Ultimate Subaru Message Board

highest mileage?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

87 GL-10 t-wagon 236K on the body, bought the shell 6/03' now I can count the ORIGINAL parts on both hands---many scoobies cannibalized, but all in the name of education?,no more like four wheel drift!

tough and amazingly possible to fix(thanks mostly to Mudrat and Randy)

and PROST to all you folks for helping keep good cars going strong :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard it said by car dealers... typically the ones who sell some 'bigger' brand, and Subarus as a sideline brand... that they really hate selling someone a Subaru, because they know that's probably the last car that customer is going to need (!). From our experiences, I can believe that.

My first Soob, was a 1971 FF-1. EA71 1600 engine, 4spd tranny.

Got it with 50,000 miles on it, and it had 155,000 by the time I reluctantly parted with it. The engine and drivetrain were all original and still going strong. That car had bad brakes though - inboard drums that were subject to overheating in Tucson (haha), and natural rubber seals in the brake system that I'm told needed a special Subaru brake fluid. That is, regular DOT-3 fluid would disolve those seals... anyone remember about that?

The next Soob I had was a 1982 DL Hatchback, only midlevel trim, but a beautiful car. It had the EA81 engine, 5spd manual, all original, and it was at 248,000 and running strong, when it was totalled when a woman turned across my lane in Austin. That car burned no oil still and had good compression... it would have made 300,000 easy.

This current one is an 1988 GL wagon, EA82 1800 engine with 5spd dual range 4WD. I got it with 180,000 on it, and it's got 211,000 now... but it had a harder life before I found it. It's still on the original engine and drivetrain and clutch, but of course the timing belts and just about every gasket on the engine has been changed, always chasing oil leaks on this one. It MIGHT make somewhere in the high 200's eventually, no telling. I live so close to work nowdays though, I actually don't drive it but about 50 miles a week, so I'll probably wear out before it does :).

Originally posted by Fuji Fellow

I've heard it said by car dealers... typically the ones who sell some 'bigger' brand, and Subarus as a sideline brand... that they really hate selling someone a Subaru, because they know that's probably the last car that customer is going to need (!). From our experiences, I can believe that.

I took my car to a Subaru dealer to see if they could figure out why my engine slightly hesitates. The repair shop supervisor asked if I was remotely interested in a new car and I said "no" so quickly that I then apologized. I bought a 7 year old subaru back in 1988 and I've now had that car for almost 16 years.

"My first Soob, was a 1971 FF-1. EA71 1600 engine, 4spd tranny.

Got it with 50,000 miles on it, and it had 155,000 by the time I reluctantly parted with it. The engine and drivetrain were all original and still going strong."

i thought that the ea-71 engine came in the '77 and newer cars?

hhumph, oh well

Oh--I didn't know you meant over multiple cars. I might actually be in the running now...

EA82:

1987 GL10 4WD Turbo, 178K

1987 GL 2WD 5S, 150K

1988 DL 2WD 5S 183K (Formerly Moosens' famed "Clutchless Manual")

1988 DL 2WD auto 131K when the tranny blew up

1988 XT GL 2WD auto, 123K and counting

1989 DL 2WD 5S, 171K and has a new life as a loading dock

1989 DL 4WD 5S, 156K

1.1 million miles total

(it's 1,092,000 but the "spare change"more than makes up for the 6K that's unaccounted for...if not check back with my mom's XT in a month)

EA81:

1982 2wd GL wagon, 5S, 108K

1982 2wd GLF coupe, 3AT, 151K and counting

1984 GL D/R wagon, 155K and counting

1984 GL 5S wagon, 122K

536,000 miles, total, here

EK32:

1969 360 Sedan, 8,000 miles, parts

1969 360 sedan deluxe, 53,000 VERY hard miles (retired shriner's car), parts

1970 360 Sambar van, 60,000 miles, gutted-electric conversion project

1962 360 sedan deluxe, 132,000 miles and have the maintenance records to prove it. Still running strong (4 engines, 3 repaints, a reupholstery and three sets of new head gaskets [just on the current engine] later).

and just over a quarter of a million 360 miles logged here (253,000).

That comes to 1.881 million miles, or 2.033 million miles (including an '88 Justy RS, 17K; a '99 Forester, 75K; and a '75 wagon, 60K). All cars are currently in the collection except the '88 DL auto wagon that started it all.

hm... Does it count for high mileage on new cars?

45000 on an 03? hehe

I sold my 93 Legacy with 198,000 on it and it ran like a champ.. I made a run from WA to IL and came back through TX, NM, CO etc... just 2 months before I sold it. We had another 90 Legacy in the fam here and bought it with 188,000 on it and sold it at 250,000. The lady it was sold to is too cheap to repair or change the oile and for some reason we still see it running around the highway here... must be upwards of 300,000+ now. and thats running without an oil change... whew!

I just realized I'm a wagon only guy also! They sure come in great for video production.

I went from my very first car, a ford country sedan wagon, to my subaru wagon DL. My spare car is a very old toyota corolla wagon.

Even with the SUV craze instituted by Detroit marketing goons, I still think the roominess of my 23 year old Subaru Wagon combined with 27 MPG (combined city & freeway) is still a pretty good deal, and no car payments.

A picture is worth a thousand words. This is where the odometer died on the Brat, over 5 years ago. It just stopped working, and hasn't budged since. I know I've put over 50K on it in the past 5 years. So it's somewhere between 350K and 400K.

Mvc_003f.jpg

Of course the stock engine went not too long after the odo stopped, but I still have the motor in storage, still looks good, sure if I put it together it would run just fine.

Geez!! Where do you guys go??? :lol:

1991 Legacy 127k miles

1988 XT 105k miles

Both original everything...

The Legacy is going to be a brand-spanking new car before 2005, I guarantee it. Almost all oil leaks are stopped, the engine runs absolutely flawlessly, transmission is A-Okay, and it's getting a better-than-new paint job this summer.

The XT needs a bit more work, I'm afraid :(. Just realized today that one of the manifold studs stripped out the threads in the head :eek: so when I get the Legacy back on the road hopefully tomorrow, I'll park the XT and start doin some work to it.

I will probably keep both cars until they no longer move under their own power.

Hey northguy,

Our '86 GL 5sp carbed ea82 wagon has 244125 miles, but I put a 50K mile Japanese takeoff engine in it at 217314 miles. I'm not sure how long it will last - probably as long as I want it to and as long as I can find parts and am willing to do repairs.

I think you can keep just about any vehicle alive, if you're willing. We have a '92 Geo Metro XFI with 176000 miles on its little three banger that still gets 60 miles per gallon, and all I've done so far is replace the clutch once, did a brake job, regular tune-ups and oil changes.

We have a '93 Metro with over 200000 miles on it, but I had to put a $295 50K mile Japanese takeoff in it at 175000. I suppose I could get a million miles out of that car, but my wife would probably kill me by then... she really would like to get a newer car. 8-)

Good thread. Shows how much folks like their Subarus. Rick

no no, most miles in 1 week (cross country/state trips don't count) haha 1500 miles in 5 days.. :D

and if ya wanna go combined

290k 86' turbo wagon original

201k 89' ea81 hatchback original

219k 84' lifted ea81 hatch not original

184k 85' RX sedan not original

148k 88' gl wagon original

hehe 1,042,000 miles combined in my soobies.. haha :moon: