and this one means flammable liquid. It signifies that the product has a relatively low flash point and that there isn't another label like toxic or corrosive means that this is the greatest hazard of the particular product. Therefore, when shipped, the packaging, regardless of quantity, has to be labeled flammable liquid. It means that my earlier comments about ORM-D labeling like on windshield washer fluid is moot. This stuff is considered even more hazardous to ship than that. It would have to be declared accurately to ship or the potential penalties would be pretty stiff.

post-31716-136027637316_thumb.jpg

I decided to look at the can of Trans-X since I haven't put it in the Outback yet. You will note in the picture the red diamond. This is a hazardous materials label and this one means flammable liquid. It signifies that the product has a relatively low flash point and that there isn't another label like toxic or corrosive means that this is the greatest hazard of the particular product. Therefore, when shipped, the packaging, regardless of quantity, has to be labeled flammable liquid. It means that my earlier comments about ORM-D labeling like on windshield washer fluid is moot. This stuff is considered even more hazardous to ship than that. It would have to be declared accurately to ship or the potential penalties would be pretty stiff.

Realistically, after reading your post, I don't think this product would be accepted by any carrier for shipment. Prolly worth a call to the Post Office to verify.

Nothing like going to prison for illegally shipping a can of Trans-X. What are you in here for buddy...........OH, shipping a can of Trans-X to Europe, got me 5-10 years of hard labor.

If it's declared and shipped through UPS or FedEx, it would be ok. However, I have no idea how much it would cost as I'm sure there would be a surcharge.

As to finding it at Wally World, :brow:

By the by, I siphoned out some fluid and put it in yesterday. The fluid looked real good when I pulled some out with my Mityvac so I didn't see a real need to drain out the tranny. I've noticed some reduction in the delay already. I'm wondering if it'll take some time to become more noticeable, or if it'll be what it is now. Would a second can be of benefit especially when it can be gotten for under $6 :brow:? Sorry, I couldn't resist. CRC recommends that for larger capacity trannys, which I know our's doesn't qualify for outright.

Edited by Allpar Mod

If it's declared and shipped through UPS or FedEx, it would be ok. However, I have no idea how much it would cost as I'm sure there would be a surcharge.

As to finding it at Wally World, :brow:

By the by, I siphoned out some fluid and put it in yesterday. The fluid looked real good when I pulled some out with my Mityvac so I didn't see a real need to drain out the tranny. I've noticed some reduction in the delay already. I'm wondering if it'll take some time to become more noticeable, or if it'll be what it is now. Would a second can be of benefit especially when it can be gotten for under $6 :brow:? Sorry, I couldn't resist. CRC recommends that for larger capacity trannys, which I know our's doesn't qualify for outright.

Don't recommend using more then the 15 oz. small can. Drive a few days, it should get better. It would have been better to have drained your ATF, added fresh and the Trans-X.

Thanks. I'll wait. Like I said, it is already making a difference.

I understand the thinking of replacing the fluid entirely. I decided to take a close look at what was in there before I decided anything. Worse case was I'd have to get into my truck and go get a couple quarts of fluid if it looked questionable and climb underneath the Soob. When I started pulling fluid out and into a cup, I looked at it carefully. It looked and smelled nearly like it came out of the bottle. Only then I decided to leave well enough alone. I did drain 1 1/2 pints out as it was slightly overfilled to begin with (I didn't do it). I topped it off with new fluid after adding the Trans-X. So far...so good.

Hey Guyc.....I decided to call FedEx to see if there is any way to ship the stuff to Belgium legally. Now, I'm curious if Trans-X can be shipped internationally or not. The international rep I spoke to at FedEx said that I need to know exactly what city or town the delivery is going to. Reason is that some cities prohibit delivery of hazardous substances in your country even if they are declared apparently.

If you don't want to post your delivery address publicly, send me it in a PM and I'll call FedEx back later in the week. Tomorrow's a holiday here.

I was just busting chops with the :brow:

Edited by Allpar Mod
Typing too damn fast again

Hey Guyc.....I decided to call FedEx to see if there is any way to ship the stuff to Belgium legally. Now, I'm curious if Trans-X can be shipped internationally or not. The international rep I spoke to at FedEx said that I need to know exactly what city or town the delivery is going to. Reason is that some cities prohibit delivery of hazardous substances in your country even if they are declared apparently.

