Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some pics of the hatch. 56k go get another... Coke.

TheYeti

Got all the windows tinted finally. Next up is going to be rewiring and installing a new audio system with a small sub in the back.

Enjoy trying to figure out how to mount bigger than 4" round speakers in the stock locations in the back. You are going to have to do some hacking to fit anything bigger cause 4" rounds sound like crap. For the dash you can mount 4X6" speakers in the stock locations. I used Infinity plate speakers. Passenger side bolted right up. Drivers side i had to make a custom mount using the old speaker mount and cutting it in half. If you would like more info on this you can PM me and ill send you a link to pics as well as give you better instructions. Best part is...no hacking of the stock dash except to mount the headunit and you get to make it look all factory with a nicer sound system.

Enjoy trying to figure out how to mount bigger than 4" round speakers in the stock locations in the back. You are going to have to do some hacking to fit anything bigger cause 4" rounds sound like crap. For the dash you can mount 4X6" speakers in the stock locations. I used Infinity plate speakers. Passenger side bolted right up. Drivers side i had to make a custom mount using the old speaker mount and cutting it in half. If you would like more info on this you can PM me and ill send you a link to pics as well as give you better instructions. Best part is...no hacking of the stock dash except to mount the headunit and you get to make it look all factory with a nicer sound system.

I want a 4x6 set in the front. Like you said, it won't be a problem for the right side, but I was wondering how to do it for the stock location on the left. If you could send me those details of what you did for yours, I would appreciate it and will return the favor to the community by sharing the details when I dive into this project.

My other thought was to use 4" components. I would mount the woofer in the factory dash locations, but the tweeters would be mounted up behind the vents.

My plan is to get some 5.25" speakers in the back. I have a friend that loves to play with fiberglass and fabricate stuff... like, speaker mounts :) The sub, which is just a amplified Boss Audio thing designed to go under a seat, will just sit in the back. Nothing shnazzy, but can be easily consealed with a folded blanket or jacket.

Edited by TheYeti

Mods feel free to make a post of this in the stereo install section of the USRM

Ok ill post here so everyone can see as well as give you step by steps of how to do the install. First off here are the pics.

http://cardomain.com/ride/724118/3

As i said the passenger side is direct bolt in with the 4x6 plate speaker. I used infinity Kappas cause i found some good deals on Ebay and i wanted the best sound i could get. Drivers side i had to get creative. When you take the Stock speaker out you will have to remove the speaker grill. Be VERY careful as this is brittle now and could break if you squeeze the top too much. You are going to be able to reuse it and cover up the speaker again to make it look factory so you dont want to break it. Take the lower dash panel out. Then remove the bottom screw for the speaker as well as the other screws holding the fuse box tray in. If you can avoid it dont remove the back one cause its a PITA to put back with the ground and all. Then remove the top screws and the speaker will come out along with its metal mount. Remove the speaker from the mount and do what u wish with the speaker. Mine is going in the trash if it hasnt been thrown out by the rents already. Now to use the original mount i cut the top part of it off and the bottom part of it, marked and drilled holes using the plate speakers as reference, and then bolted the now two mounts to the top and bottom of the plate speaker (this is shown best in picture #4,5, and 6). I had to do some bending and fiddling and some trimming of insulation on the inside of the dash but it will fit. Then its just a matter of putting it all back together. When you go to put the bottom dash trim piece back on you will have to make a piece of metal to extend the trim piece to its new hole. Im not sure i have a picture of that but you will see what needs to be done when you get to that point. Also the fuse box will not be perfectly level ever again. There is just no getting around this when putting that big of a speaker in. It doesnt look bad IMO though. Hope this helps.

Do you have a time machine. somewere?

man, have you ever seen the andy grifith episode were goober has the car inside of the courthouse while andy returns from vacation???????

I would get azzz and take down a wall to put that thing somewer in the house. ok well atleast the garage (temp controlled) on carpet.:slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber:

• 11 months later...

I received a few updated pictures of the hatch so I will just post them here. Since the last update, I have installed KYB GR-2s, replaced a bad front wheel bearing, added a set of Hella 550 fogs, a custom exhaust, new tires, and tint. I am sure there have been a few other things since as well. Future modifications will include the installation of some 99 RS seats, and a new sound system, and a DeMoss built Weber carb.

