Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifting a Subaru?

heep70

I notice a lot of the Subarus are lifted here. How DRASTIC does that effect the gearing once you have put the bigger sized tires on? Highway and trail speeds? Do you need to regear?

I 4x Jeeps and I never pictured a Lifted Subaru w/ 27" or bigger tires out running on the same trails I am on.

Hey Heep, jes give Ken's rig a little test drive, it'll be all over from there. Once you go Subaru nothing else will do. When I first started running around in the woods with my Brat all my trail buddies were driving K5's, Bronco's, and Scouts. I kept up with almost no trouble at all, even with 29" tires and a 1.8 4 banger. Now that I have the 2.7L six and dual T-case, I've pretty much left wheeling with all the big trucks, as it's too boreing waiting around for them. Thankfully I've been lucky enough to track down a bunch of other Soob nuts in my area that I can wheel with, and it's much more fun.

Gearing really depends on what tranny you use. The 81 and 82 4 speeds have a lower 3rd and 4th gear - easier to drive on the freeway. That's what I'm running right now with 28" tires and it drives great. Or you can do the 5 speed like Qman has - basically the same effect - more gears is better. The 83 and up 4 speeds are gutless on the freeway since 3 and 4 are too high.

GD

i'll vouch that the 83 d/r sucks. the 4th gear is taller than the 5th gear in the 5 speeds. too wide of a gear ratio.

but adam by the dual tcase's you mean the subaru and nissan right?? or did you make a doubler after the transaxle? you'd have no driveline...

the_bard

if he's talking about the divorced nissan transfercase. you couldn't use the pkdavis lift. you'd be utilizing a subframe. and everyone that's done them, that i know of, are like at least 6" lift.

basically, you make the lift (or i'm sure you could talk to mudrat. these types of lifts are a lot more spendy than getting a pk lift though. lots of custom fabbing.) custom fabbed blocks on a subframe. you suck the tranny and engine back to original position on the body. put a short little driveline out of the tranny to the tcase. from the tcase it goes to the rear diff, then to the front via a driveline to another rear diff, modified into your front engine crossmember underneath the tranny. which makes it so you can put a lsd in the front too!! lower gearing like around 60:1 to 70:1 final crawl ratio. you can also change the diff ring and pinions up to like 4.44:1.

you'd also be the first i've heard of with a EA82 set up that way.

sorry for semi jacking the post.