Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i've got both intakes on the bench and i've got the ej25's harness wired onto the ej22 manifold.

the wiring for the injectors, temp sensors, oil pressure unit, knock sensor and purge solenoid are all the same, no problems there.

here's the stuff that's not the same:

iacv are both three wires and each set has the same colors so it should be okay to simply swap connectors there, we'll see.

crank pos sensor has a 3wire connector on ej22, but 3rd wire looks like its just shielding so i should be able to eliminate it and swap ej25's 2wire connector onto sensor, we'll see here too.

ej22 has a 4wire tps and ej25 is a 3wire but i've just swapped the entire ej25 tb onto the ej22 manifold, plugging the extra two vac ports used by the ej25's egr (ej22 has no egr).

i also swapped the ej25 coil onto the ej22 manifold, since they're both female towers it's easier than cutting and soldering the ej25 connector onto the ej22 coil. only thing is i had to sandwich a couple plain m6 washers between the manifold and coil on each bolt, the ej25 coil bottoms out on the manifold and also the bolts are too long - the washers take care of both problems.

ej22 has no egr, so i have no egr solenoid to plug the ej25 harness into. i guess i'll be forced to eliminate the egr solenoid this time...:rolleyes:

my only real concern is with the cam position sensor and cam sprocket. the ej25 sensor has the same body as the ej22 and it bolts right up. problem is the patterns on the cam sprockets are different. the ej25 dohc has a 3-1-1-1 pattern while the ej22 sohc has a 3-1-2-1 pattern. the sprockets look to be the same diameter - i haven't checked fitment beyond that cuz i don't want to pull the t-belts till i have the stuff to put it back together. has anyone ever put an dohc ej25 sprocket on an ej22 to fix this issue? are the shafts, keyslots, tooth count, etc. the same?

i should be getting the t-belt and all for the ej22 later this week and i hope to have it done this weekend. if nobody can say for certain whether the ej25 cam sprocket will fit on the ej22 cam and solve the signal pattern issue then i'll have pulled them apart to check by then.

i just pulled each cam sprocket and closely compared them. they're the same size, same tooth count, same width and the ej25 sprocket fits nicely over the ej22 cam snout. so it seems to me i should be able to put the ej25 cam position sensor and accompanying sprocket on the ej22. only question is whether this will fool the computer into running the ej22 correctly or if it will reject it for some reason or if this setup will cause other issues.

the only discrepancy i noticed was that the rear edge of the ej25 sprocket sits out almost 1/32" further from the block than the ej22's but it should be fine cuz the ej22 belt was off the back edge of the cam sprockets by more than that.

i'm just wondering now if i shouldn't run both ej25 intake sprockets on the ej22 just for balancing's sake. the ej25 sprockets are composite and much lighter so i think i'll stick both of them in there, makes sense to me at least.

i know its a nice holiday weekend and everyone's probably out enjoying themselves like i should be so when ever someone gets a chance i could really use some input if its out there...

edit:

i've read some previous threads about swapping ej22's into ej25 cars and nobody mentions anything about the cam sprockets. am i barking up a fallen tree here?

Use the 2.2 sprockets.

Bolt the IAC from the 2.5 where the 2.2 IAC was. Then it will plug right in.

You will get EGR codes constantly. You need an intake with it and to drill the LH head out for the EGR pipe.

Use the 2.2 sprockets.

i read some more and it seems this has worked fine for others. i'm still confused about why the different pickup pattern wouldn't cause the ecu to malfunction or throw a code. are they designed to work with either cam sprocket or something?

Bolt the IAC from the 2.5 where the 2.2 IAC was. Then it will plug right in.

good suggestion, i didn't think to check that they could be swapped - too worried about the cam sensor issue i guess. that'll give me an opportunity to properly clean it, too.

You will get EGR codes constantly. You need an intake with it and to drill the LH head out for the EGR pipe.

when i was having trouble with the egr solenoid on my spfi ea81 GD and Gloyale suggested that i eliminate the solenoid by replacing it with a resistor. i found a good soleniod so i didn't have to but since the ej22 has no egr could i use that trick here or is there another way the ecu will be checking that the egr is functioning?

i can tell the dude that owns the car he needs another intake so he can have the egr but i'm sure he'll say he doesn't want to pay for that and he'll just ignore it when his cel comes on. he's a friend-of-a-friend that is pretty much a tightwad, i'm trying to help our mutual friend. it won't really matter until he goes to smog it and in ca you fail immediately if your cel is on. then its anybody's guess what he'll say/do. seems i'll be headed to the jy to find an egr equipped intake - maybe i can take it out of what he gives me for other parts if there's enough left over then i'll just hide the other intake.;)