Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another a/c question: What refrigerant do I need?

I have a Hitachi a/c for EA82 imported from the U.S.: I don't know how the situation in the USA and Canada is, but here in Europe it's not permitted to use the orginal used R12 (at least Subaru Germany told me that this was the original) refrigerant (Freon-12) any more since many years now. So, what should I use instead? Is R134a possible or should I use R413a? Or anything else? Is there a way to make the a/c compatible with R134a and if so, how could I check if it's already done? I know, many question :) But Subaru Germany couldn't answer me any of them :(

Several years ago I read that hydrocarbon refrigerants (propane, butane) were legal and commonly used most everywhere in the world except in the United States as an alternative to R12. You might want to research this option. I personally haven’t tried it although I have considered it. Many people fear using a flammable refrigerant but it doesn’t seem like it’s nearly as hazardous as carrying around 15 or more gallons of gasoline.

I was told that the upgrade kit was basically new orings that were right for the new refrigerant, and an adapter for the fill port. I also understand that all the old needs to be pulled out VIA vacuum, but I have no idea how this was done.

and you probably need new o-rings anyway

what you want is a retrofit kit, most likely for use with 134a. they can be bought at auto parts stores around here. just remember that this is not a diy unless you're hvac qualified and if you're asking this question - you're not qualified. take it to a shop that regularly services automotive a/c's and they'll hook you up, its a routine proceedure.

OK, if it's just the O-Rings, that problem is solveable. Emptying the system wouldn't be a drawback since it's already empty :)

Sounds good, I will check with a local car parts service this afternoon for the O-Rings.

@mountaingoatgruff

The problem is that here in Germany you can't buy such a retrofit kit. At least Subaru Germany told me that yesterday. And third-party parts for a/c are non-existant. A friend of mine runs a small garage and he will fill the system but he has no real idea about Subaru a/c and so I try to figure out as much as possible.

Another question: What V-Belt size do I need for the Hitachi a/c system? I have troubles to find the right size since no one differentiates between the Hitachi and the Panasonic system. And when I bought them sometimes ago, the shop gave me the wrong ones... :(

In general an a/c wasn't very polular in Germany until the late 90ies and so sooner an a/c was - if at all - only in the upper class cars like Mercedes Benz, BMW or Audi. And since the upper class is or at least was dominated by German manufacturers you will surely get parts for that cars or their a/c nowadays but you have just lost with older exotic cars with a/c like Subaru :(

If only the O-Rings are problematic then there will be a solution for sure but no ready-to-use solution is available... Anyway, I will phone my buddy later, perhaps he has some idea about it.

I converted mine to R134a. It was not very hard. A friend has the vacuum machine to completely purge the system. Then we put the R134a in to replace the R12. I did not replace the dryer, I could not find one at any of the local parts stores. I have not had any problems with it in a little over a year. I did replace the o-rings on the back of the compressor with ones that were made for R134a. Good luck, it works very well, and is a lot cheaper.

Another question: What V-Belt size do I need for the Hitachi a/c system? I have troubles to find the right size since no one differentiates between the Hitachi and the Panasonic system. And when I bought them sometimes ago, the shop gave me the wrong ones... :(

Here is some info on the factory part numbers for belts, courtsey of MilesFox:

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/service/partsguide/loyale24.jpg

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/service/partsguide/loyale25.jpg

I too had problems finding the right belt so I just bought the factory one.

I vacuumed my R12 A/C system and put in R134a without changing orings or anything. It's been about 4 years now and it still works fine.

I vacuumed my R12 A/C system and put in R134a without changing orings or anything. It's been about 4 years now and it still works fine.

It's my understanding the refrigerant oils are different between r12 and r134a and are not interchangable.

It's my understanding the refrigerant oils are different between r12 and r134a and are not interchangable.

I've read both. This company says it is not a problem:

http://www.id-usa.com/how_to_faqs_retrofitting.asp#9

I've also read I 'need' to replace half of the components with new ones, flush the system, replace the dryer, etc., and I haven't done any of those things and frankly it's not worth it.