Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5lug swap cross member ?

del

What I have; 1988 gl wagon, 5sp dr tranny, modified turbo cross member.

what I want; 5lugs from a xt6.

Question will the xt6 cross member work in my ea82 wagon?

thanks del

edit; my car is not turbo charged, and this is why my cross member is modified.

:confused:

I'm assuming engine crossmember?

why is your turbo crossmember modified? and even if it is, don't need to swap it out to go 5-lug.

the XT6 engine crossmember will fit. but the XT6s use a very different power steering system, and, as a result, I don't think the EA82 steering rack will bolt up the crossmember, and converting to the XT6 system would be a definite downgrade.

:confused:

I'm assuming engine crossmember?yes

why is your turbo crossmember modified?to clear the nonturbo exaust and even if it is, don't need to swap it out to go 5-lug.I here you have to modify the hole where the lower control arm bolts, plus get rid of my hacked up cross member

the XT6 engine crossmember will fit. but the XT6s use a very different power steering system, and, as a result, I don't think the EA82 steering rack will bolt up the crossmember, and converting to the XT6 system would be a definite downgrade.ok back to the original plan

del

yea, the hole where the control arm bolt is larger on most XT6 arms (seems that FWD ones are the exception...). but that only takes a few minutes to hit the holes with a drill bit. don't even need to take it out.

I'd leave it as-is.

The XT6 crossmember also has wider spacing between the bolts that mount it to the frame rails.

I'm not 100%, but I'm thinking the mount bosses for the steering rack are reversed on the XT6 crossmember vs the rest of the EA-82 ones. There's a round one, and a square one on each, but they're flipped side to side.