Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There's a module for the 05+ legacy/outback radios, but i'm not sure anyone's done it with an 00.

Now, Jazzy's plug&play thing requires that you play a blank cd, and the aux just overlays. Another method (the one i chose to do) is to hack the board, i didn't override the CD player, i chose to cut out the fm radio instead. I did this by creating an audio switching circuit with a J/K flipflop (latching in the right config) to control a cell phone audio switch to swap the signals.. this required cutting traces, solding lots of surface mount things... it was a good time... :rolleyes:

Jazzy's thing i'm guessing you'd have to mess with it to get it to work:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504

the easy solution would be to get an inline FM modulator. VERY simple. plugs into your antenna and essentially transmits anything (Ipod, cell phone, MP3, whatever) over a radio station.

i installed one in my XT6, works great and you don't have to change your radio.

they have wireless ones do that are very simple to use, but not as good sound quality and may have more interference.

the easy solution would be to get an inline FM modulator. VERY simple. plugs into your antenna and essentially transmits anything (Ipod, cell phone, MP3, whatever) over a radio station.

i installed one in my XT6, works great and you don't have to change your radio.

they have wireless ones do that are very simple to use, but not as good sound quality and may have more interference.

I have not used one of these - is there the possibility that other drivers near you can pick up on the signal on their radios? (say if you're on a private cell phone call)

I've tried several wireless ones and have never had good luck with them. My experience would be that other drivers could not pick up the signal...and neither could I. If it worked as advertised though, I think the other car would have to be right next to you and tuned to the same obscure radio station that isn't prodcasted on.

The inline ones work well, I have one right now. The hardest part is finding a nice place to put the power switch and the plug...otherwise, no complaints.

My FM modulator though is a temporary thing. The real best way to do this for all around best sound quality is to replace the stock radio. The one I happen to want hasn't bee released just yet.

I have not used one of these - is there the possibility that other drivers near you can pick up on the signal on their radios? (say if you're on a private cell phone call)
not sure with the in-line FM Modulators, but my guess is no since they aren't designed to be transmitters. i'm sure the company's could answer that question. i guess i could go see what mine does?

with the wireless FM modulators it is possible to pick it up on another very close radio. depends on the transmitter and it would have to be very close...no more than a car length or two away. i suppose dedicated equipment would increase that range if you're really paranoid about it!

almost no possibility. Those things are so weak its funny, they barely work 2' from the radio much less from another car. Not only that they would have to know what freq your on. Dont worry about it unless someone is specifically out to get you.....are they?? :-\

I use one all the time, the worst thing about them is that outside radio stations interfere with them so you have to keep changing the channel to find a quiet station(in the city, out in the country no prob)

almost no possibility. Those things are so weak its funny, they barely work 2' from the radio much less from another car. Not only that they would have to know what freq your on. Dont worry about it unless someone is specifically out to get you.....are they?? :-\

I use one all the time, the worst thing about them is that outside radio stations interfere with them so you have to keep changing the channel to find a quiet station(in the city, out in the country no prob)

Just assuming for example, you're in rush hour traffic, cars are fairly tight and moving along slowing, and someone next to you decides to "scan" their FM dial...

Wasn't sure of this product's capability. There are the home products that let you send FM signals throughout the home - having transmitting ability of 30ft or so (Ithink). I was wonder if this was the same type of principle...but it looks like from the response this is not the case.

Yes it is possible. We were able to pick up other people XM Radios. We had 2001 International 2-Ton. It had just a radio and no CD PLayer. I think we picked it up other vehicles FM Broadcast because we had a big style antenna you see on semi's. Better gain. As far as cell phones gp, most Handsfree Cell phone solution reqiure either wired or a Blue Tooth Connection. Bluetooth is 802.11 signal and I dont think anyone could pick it up a listen to calls.

I am pretty sure you can add a WIRED connection to your Subaru with the Product made by PAC. This is a good solution for the Ipod. other than that I use the Monster Ipod adapter. It charges your Ipod and sends out the FM signal. Had pretty good results with it.