Ultimate Subaru Message Board

are all ea81 y-pipes the same?

I'm looking at replacing my y-pipe and wonder if any ea81 y-pipe will fit on my wagon... does it matter if it's from a brat or a hatch? will the length still be the same so that it meets the flange at the right place to the rest of the exhaust?

mine has the little spacers off the heads that turn the flange 90 degrees, but I assume that it's optional depending on which one I get whether those flanges are pointing the correct way...

--Spiffy

I've already got 2 spacers (one on each side) so I shouldn't need to worry about that... I think... since if I got one that was longer to the heads I could just remove the spacers...

I think the thing I'm most concerned with is the length back to the flange where it meets the next section of exhaust... mine is about 45" from flange to flange (not too exact since I measured it on the car)...

what are ASV's?

--Spiffy

what are ASV's?

air suction valve

I have replaced the y pipe on my ea81 hatch with one off of a ea82 carb car. Fit on just fine. The only thing is that you will have to modify the hanger bracket to attach it to your car on the underside by the donut gasket.

Removing the spacers from the heads can be a royal P.I.N.T.A. Also the fange a the end of the Y-Pipe where it meet the mid pipe are not all the same either. 80 and 81 used a flat gasket between the pipe sections, 83+ use a donut and 82 used one or the other; I can't remember which.