Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP

I've been having a strange problem with my 2000 Forester. When I accelerate I get a whistling sound. It seems to vanish once the car warms up a bit. :eek:

Everything seems to be functioning OK but this noise really bugs me.

Could it be a small leak in the muffler ?

Anyone have a clue what this might be ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

~Howard

:banana:

Whistling noises that disappear as the car warms tend to be from either exhaust or vacuum leaks, although some are caused by air passages that are "carboned" or otherwise "gunked". If the noise will show up when revving in neutral, you might be able to localize the problem.

On the other hand, if it's a "whining" noise, the source could be the alternator; sometimes that sound will be heard until the battery charge used to start the engine is replenished.

Whistling noises that disappear as the car warms tend to be from either exhaust or vacuum leaks, although some are caused by air passages that are "carboned" or otherwise "gunked". If the noise will show up when revving in neutral, you might be able to localize the problem.

On the other hand, if it's a "whining" noise, the source could be the alternator; sometimes that sound will be heard until the battery charge used to start the engine is replenished.

OB99W:

Does that mean my alternator is going bad or is this "normal" ?

~Howard

:eek:

Does that mean my alternator is going bad or is this "normal" ?
Sorry to say, I can't reassure you. I've heard some (my own, for example) do it for years without apparent problem, and some fail a short time after the whine develops. To some degree, it seems to depend on how loud the whining is. But...

Are you sure the alternator is the noise source, or is it just that I made you overly concerned? Don't panic.

Sorry to say, I can't reassure you. I've heard some (my own, for example) do it for years without apparent problem, and some fail a short time after the whine develops. To some degree, it seems to depend on how loud the whining is. But...

Are you sure the alternator is the noise source, or is it just that I made you overly concerned? Don't panic.

OB99W:

I'm not in a panic :eek::eek: . I just don't want to get stuck somewhere at night.

The noise is not very loud and you really have to listen for it.

Question: Can I get my mechanic to test the alternator? Would that show anything? It's still working and charging the battery.

~Howard

:slobber:

Can I get my mechanic to test the alternator? Would that show anything? It's still working and charging the battery.

~Howard

:slobber:

ALternators can easily be tested. Though, it might not be definative. I had one go, no warning or noise at all. It was a long walk.

I'm voting for alternator as well... but it would be something as simple as a slightly loose belt... or it could be the AC pump... my bet is on something with a belt attached...

get one of those automotive stethoscopes and get under the hood one morning...

--Spiffy