Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Control Module

Is it common for the ignition control modules to go out?

I'm trying to find one for an 84 ea81 but they are rediculously expensive new and I don't have any place to get junk parts. Does anyone have one thats known to be good?

How much would it cost for one of you guys to get a whole distrib from a junk yard?

A complete rebuilt dist. with module cost me about $160 from Schucks auto supply. Just the module is about $150. so yea... stupid not to just by a new Dist. and drop it in if you want new or find one at a junk yard.

How to determin which make you have is there are numbers on the side.

D4Rxxxx is Hitachi I think. Too the left of the number is the Hitachi stamp...kind of looks like a Niki sign...

I think it will actually tell on the part, if the decal isn't gone. The NipponDenso will just say ND. But there will be numbers stamped on the distributor, get those and post them if your're still not sure. They will interchange, Hitachi and ND.

From your other post, I think you have the Hitachi. The ND has the ignition modules as two large pieces up top; the Hitachi has the ignition module down below the star shaped piece on the shaft. Drop me a PM if you want an ignition module. I can send you a used working one (from my Brat) for about $15. Drop me a PM if you like.