Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So here's the scoop. I have a 96OBW that I bought from a member with known problems.(hg's,tb,shifting issues) I had a 98 L wagon that I had smashed up so I took to swapping the engine then transmission. I swapped the engine in (i think) june of last year. I threw the expected code for evap system but nothing out of the ordinary engine wise, It ran ok. The trans seemed to get worse delaying shifts untill 6k and slamming in hard. I rechecked all my hoses,connectors and the like and all seemed ok. I had been intending to wait till spring to swap the trans but I needed to have the car reliable thru the winter so in early november I started the swap. I had some great days weather-wise but lacked the knowledge to do it fast. So then it snowed and I picked up another 98 at the end of november so I put the project on the back burner. Febuary rolled around and my dad says "get it out of my driveway or im having it towed" so I slapped the essentials together(front driveline,exhaust,rear halfshaft,fwd fuse in) and drove it to my apartments parking lot. It seemed ok other than a little noisy and a little sluggish. Now that it really is nice I want to finish the project by doing the rear diff, but there are some issues I need to address before I do. before I drove it over I filled with atf. When I went to check it last week the stick was clean. I think this might be because the screw that holds down the filler tube went m.i.a. So before doing much more I added atf,started it,let it run,checked again. still low. added more a little at a time until it read full. I turned the car off, went in for a sandwich and when I came out there was what looked like half a quart of atf on the ground? climbed under and saw it was coming from the filler tube. had a neighbor start the car and it stopped leaking. turn it off and it sounded like it was flowing from somewhere back into the pan,and started to leak again. also while it was running and i was underneath it seemed like it was making an awful chattering sound directly from the pan. I realize the first step is to get a screw for the filler tube but I worry of what damage may have already been done.Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I think I'm needing a little guidance on what to do from here. I apologize for the novel. Any help at all is much appreciated. Have to go pick up the lady now. But I'll be back in an hour to answer any questions.