Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Extra wide rear view mirror used by Police and trucks - where to get online?

Saw this in Hammacher catalog but sure it can be bought for half the price from a good online automotive parts store. I'd prefer one that could entirely replace my standard mirror rather than strap on. Anyone know where I can find one?

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74978.asp#

The No Blind Spot Rear View Mirror.

This is the rear view mirror used by police officers and professional racecar drivers to eliminate blind spots. The patented, seamless mirror has a 180° field of view (standard mirrors offer only 52°) that provides a distortion-free reflection of rear traffic across an entire five-lane highway, and it allows continuous monitoring of adjacent vehicles from the moment they begin to pass until they are visible in your peripheral vision. The mirror automatically reduces the headlight glare of trailing vehicles by 50%, clamps to your existing rear view mirror without requiring the use of tools or adhesives, and is entirely shatterproof. 15 3/4" W x 2 3/4" H x 3/4" D. (10 oz.)

Duty Free to Canada- Click for details

Item 74978 ................... $59.95

Available for Immediate Shipment.

Now THATS a good idea. Coppers here use standard mirrors in their commodores....we dont have that kinda technology down here yet :lol:

Might be keen on one for myself but am concerned about how much it would distort the image to give such a wide field of view.

Now THATS a good idea. Coppers here use standard mirrors in their commodores....we dont have that kinda technology down here yet :lol:

Might be keen on one for myself but am concerned about how much it would distort the image to give such a wide field of view.

I thought it was a great idea. Remember that it's wider than a standard mirror so I don't think the distortion would be too bad and I think you'd get used to it quickly. Seems like a great mirror for driving on any wide roads with many lanes.

As a motorcycle rider, these things bother me. A buddy of mine has one in his vovlo wagon. I think it still misses a bit on the driver's side but he insists he can see everything and never checks lanes before changing anymore. I think it leads to a false sense of security.

Checking your lanes before you change is good advice. Probably why it's in the driver's manual for each of the 6 states I've lived in:)

just my .02

As a motorcycle rider, these things bother me. A buddy of mine has one in his vovlo wagon. I think it still misses a bit on the driver's side but he insists he can see everything and never checks lanes before changing anymore. I think it leads to a false sense of security.

Checking your lanes before you change is good advice. Probably why it's in the driver's manual for each of the 6 states I've lived in:)

just my .02

Good point, but having a better mirror AND checking lanes is the best of all worlds. I always check lanes before changing lanes.

the Hammacher one is the only one linked here that is NOT a convex lense...

both the seenontvproducts.net and jcwhitney.com ones are convex and distort the rear view, much like a right/passenger-side mirror... beware, objects in mirror are closer then they appear!

not even sure if it's legal to have one of those as your center rear-view...

or you could go with the multi-panel "Wink"style that has 4 or 5 flat mirror panels... straight outa the 80's!

--Spiffy

A review on the Wink says no distortion, but also no glare protection and a significant loss of windshield view, which makes me think that the best balance is probably a no-distortion no-glare mirror like the Hammacher that isn't as long as the Wink (though it would be nice to find one cheaper than the Hammacher). Are there any that would fit this criteria?

http://www.axsystech.com/BBB/Mirrors_Eval.htm

WINK 5 panel

field of vision: 160-170 degrees

mounting: remove exist mirror & visors, L-brackets bolt to old sun visor holes w/ finagling

adjustability: none by design

dimensions: 35.5"x2-5/8"

weight: mirror=18.0 oz brackets=6.2 oz

features: built-in sun visor

cost: $24.95 +$7.50 S&H

sources: http://www.truechoice.com/store/bresults.asp?whl=1

http://www.talbotco.com/cat_body.htm http://www.howeracing.com/cockpit/cockpit11/index11.htm

Observations: The Wink gives the most accurate overall image of what is behind or to either side of you. It also has the least visual distortion of mirrors evaluated. There is no depth distortion but field of view is fractured by separate glass panels. Being such a large mirror, it takes a great amount of eye movement to verify images from one side to the other. Although Wink offers 3 and 4 panel designs (which I have not tested) I suspect that with fewer panes, the field of view would be reduced and/or the rearward image would not be as continuous as the 5 panel.

The Wink takes up a lot of windshield space. This is its biggest drawback. Not being able to see stop lights when at an intersection without cranning your neck, or any part of the top 15% of the windscreen is a definite problem. The Wink offers no night anti-glare protection. There is no factory provision for sun-visor, though mirror acts as visor at higher sun angles. It is also the heaviest of mirrors.

Note: Wink Mirror Modification from BMW-CCA tech tips http://www.bmwcca.org/tips/tipbody1.shtml Offers a suggestion to reduce headlight glare by installing a tinted plastic Sun Shield, available from Pilot Industries, 14314 Shadywood, Plymouth, Ml 48170 for $3. The 17" shield has clamps to be mounted on standard sun visors but adapts very well to the Wink. Sun Shields are also available in 15, 22, 25 and 28-inch models.