Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with installing rear seal for a driveshaft

With the help of this forum (gary and ben) I have a working driveshaft installed. The male end of the shaft looked good and I slide the seal onto the male end. I figured the seal would slide back to the appropriate placement.

It did not work. I am still getting a lot of ATF coming out. Any suggestions?

This is a 98 OBW with a rear driveshaft replaced.

Michael

With the help of this forum (gary and ben) I have a working driveshaft installed. The male end of the shaft looked good and I slide the seal onto the male end. I figured the seal would slide back to the appropriate placement.

It did not work. I am still getting a lot of ATF coming out. Any suggestions?

This is a 98 OBW with a rear driveshaft replaced.

Michael

the seal is installed in the a$$ end of the trans. the drive shaft is removed when you do this. you are going to need a larger socket or something to tap it in because it sits around the splined output shaft of the trans. i have'nt done one, but i doubt it's any different than any other seal. slide into place and gently tap it to seat.

calling the front end of the drive shaft the male end is a mis-nomer . it's both male and female. male because it slides into the trans/seal, female because the splined trans shaft slides into it.

calling the front end of the drive shaft the male end is a mis-nomer . it's both male and female. male because it slides into the trans/seal, female because the splined trans shaft slides into it.

Duh, It's a Tranny seal! LOL

• 2 weeks later...