Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sambar for offroad

Scott in Bellingham

They cant pass Federal Safety Standards.

Oh man that sucks!:mad:

looks safe to me

can't be any less safe then my older minis and they are being imported to here from New Zealand and Australia and driven on the streets legally.

It's legal to drive them on the road, just not to register them.

What I mean is, if this was your *farm" vehichle, you could drive it on roads like a tractor from point to point. You just can't liscence it. Probably wouldn't want to go on the highway either.

But if it has all required lights, the most trouble you could get in is not haveing insurance on it. And a good farm policy probably would cover it.

They cannot be registered due to the fact that the DOT doesn't approve them for highway use. Additonally, the one in Scott's picture has ATV tires on it, which are not DOT approved either.

It's legal to drive them on the road, just not to register them.

This varies from state to state. Check your local laws before buying one...

Andy

Quite a few are already a supercharged deisel. And if you want the van.. Why not just go with a Delica. Its gotta be the most advanced 4x4 system ive had the pleasure of driving. And there is real aftermarket support. Not to mention youve got a real engine. I know its not a subaru, but neither are those minitrucks. The Subaru, Diahatsu, Honda, etc.. All the same truck.

delica_winter.jpg

are you saying they are all the same running gear just different bodies??

NOT THE SAME. SUZUKI CARIE,DIHATSU HIJET,SUBARU SAMBAR,

ALL MADE BY THIER OWN MFG'S. SPECS ARE VERY SIMILAR FOR THEIR CLASS. sorry for the cap's.

Scott, there is a suzuki carrie in use by our place,( v tread mini tractor type tread/no lift.ive seen it go up some pretty steep goat trails with diff locks.

The dealer he bought it from in houston mo has a sambar that is supercharged. 5 spd d/r diff locks ,a/c. goes 65 on the hyway, aND YES it will go more places than a lifted wagon. he wont sell it.

This one looks like it'd tip over pretty easy. Needs wider axles, closer to Scott's idea.

No it doesnt. Since it is a van its damn near hollow up top. All the weight is concentrated down low. It also has a very active computer controlled 4x4 system. When the truck reaches semi-dangerous angles it will correct itself by saggin the high side and stiffening the low side. It an amazing truck. Wider axles just means it will fit in less spaces, as subaru owners we all know the benifits of this.

As for the minitrucks, maybe there are some differences, but I doubt you could really go wrong with any of them.

Can you buy the damn things in America? I seriously want one...

There was a little shop in Colfax that I think had them for sale last time I was visiting over that way. There were like 5 or 6 Suzuki trucks sitting outside. My parents drive past it at least once a week. Could ask them...

Can you buy the damn things in America? I seriously want one...

I did a little bit of searching and couldn't find anything in the US... canada, japan, and the UK were all that came up...

--Spiffy

scott, heres the best source l know of ,this is one main importer,they gave me contact info 4 years ago on getting a 4wd van.in my area. ( bought an 8x8 argo instead) the guy they put me in touch with a man that had his 2 american sons living in japan to purchase/ship for him. they told vans cost more because they CANT piggyback them in a cantainer, like the trucks,because of their shape, but you can get them. some sambars are supercharged( mini blower).

l linked to the track/ accessories page, hit their home page to find everything.

heres the link. oh and by the way,eventhough l dont own one, l think these in the photo will do good for offroad.:rolleyes:

http://www.best-used-tractors.com/mini_truck_tracks.html