Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Death of the Brat

kbb wont even go back that far.... but dont be surprised if they give you a hit figure of like $750 "just because of the mileage" or some bull like that. Likely the first number you hear from them wont be what you expect... so dont take it unless its like $2500-4000 or something halfway reasonable

Hopefully you get near enough out of it to buy Ed's brat :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HA! tell whomever that you found a replacement (ed's). all it will take is a $4,500 check from them to cover the purchase, pick up/transport costs. prolly won't work but you never know. $4,500 is peanuts for them and it would get it off the books on your end....

sorry about the brat..glad you came out ok.

had a women pull out in front of me w/my 86 gl wagon and i ended up hitting her at her right side fender towards the bumper.i guess i just about took the front end off..my soob was still drivable.front end was shifted sideways,pushed my rad into engine(but didn't spring leak somehow..)

and something riped a hole in the hood..:-\ (insult to injury,she didn't have insurance and out of work..)

my experience,State Farm doesn't like to give money out..make sure you stand your ground.

I'm still waiting to hear back from State Farm... I bet they're having a hard time finding adds of 1984 Brats (with Jump Seats) for sale... I think Ed's is the only one out there right now. (again with jump seats).:headbang:

If I don't hear from them tomorrow I'll be giving them a call and checking up on them.

Interesting that the view of the interior is from the passenger seat. I bet the driver's side seat doesn't look so great. Nice to see the price going up and the bidding action active.

Interesting that the view of the interior is from the passenger seat. I bet the driver's side seat doesn't look so great. Nice to see the price going up and the bidding action active.

Yeah, I wonder how big the cracks in the console are :)

I'd be tempted to buy for parts but the price is a little high.

Plus my other Brat came from Florida and is completely rusted out underneath.

Carb - How about a Road Trip ! :lol:

Steve

while I would be VERY wary of repairing that vehicle for road use unless you were doing both sides from the firewall forward transplant, or something similar in its drastic nature... I think it would be a CRIME to let this be the death of the vehicle.

Get some steel to weld into it and make a dedicated rig out of this sucker! Take the doors, tailgate, interior, ANYTHING "decent" off of it ind make it a doorless, heck even fenderless BUGGY out of... maybe not entirely fenderless, but do a chop job on them and lift the thing up and DO IT!

I'm trying to paint a picture of what that BRAT still has plenty of potential to be.. with a ridiculous amount of steel welded to the chassis from firewall forward, and a bunch more welded around the shape that the car once was in the front, a little beaten-quality just make it a rig with battle scars! If you do not want to do this, then find someone who does to sell the shell with running engine and trans to, and then either have or sell the doors, gate, interior etc.

You could possibly net as much as $700-1000 if you sell the BRAT for 500 running to someone, and the stripped for 200 or more?

And DEFINITELY find ads for BRATs from the past, and get back to THEM with evidence before they get back to YOU. If the market is lean right now, then they will be HARD pressed to come up with any argument under $4k, IF you show them sales from the past. If you are researching past sales, you can conveniently IGNORE any good deals... if I were you, the discovery that the market is scarce would have me glued to my PC 24/7. google "wayback machine" for a website that has a way of searching old internet pages, and see if you can't use that to search thru old auto trader or craigslist ads.

Carl, I put an inquiry in to autotrader with the following:

1982 to 1987 Brat

Any distance from 98021

$100 to $10000 price range.

In the whole country, they only had ONE listing.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=244948521&dealer_id=62645685&car_year=1985&model=BRAT&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1982&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=32&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=SUB&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=100&body_style=TRUCKS&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=98021&advanced=&end_year=1987&doors=&transmission=&max_price=10000&cardist=1720

Good grief that's an unbelievable link!

Jeeze, by the time I got on here to look at it, the add is already gone. Still haven't herd from EITHER insurance company, I've called both several times and left voice mails, I'm thinking it's now time to get an attourney.:mad:

Well good news everyone, the insurance company called and gave me a totaled offer. $3800 bucks. I took it. Only because I know thats more than I could have sold that thing for before it was hit. :banana: I'm really surprised they didn't low ball me after all this time.

Next project: The 86' Xt Turbo

Well good news everyone, the insurance company called and gave me a totaled offer. $3800 bucks. I took it. Only because I know thats more than I could have sold that thing for before it was hit. :banana: I'm really surprised they didn't low ball me after all this time.

Congratulations :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

That is A LOT of wod :eek:

So what are you doing with the Brat? ? ? ?

Steve

Cool, still want to buy mine? If you got $3800 I should maybe raise the price on mine.:lol: Just kidding.

WOW!!! if insurance companies are paying $3800 for a totalled brat... maybe I should buy this $1600 one and drive it into a drunk driver. That's a $2200 profit!

Im glad you got the settlment you were looking for. This only means the price of every brat in existance is certain to jump another $1000 :(

Have I got a deal for you!

And you would have money left over :headbang:

WOW!!! if insurance companies are paying $3800 for a totalled brat... maybe I should buy this $1600 one and drive it into a drunk driver. That's a $2200 profit!

Im glad you got the settlment you were looking for. This only means the price of every brat in existance is certain to jump another $1000 :(

Judging how few running Brats are left, the value is bound to increase. Looks like mine is looking better and better.

thats a good insurance payout i think. I don't even carry full coverage on mine, just liability, cause I never figured insurance would pay that much. Might have to re-evaluate my coverage. I bought my Brat with a few factors in mind,

1. is that they are becoming more rare, and it would at the very least hold the value even after I put miles on it.

2. I wanted a project

3. Better gas mileage and more fun than a legacy turbo

4. I didn't want to take my civic out of storage.

5. wanted to show off to the Chevy Ford Dodge crowd around here.