Ultimate Subaru Message Board

22R head removal

So who here has done a 22R head? I have to replace the head on my toyota. Im reading the FSM i have, and im wondering if there are any tips or tricks I can use to avoid some of the more difficult work... like the timing chain?

If I remove the sprocket and keep the chain attatched, is it possible to reinstall the sprocket with the new head and not have to worry about timing?

Stuff like that.

Thanks

-Brian

• 4 months later...

Haven't done one myself, but I've heard that it's somewhat common to break off a head bolt or two b/c of coolant/water getting in and seizing the threads. I'd just be real careful breaking 'em loose...maybe try gently applying an impact wrench, as the chattering can help break loose stuck threads sometimes (I've had good luck with this on Cummins exhaust manifold bolts).

A toyota guru friend of mine said that the timing chain guides like to wear out on the 22Rs, so I would have a long hard look at those, or just plan on replacing the chain, guides, and tensioner as PM at this point while it's already apart that far.

Depending on the mileage of the 22r I would recomend replacing the timing chain backing plate as well since they wear out over time and it ends up going into the coolant passage behind it. If you end up just replacing the head you should just try and keep the chain in the same position on the lowers sprocket and remove the head. Also the upper cam gear needs to go back on with the same side out as you took it off. A friend of mine put his on backwards and it wouldn't run. Cheers.

Yeah, thanks guys. I finished the head job a couple weeks ago. Was pretty easy. Zip tied the chain to the timing sprocket. Also, I removed the chain with the #1 cyl at TDC, then I used a center punch and marked the position of the cam.

I transfered the old cam to the new head, and when I reassembled it all I verified the position of the cam had not changed. It fired right up and has never ran so good.

I didnt look at the guides or anything. Im not overly concerned about it at this point.

I didnt look at the guides or anything. Im not overly concerned about it at this point.

Just a helpful tip; you should really take a look at those guides. Especially if it's a high mileage motor, and what 22r isn't? He gave you some good info there. The guides wearing out is what allows the chain enough play to wear the backing plate. Then you lose coolant, and wipe out your new head.... :mad:

Seen it happen twice. No bueno.

• 1 month later...