Enjoy.

picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=1691

picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=1688

picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=1689

Edited by TheYeti

• 4 years later...

Hey Yeti- That's an awesome hatch, I missed this post the first time around. Cool to see a sweet gen 2 hatch in this area. Love it!

Funny to see this come to the top because of a stereo, because I too am in the process of wiring my gen 2 hatch for sound. Please don't take this as me trying to steal your thunder. Nay, consider this a challenge! It's the Rocky Mountain Gen 2 Hatch Rock-Off!!!!

Here's what I have going so far.  A year ago or so I put in this head unit and polk 4 x 6 speakers in the stock dashboard locations.

speaker2_zps87033d02.jpg

I have to admit I am a novice to car audio, but I am somewhat of an audiophile with my home stereo. I am a huge fan of Pioneer in particular, mostly because of all of the receiver/amps I've owned over the years, the one that has stuck as a staple in my home is my 1975 Pioneer sx-850, a wonderful sounding and beautiful looking solid state gem. Anyways- back to hatchbacks.

I bought this stuff: the amp is 4 x 60 watts the speakers are 6" x 9"

speaker3_zpsce917ae8.jpg

One benefit I have is that I don't have an interior in my hatch right now.  I have a complete interior pretty much ready to go in. I am thinking thatI don't want a back seat in my car, instead I'll set it up for my dog to ride in. It seems those side buckets in the back are a good place to stick the speakers without cutting anything. I figured I could set them flush and only cut the plastic buckets, but for one I don't like the idea of the magnet getting that close to the body of the car (these are really beefy magnets, I am psyched to hear these speakers they seem to be built really well) and speakers should not be pointed at each other, so here is what I am thinking-

I removed the buckets from the interior trim and made two of these-

speaker_zps702d0e9b.jpg

and used some steel tubing and rubber bushings to mount the speakers like this-

IMG_1213_zpsa155f005.jpg

So they will be aimed at the middle of the front of the cabin.  Couple changes I will make- the tubing needs cut to half length, as the speakers don't need to stick out that much, they just need to clear the lower quarter trim and there is still room in the bucket to set them back without the speaker touching the uncut bucket. And I will fill the bucket behind the speaker with insulation.

Should sound great, I am really impressed with the quality of these speakers. Have NOT heard them yet, but they are obviously well built, the cones are made of some space technology obviously stolen from intergalactic visitors. They are gorgeous. To hold them in your hands, you can feel the awesome.

IMG_1215_zps99b08dc9.jpg

Your move Yeti, let's get these hatches rockin!

Edited by the sucker king
  • Like 1

I am curious to see how you make use of the stock rear locations, is that still your plan?  I have a cool idea to furthur improve what I have going, and that is to find a pair of 4" drivers- just woofers, like you would find in a good bookshelf speaker and mount them in those stock holes. run them off of a second amp. I'll bet it would make a big improvement at low to normal listening volume to have that bass boost. I don't need big subwoofers- I don't listen to anything that would benefit from that. Let's face it- if you are high enough that dubstep sounds good, you shouldn't be driving.

• Like 1

My sound system will not be anything fancy.  I plan to pick up a Clarion CZ702 head unit, which has built in hi and low pass crossover set up.  This is good since the head unit will be powering the four main speakers.  I have an 8" dual-voice Image Dynamics sub for the lows.  It will be powered by an old Alpine amplifier I had sitting around.

I do plan to use the factory location for all speakers and also plan to Rammat the entire car.  The sub is already mounted in a custom built enclosure I made from fiberglass and some cardboard concrete tube.

I am going to start removing the back seat, carpet and rear panels tonight.  Once it is all out, I will install some Rammat, speaker wire, and the rear 5.25" speakers.

Does anyone have some hints for removing the back seat?  I haven't done it for an EA series.

j.

the backs of your rear seats are probably two halfs,  correct? You just pop the latches like you are putting them down and wiggle them out of the bottom holsters. You just have to unscrew the seats from the rear cargo carpet. If you want to take the bench out it comes out via (2) 12mm bolts at the bottom front. Hopefully I'll get some work done on mine this weekend. I got some phat mat as well.

The new head unit should be here today; Clarion CZ702.  Hopefully I get some time to start gutting the old and installing the new speaker wire, speakers and such over the weekend!  It will be nice to get some decent sound into the car.  I have been listening to the stock AM/FM stereo for the past several years.

Bleh!