Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaky Power Steering Pump

The power steering pump on my Loyale is going through a lot of fluid. I don't see any red drips underneath, but there is a lot of red oily stuff under and around the pump on the top of the engine.

Could it be a leaky shaft seal? If so, can it be replaced, or is it time to visit the wrecker?

Rob.

power steering pumps typically leak where the reservoir sits on the pump, there's an oring there usually. just replace it. best to take the old one off and go find a suitable alternative at the auto parts store, they usually have trays of them.

• 3 weeks later...

An update.

I needed some oil pump seals, so I decided to try for the o-ring at the same time. The dealer did not have a listing for it!!!

I pulled the pump apart, and found there was a small o-ring around a tube that sticks out of the base of the reservoir into the pump. It is either really old and mangled, or this ring is not an o-ring, it has a fancy profile.

There was a ring cut out of the pump flange that the reservoir sat on, around the pump inlet, but I could see no O-ring there.

Is there supposed to be just the o-ring on the tube, or is there one around the inlet as well?

Is the seal on the tube supposed to be round,or have a fancy profile?

Thanks,

Rob.