Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Impreza blower motor removal?

I lent my 2000 2.5 RS to my sister for the winter, she informed me one of my furry friends left a nest in the blower motor squirrel cage.

I am framilar with the blower motor removal from the old school Soobs.

Can anyone give me any insight as to the removal of the blower motor/fan on my 'Preza?

Thanks for any tips, I could go to the "other" board, I guess

I'd rather keep it in the family so to speak

I 'preciate your understanding

If it's like the legacy, you need to remove the glove box, and the cross-brace that holds it in. You should then see the motor. There's three screws holding it in. You need to remove those and the tube that connects to the motor. You may need to remove some of the metal bracketry in there to get it out....or at least I did.

That should get you at that area where the motor and blower is. If they nested real bad, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the evap box out. You'll have to discharge the a/c system.....but depending on how much of mess they left in there.....I'll let you decide.

I have pics of mine....it was a mess

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/acevap/

If it's like my 99 RS (and it should be) you don't have to remove anything else to remove the blower motor. When a fellow scooby owner removed mine (when I was having trouble with my HVAC fuses blowing...actually turned out to be the resistor pack later), he just dove under the passenger side of the dash, removed a few screws and down it came. (He is "pleiades" on this board, if you want to ask him for more details.)

I had the same blower problem a few years ago. I never could figure out how the critters could get in and pack it full of leaves and crap. I remember having to re-solder the "fuse" in the resistor pack because the blower was jammed and it blew.

The air intake is under the front windshield and covered with grill work, the doors and windows were closed.

Is there another mode of entry that is common knowledge in the mouse community or did they chew through something under the car I didn't see?