Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Memorial Day Subaru Adventure Like No Other

Well I had a very interesting EA71 to pick up out in the desert. And S'ko had lined up an SVX to look at. So we found a couple of wrecking yards between points A and B, decided to fork up the gas money, and we spent 15 hours on memorial day scouting soobs in far off places.

The first yard we stopped at. I called ahead, their english was kind of broken. But they said they had two subarus from the 70s. We found this gold brat and an XT, not exactly from the 70s. S'ko scored a couple of things from this car. It was mechanically complete and had the third eye too.100_4089.jpg

I picked up this modified EA71 from the nicest desert dude you've ever met. Gave $75 for it, and am currently in the process of tearing it down, trying to figure out if I got my money worth or not.100_4118.jpg I'm going to start another thread soon with pics from the tear down. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

We didn't realize so many yards would be closed, and there was more than one that we had to walk away from. But at this yard, we walked the perimeter and could see a Gen 1 inside. So what did we do? What would you do after driving all day to find soobs? :-\ 100_4105.jpgJust to get a better look of course.

Wasn't much when we found her. She'd been shot and gutted.

100_4108.jpgDidn't spend too much time looking at her. We could hear the dogs on their way :eek: ! But I'll tell you, from what I saw she was rust free. If anyone is looking for a body to build on, this one has potential.

From the desert to the mountain. S'ko bought this SVX for parts I think. I am currently a 10% owner.100_4112.jpg

In short, this was a seriously great day! Wish I could do something like this every couple of months. Hope you liked the pics.

Crabman

Just be smart about it for sure. Illegal but even more so the dogs I have seen in Junkyards before would make your worst fears come true.

Yes I hear you Shawn. We we smart as possible and had no bad intentions. Just had to get a better look, I've personally never come across a gen 1 in a wrecking yard before. Just had to know if it would be worthwhile to come back. To tell you the truth, there were a few pieces I needed. But theft was not an option. Too many karmic consequences.

I will admit, we knew there were no dogs after walking the perimeter and making a little noise. ;) However at one point, a couple of black birds cawwed, and it was startling enough to send us sprinting to the outback.

That junkyard looks REALLY familiar...

Is that in Kingman?

Yes I do believe so. Just outside Kingman. We stopped at many out there. Most closed. Could have been 'Dan's', but that was a long day. I may be wrong about that. You are from AZ? I used to live in Prescott about 8 years ago.

Crabman

I'm from Torrance, lived in Irvine for awhile, now I'm stuck out here in Bullhead City.

I'm sorry this is too funny, because I basically live in Torrance, work in Irvine, and I'm stuck out here for a while!!

Would much rather be in a small town, maybe not bullhead city. Well if you see any nice gen1's out in those desert wrecking yards, let me know. Things hold up very well out there.