If you don't want to post your delivery address publicly, send me it in a PM and I'll call FedEx back later in the week. Tomorrow's a holiday here.

I was just busting chops with the :brow:

It gets way more complicated then your answer from FedEX, even though Guy's town approves income shipments of hazardous substances.

Because Trans-X has a flash point of combustion of 61 degrees F, as declared by CRC, the mfger of Trans-X, a certified trained hazardous packaging company is required to prepare the product for shipment, plus legal documentation to accompany the shipment. Cost prolly approaching $150-$200. Time, effort, and money make this project impossible.

Additionally, since the product is not sold in Europe, it is not environmentally legally approved to enter Belgium, it stands a good chance of being confiscated. It is just layer after layer of road blocks that makes it impossible to ship the product to Belgium.

As you can tell, I worked hard to learn if I could ship Trans-X to Guy.

Larry (Rooster2)

Ship tranny to Nipper to install Trans-x. Nipper drives tranny around US (trying not to trash another engine) ships tranny back to Europe... problem solved.

Happy Thanksgiving from this side of the great waters.

OK, I must admit: with all this misery, you made me laugh :-\

I received a quote from Grainger's that it would cost me... 385$ to ship it to Belgium... And then I have to pick it up myself in the port of Antwerp (which is not the biggest problem), but I have no idea of customs then: what are the chances that they will confiscate it or not?

I'm getting tired of searching for solutions...

Are there Europeans on this forum? Are there people who come on holiday in Europe and who have a little spare room in their luggage? Is it allowed to put (so not smuggle) this in luggage or is this also impossible? Or is it possible to put it in other bottles?

Thanks to all who are willing to help or who did some research for me! Please don't give up and help me get some Trans-X!

Greetings

Guy

:(

Ask me about transporting hazardous materials in this country and I'll have answers for you. Internationally, not so much. Rooster's attempt and answers he received I find interesting and I'm not surprised. Maybe Guy needs to find out what would happen to a shipment from his end before any more attempts to figure out a possible solution are made. You should talk to your customs people.

As to smuggling this in a suitcase, just don't even try. They sniff luggage now and it will trip the alarms. One thing the machines look for are aromatic hydrocarbons. Putting it in another bottle could trigger a potential espionage investigation. You don't want to go here, or anyone else for that matter.

Just to show you how they are scrutinizing luggage these days and how little it takes to trigger an alarm, I had taken a bomb class in New Mexico a while back and obviously flew there from Pennsylvania. Yes, I'm one of the good guys. Anyway, I packed the boots I wore on the range in my checked luggage on the return trip, specifically in a black duffle with POLICE in big white block letters on it. When I got home I found that the bag had been opened and inspected throughly. There was a note in it telling me so. The nitrates from the explosives used on the range stuck to my boots and triggered the alarms at the airport.

You cannot get away with much at airports here these days.

Guyc, I suggest you go to http://www.auto-rx.com and ask them via email whether they can/will ship to you. I have used this product, including in my Baja (Legacy) A/T, and it will do all that Trans-X will do. However, Auto-RX is not a hazardous material, and in fact was developed by a fellow who had myriad serious health problems that he believes came from working with hazardous solvents all his life. Again, I've used it, including in an A/T, and it actually does what it's advertised to do. In my experience, very few products actually do, but Auto-RX and Trans-X both do. Good luck!

OK Here's another thought. Try and see if the Trans X people will be appearing at any of the European trade shows.

You just might want to meet up with them to discuss opening a "small" franchise of say... 2 or 3 bottles to start :banana:

Won't go, because Trans-X is prohibited in the European Union

Guyc, I suggest you go to http://www.auto-rx.com and ask them via email whether they can/will ship to you. I have used this product, including in my Baja (Legacy) A/T, and it will do all that Trans-X will do.

Hello bulwnkl, thanks for your reply. Just wondering from what year your Baja is.

Are there other people that have experience with this product? Could be a possible trail.

Have tried other things; will report on later on.

Greetz

Guy