Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SJR Tube Buggy Build Thread 08

Scott in Bellingham

are you really keeping the roof that high?? you shouldn't need more than 4 inches above your head.

but looking good! working right along! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

what you see is a built in roof rack the actual roof will start lower, as far as the windshield goes Im going with a Samuri , this will eventually be licensed for the road so I want it DOT aproved glass

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha Rhino is 54.1 in wide

and i've seen them get tickets and warned to get off of atv trails. it all depends on how much the ranger wants to be a prick, and the fact that you have to be caught... the reason it's 48", is that's the width of the dnr bridges. the bridges at walker and tahuya my atv that's only about 46" wide barely squeezes. tahuya has 3' steel walls on their bridges so 48" maybe 50" if your lucky. the bridges at walker don't have rails, because the majority of them are barely 48" do to the fact that all the trails at walker are converted from single track. also different states have different width limits, our dnr the limit happens to be 48" bulge to bulge of the tire. forest service is about 50". not that there is more than a couple strictly designated atv trails in washington's NF

i'm just giving you a heads up. if the dnr says no go, it's just putting a smear on the wheeling community. there has been a big problem with rigs that are wider than the limit and 4x4's running the atv trails in WA.

You'll never regret having the cargo rack.

Unlike cars, Buggies have little storage space.

Just finding space for a jack, or spare is tough.

Adding space for a cooler, some drink holders, maps, straps, shovel, compressor and tools and spare parts is nearly impossible.

Keeping it all dry is worse.

...and now back to the build...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Scott, have you considered triangle gussets at the 90 deg junctions? Might add rigidity at a very low weight penalty, you could even put a large lightening hole in each gussett without comprimising shear/buckling strength.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...