Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kinda urgent: Connecting Headlight Wiring harness

what car (year, model, engine) are you putting this into, and what headlight setup is it? that'll help...

Sorry about that. Got in a rush

96 Legacy Outback, 2.2.

It's the driver's side headlight. The connector harness for the 9003 bulb. The thing melted and I want to replace it.

I replaced the one in my 95 a while back. Since the plug has 2 vertical and 1 horizontal blade if you look at the old plug (or the passenger side one) it's fairly easy to tell which wire goes to which blade, then you know which of the new colors go by matching the blade positions.

I replaced the one in my 95 a while back. Since the plug has 2 vertical and 1 horizontal blade if you look at the old plug (or the passenger side one) it's fairly easy to tell which wire goes to which blade, then you know which of the new colors go by matching the blade positions.

Makes much sense. Tried it. The bulb lights up and nothing sparked, exploded, or melted, so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, My 96 legacy wagon has the SAME problem in the Passenger light. It has a low beam no high though. We Put a new pigtail in and still it won't fix that problem. Have you gotton any help on it? DEDE

Sorry about that. Got in a rush

96 Legacy Outback, 2.2.

It's the driver's side headlight. The connector harness for the 9003 bulb. The thing melted and I want to replace it.

Hi, My 96 legacy wagon has the SAME problem in the Passenger light. It has a low beam no high though. We Put a new pigtail in and still it won't fix that problem. Have you gotton any help on it? DEDE
Welcome to the forum.

Judging by "The bulb lights up and nothing sparked, exploded, or melted, so I think I'm good to go.", I'd say hawksoob solved the problem.

Let's see if we can narrow down the possible causes of your inoperative passenger-side high beam. Since the low beam works, that eliminates the fuse and headlight relay for that side. Assuming the driver's side high beam works, the light switch can't be causing the problem. That leaves either wiring/connections or the high-beam filament in the headlamp itself is open.

Do you have a 12 volt test lamp or a volt-ohmmeter to check things?