Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what rpm are you running at 60 in 5th?

i have a couple legacys and was wondering what you are running rpm wise at 60. i have a 96 2.2 outback that runs 3000 and one in my 90 legacy out of a 02-03 rs that runs 2500 at 60.

i need to find the lowest geared 5 speed out there. the rs tranny isn't working in my rally car, it's to high geared. 5th is just worthless on stage.

also if anyone gets bored what speed are you doing in each gear at 3000 rpm.

yup.....checked it on a few different roads...and how i got up to speed.....at 60 mph in 5th gear... im crusing at 1600 RPM...than at 80 mph...im at like 3500-3800 RPM

Just want to understand how you account for the fact that, at 60 mph, I and about every other poster cruise at more than 1000 rpm over your figure?

Bad tach?

Special trans or diff?

Illegal substances? :lol:

Edit : if true you would be going at 120 mph at 3,200 rpm....

i did put another trans in it about 3k ago but it was a used direct replacement......tach works perfect....even hooked up an external tach for a little while and they showed the same reading....i will give it another try on my way home....it was pretty early in the morning...:drunk:

basically i am looking to find what tranny has the lowest gear sets available. according to that tranny chart that floats around the ones front a second gen legacy outback or gt have the lowest gearing. i think i need to find one of those

yup just checked on the drive home....at 60 in 5th im at 1600-1800 RPM and at 80 mph im at 3000 RPM...also again checked my tac...little weird because its a DVOM and its a wastespark system....so you just divide by 2..and it matched my in car tach......

Naw, it doesn't work like that, speed increase isn't a direct relation to engine rpm.

I'm gonna have to check on the way home, sounds low, but maybe it is!

Will-

Its strictly proportional.

If 60mph is 2000 rpm, 120mph will be 4000 rpm.

Dave

Its strictly proportional.

If 60mph is 2000 rpm, 120mph will be 4000 rpm.

Dave

I stand corrected (well, sit corrected actually :-p ) I took a look on the way home and it does appear to be a direct relation, learn something new everyday!

I was at about 2750rpm for 60mph with stock wheels/tires (205 70 R15) for my '96 2.2L OBW 5spd.

Maybe, Evo, you've got non stock tires/wheels?

yeah i do....i have 17 inch ASA rims on 205/45/17........i think stock is 14 inch steeles with 185/?/14........so what is this telling me.....is my engine RPM still correct....i went by a speed sensor for the cops the other day and i regestered perfectly.....25 in a 25...... its been fine for me and all my tests check out so as far as i know and everyone else who drives my car knows its normal......

yeah i do....i have 17 inch ASA rims on 205/45/17........i think stock is 14 inch steeles with 185/?/14........so what is this telling me.....is my engine RPM still correct....i went by a speed sensor for the cops the other day and i regestered perfectly.....25 in a 25......

The plot thickens....

I punched your stock and current sizes into a size calculator

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

and the two sizes are virtually identical. So.... are you sure you got a direct replacement tranny? Are the rpm numbers different then what you remember from your last tranny?

What kind of mileage do you get?

well....yes the RPM ranges are the same from this trans and the old one.....i believe im getting pretty good gas mileage (about 24 mpg average)......everything about the 2 trans seemed identical....all i know is that it came out of another 96 legacy 2.2 and it bolted right up no problem.....

[...]at 60 mph in 5th gear... im crusing at 1600 RPM...than at 80 mph...im at like 3500-3800 RPM
Sorry, but that just doesn't "compute". There's a pretty linear relationship between road speed and engine speed in any particular gear. Let's assume you're turning 3600 RPM at 80 MPH. Then you would be doing about 60/80 times 3600 at 60 MPH. That reduces to 3/4 of 3600, or 2700 RPM at 60 MPH.

[...]alrighty here we go i just got a pic of it....
Let's assume for the moment that the picture represents actuality. If that's the case, engine RPM at 80 MPH should be 4/3 of that at 60 (in 5th gear at both road speeds), or about 2200 RPM (not "3500-3800 RPM").

If the RPM reading at 60 is accurate, then 3500-3800 at 80 indicates a really badly slipping clutch at the slightly higher road speed. :rolleyes: I'd be more inclined to think the instrumentation is wrong. :)

If you're looking for the lowest gear, you're looking for an SVX tranny. 3.545 final drive. At 60, it's about 1800-1900rpm. At 80, it's about 2700-2800rpm. Other than that, you can go to a 3.900 which is the final drive of some of the early Legacy 5MT's.

Evo, I only see this as a math and/or mechanical enigma. That's the only reason you've got me interested in it. It's also a challenge for reasonning.

Argument 1 (a fact): nobody else gets the speed rpm relationship that you get. With comparable engines and trans, people get around 1000 rpm more than you do at the same speed.

Hypotheses 1 : You're not really going 60 miles an hour.

Answer 1 : You've tested your speed and it's exact.

Hypotheses 2 : You've got a non standard trans and/or diffs.

Answer 2: You've got a standard trans and standard diffs.

Hypotheses 3: You're tach is off.

Answer 3: you've tested your tach and it's exact.

Final conclusion : Since you're speed and tach are right, since your trans and diffs are standard and since you register around 1000 rpms less than the rest of us at the same speed, your car is host to a miracle.:banana::clap:

In all logic, I dont see another possible explanation.

I did'nt think a car forum would be, for me, the place for a life transforming spriritual experience but I must admit this is it. Where will all this lead me ? I dont know yet. Wish me luck.