Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Chattering 4WD Stick - Single Range 4WD Tranny

I've been meaning to ask this one for a while. In my '79 brat, which comes equipped with the single range 4WD transmission, the 4WD stick chatters non-stop when I'm driving in Front Wheel drive. This hasn't gotten any worse over time, and it doesn't seem to have any negative implications, other than the fact it is just annoying.

The noise will go away if I push forward on the stick. I suppose I could use a short bunjy cord to hold the stick in the non-noisy position, but I'm trying to make my car less ghetto and more awesome.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? More importantly, anyone have any good fixes???

Thanks in advance,

Crabman

I had the same problem on my 78 brat about 5 years ago. I couldn't find a source for the bushing or the dust boot. I wound up making a bushing from a #00 cone faucet washer. Used a file to reduce the diameter to 0.45 in and height to 0.17 in. Packed the receptacle on the transmission housing with silicon grease and reused the cracked dust boot. There has got to be an easier way. Any suggestions on a replacement for the dust boot?

I replace the bushings on both shifters in my '80 Brat. They were both rattling so bad I couldn't hear all the other rattles....:lol: It was really very easy to do. The only PITA was pulling up the boots and then getting them to stick back down. There is someone on here that makes replacement boots that you can screw down, but I didn't see those until after I had already put mine back on.

Had no trouble getting the parts from the local Subaru dealer. Here's a link to part numbers and pics,

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14981&cat=500&ppuser=19374

Hope this helps.:headbang: Bobby

• 9 months later...

Call this number and ask for Subaru parts. They are a dealer that knows what you need and can get it. I just ordered the EXACT parts you are talking about needing. (they are still in the plastic bag on my shelf in the garage, waiting for the snow to melt). These guys will know what you need though.

1-800-357-1892

Jon

I suppose I could use a short bunjy cord to hold the stick in the non-noisy position, but I'm trying to make my car less ghetto and more awesome.

:lol: That is exactly what a 1980 Brat had when I bought it... I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 78 for the chatter issue :)

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has any luck with getting those bushings let me know, I called that number but there computer only seems to show second gen bushings. anybody have part numbers for the fiber bushings where the bolt goes thru and the rubber boot,clip and washer for where it pivots that fits '75-'79 4wd cars and 77-81 brats?

thanks,

-Kurt

Edited by hancho3

Try the part numbers listed in the test below. I ordered mine last year from Timmons Subaru in Long Beach, Ca. and they gotthem for me after a week. Be sure to let us know if you have any luck

"Yes, the bushings that go on the bottom of the shifters are the same.(Part #633011130, #8 in the diagram). The other bushing goes where the bolt goes through to hold the shifter in place on the bracket. (Part #733146090,#5 in the diagram) "