Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bring your Mt. Bike to WCSS!

As if there already isnt enough to do at the show, I wanna do a short bike ride. Im planning on bringing my Mt. Bike with me, and I know a couple others are as well. I am going to start researching the area and maybe find a simple trail to play on. Maybe something 5miles out and 5miles back.

I know its real early to be planning stuff, but realisticly we got like 3 months before the show.

So who all is in?

-Brian

Lookin at some maps of astoria and it looks like there are some dirt roads that lead from the Fairgrounds to the Coast.

Only problem is I dont want to miss out on any WCSS activities, and the ride could take a couple hours depending on everybodies pace. But this isn't going to be a race, just an excuse to get out and see a different part of the west coast, so we promise we'll wait up for you Connie :)

Ok guys... where's what Im thinking. I found some dirt roads that lead from the fairgrounds to highway 30. Only thing I am unsure of is the elevation, wether there are hills or not. I took a couple screenshots of Yahoo Maps and highlighted the route:

wcss-bike1.JPG

Once we're on highway 30, it isnt far to the coast and im sure we can find a place to take a break and take in the scenery. Here's a look of the same map with the Satelite image turned on:

wcss-bike2.JPG

looking at the google terrain map it looks like most of that Mill Creek stretch is pretty level to the ocean, but it makes a climb up around where it meets Navy Pipeline continuing past Bonneville Powerline coming down after the large L and then coming back up again slight before going down to hit 202 by the fairgrounds...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=5271141640528619731,46.150773,-123.795117&saddr=92937+Walluski+Loop,+Astoria,+OR+97103+(Clatsop+County+Fairgrounds)&daddr=46.163544,-123.788109+to:Millcreek+Rd+and+Lower+Columbia+River+Hwy&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1&sll=46.162831,-123.781757&sspn=0.050411,0.087547&ie=UTF8&ll=46.175195,-123.80373&spn=0.0504,0.143852&t=p&z=13

not sure of the exact elevation gains... it doesn't look at high as Coxcomb Hill where the Astoria Column is... it's 5.5 miles each way...

maybe I should go over there and check it out one of these weekends...

--Spiffy

Thanks for that info John. Im thinking of altering the route, or making a loop if there isn't much interest in checking out the coast.

Here's a view of the same route, with the elevation map...

wcss-bike3.JPG

I also plan on having someone pace us with my Wagon incase we run into trouble and need to shuttle someone back ASAP or someone gets too winded to carry on.

I'll drag my bike along too, I have to get that thing in to the bike shop for a tuneup though, it sat outside while I was in Wyoming and even though it was under a cover, the bearings and chain rusted :( Gotta get a new tire for my wife's bike too, her brother tried to bunny hop it and blew the tire out and bent the rim lol