Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SJR Tube Buggy Build Thread 08

Scott in Bellingham

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been wanting to do that too, more of a dune buggy thing though. i've got a fwd ea82t w/ wiring harness almost out of a car. i've been thinking about a mid engine rwd buggy, i'll post a drawing in a bit.

this is the rough idea

buggy.jpg

i've been wanting to do that too, more of a dune buggy thing though. i've got a fwd ea82t w/ wiring harness almost out of a car. i've been thinking about a mid engine rwd buggy, i'll post a drawing in a bit.

this is the rough idea

buggy.jpg

Dave and Rob why dont we meet tomarrow at 7 and make some plans and get started,

this is the rough idea

buggy.jpg

needs more trianglulation,get rid of rectangles.

heres the layout of the parts this is a EA82

EA82_bugeye.jpg

my thoughts are

One Doner car for all parts

ease of construction

full length square bottom rails ( Engine Cross member width ) to build the cage on , this will make it easy to fab up,

Square and Rectangular Tubing for the bottom and mid frame

round or Square tubing for the top bars

square fabrication joints whebever possible to aid in ease of building

I want this to be a easy thing to fab up so if we go with square tubing and square cuts it wont take long to build the frame also square tubing costs less then round, I like round for the top for looks and thats were you grab it with your hands , would be neet to have a towbar on it to get to the riding area

2 or 4 seater, 4 seater stock wheelbase, 2 seater same layout but shorter wheelbase,

mount radiator above transmision or just higher in front of engine to aid in aproach angle,

hey guys... I've got Tosh's '88 GL Turbo wagon with an EJ22 turbo in it I'd be willing to add to the mix :banana: ... could do one of your carb'ed EJ conversions in it... I just decided to move here from FL and would love to get into a rock-crawler to tow to the desert during the winter :clap: ...Larry

hey guys... I've got Tosh's '88 GL Turbo wagon with an EJ22 turbo in it I'd be willing to add to the mix :banana: ... could do one of your carb'ed EJ conversions in it... I just decided to move here from FL and would love to get into a rock-crawler to tow to the desert during the winter :clap: ...Larry

Larry you want to build one of these?

ha this ones funny

6698.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats based off of the original mini, it uses the subframes and drivetrain. basically its a kit car using mini parts. they did make an offroad version of the mini called the moke that was built for the military but the military never adopted it. they are used at some resorts and i've read that they use them on the Canary and the Catalina islands .this is similar to the mini moke.

those are the same wheels i got for my 61 mini that i'm hoping to have on the road soon.

sorry for running off subject a little but i thought i would put that info out.

BTW Mini Mania in California are selling new remake chassis of the mini moke if anyone is interested

the only bummer is that they will still be too wide for the 48" width limit on atv trails :confused: , but it would be a bad @$$ little sand buggy... how many feet of steel do you think it would require? hmmm... maybe i should buy the jdm tube bender i want sooner... i think a turbo charged 2.2L or larger with the fwd tranny, making a mid-engine dune buggy...

how many feet of steel do you think it would require? hmmm... ...

at least 120 + ' Im going to go with 1-1/2 x 2 - .083 on the bottom frame priced it yesterday its $50 for a 20' stick will be orderin up 100' this week , will go with 1-1/2" .095 round for the top bars, its a go Rod will help me and maybe make one later

I am looking forward to it.:banana: Wish I had the room and the means to transport it or I would also be ordering steel.

at least 120 + ' Im going to go with 1-1/2 x 2 - .083 on the bottom frame priced it yesterday its $50 for a 20' stick will be orderin up 100' this week , will go with 1-1/2" .095 round for the top bars, its a go Rod will help me and maybe make one later

Yeah steel prices are outrageous!:eek: From March to April, the prices increased %60!!!! With a %5 increase every month after that.

the frame will be 48" to the outside, the wheels willstick out stock width, will be running 27" swampers with Pug alloys

atv width limits are 48" bulge to bulge... (50" in idaho) but if it looks it, few will probably care, except the DNR and that fact that atv's barely fit on the bridges.

why such thin walled tube for the cage? .120 DOM tube is considered standard safety cage material. with the size of tube depending on the weight of the vehicle. .83 will dent fairly easy when you roll... i'd suggest for the structual part to be .120 and anything that might come in contact with rocks at least .120... just my 2cents.. .120 HREW rocker guards on yotas dent and scratch faily well with time...

why such thin walled tube for the cage? ..

this is to be a light weight toy, heavier wall means more weight, if designed properly with diaganal bracing there is no need for thick wall

heres a Suzuki Swift based buggy I built , the thing is light and will go up any sand hill I aim it at, the tubing is smaller and lighter per foot then what I will be using for the Scoobie roo

steel is ordered and will bring home tomarrow

attachment.php?attachmentid=2955&d=1127165634