Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do you keep in your emergency kit? Good commercially available road kit?

It's been a good few years since I've needed to own a car, and when we pick up our 2003 Subaru Outback H6 VDC in two weeks I'd like to make sure I properly equip an emergency kit.

1) Is there a commercially available road emergency kit anyone suggests? Someone recommended the Sears kit, but I'm sure every automotive store sells a good kit that you can add to.

2) Here are some of the things mentioned in another forum when I posted the question. I like to be prepared, but likely would not carry all of these (note a few questions next to some of the items):

-flares

-caution triangle

-flash light or headlamp

-cell phone

-credit card

-cigarette-lighter-powered air pump (you'd hate to have a blowout or get a flat and pull out your spare, only to find that it too is flat)

-can of fix-a-flat

-good set of work gloves

-chains for winter snow driving

-first aid kit

-decent little tool kit (what should it contain?)

-portable battery pack (for jump starting) – what size batter should it be?

-spare belts

-spare diesel fuel filters (What for? To enable you to use diesel fuel if you had to, even though your car is not rated for this? I believe the Outback is supposed to use premium gas)

-GPS and a map book

-spare parts (which would you carry?)

-spare oil (which would you carry?)

-spare jug of coolant (which would you carry?)

-jug of water

-enough quarters to feed unexpected parking meters

-enough cash to fill your gas tank and get home if you lose everything else

-a small box of wire, wire ends

-duct/electrical tape

-clamps (which sizes would you carry? Though most are adjustable over quite a wide range)

Always a tough one - what are you going to be doing? where do you live? how far from help do you expect to be on a regular basis?

FYI, there is a large tray and a lot of storage under the floor in the trunk, you're entire kit can probably fit in there if you pack carefully (mine does)

I live in upstate NY, transplant from VT, where I lived in the mountains on a gravel road that was bottom of the plow-list, with that in mind:

long answer:

-flares: good idea, I have 3

-I don't have a caution triangle, but I do have a roll of flourescent tape

-flashlight or headlamp is a very good idea, keep the batteries separate and in an airtight package (original box or ziplock+rubber band works well); don't forget a spare bulb if the lamp isn't an LED (which is a good idea if you think you might be stuck for a while or have to walk a day to get out)

-cell phone and credit card: keep these with you, not in the trunk :-)

-I have a small bike pump and a pressure guage, much smaller, much lighter, works just as well (even if it takes some elbow grease). Bike pumps are usually rated to 120psi, so they can definitely fill any high-pressure doughnut thrown at them. That said, if you're worried about being far away, ditch the doughnut and get a full-size spare, especially for the winter, doughnuts are crap on snow, and they can't go far. Rotate your "spare" with the others for even wear, and rotate often (every 10 tanks of gas is my rule)

-work gloves = good

-I also have a set of warm gloves, a wool hat, and a wool blanket for winter emergencies (and also as padding in the packing process!)

- first aid kit is good, make sure its on top since if you need it you'll need it quickly.

- tool kit: duct tape; leatherman, paperclip, spit (not to be stored in the kit)!beyond that, a torque wrench and a set of sockets, a fuse puller w/spare fuses, a pair of pliers, a cat's claw, D clamps in the 3-4" range, spare belts, a non-folding knife, a set of screwdrivers, and a rope/tow strap make up my kit

- you only really need a portable battery pack (which are heavy) if you got an automatic, you can always push-start a manual

- I don't know why you'd need diesel filters (anyone?)

- I carry a compass, not a GPS (magnets don't run out of batteries), map book is a good idea

- when you get work done to your car and they replace a belt or a pump before it fails, ask to keep the spare parts and use those to fill out your inventory, I only carry belts and fuses on a regular basis

- I carry a bottle of 5W30, but go warmer if you don't live up north

- coolant: whatevers in your car currently

- I carry a water filter, but not water itself

- quarters, etc. optional: I just put all my change in the pocket in the driver's seat armrest, never had an issue

- I keep 40 bucks stashed in the glove compartment for "emergencies," though any problem that can be solved by money alone isn't really a problem

- wire and wire ends: I have a small roll of tie-wire (14 ga), comes in super useful since it won't melt

- chains: I keep 20 feet of loose chain in addition to tire chains, a lot easier to play with, and sometimes all you need is a little traction over the course of a few feet, and if you're stuck, you can't put chains on without a jack anyway.

- since I'm out in the woods, I also carry a small axe and sharpening stone, a small box of nails, 3 MREs, a signal mirror, a coil of 200lb test rope, 10 sq. ft. of plastic, a shovel, and a box of candles.

one last comment:

if you're not going out into the country much, you can skip most of this stuff, it adds weight and reduces gas mileage, and if you're within a cell phone call of help, it makes 90% of the above redundant. I'm pretty frequently in areas where there is no cell signal and no-one else will be for at least a day or two, so I'm pretty careful.

Are you asking about what do you pack for a raod trip, or what you pack in the emergency kit? They are two different subjects.

In my emergency kit (And kits differ upon where you live)

Flares

Real size spare tire.

(i use the subaru jack)

Wheel Chock

Two hand crank flashlights

AAA Card

X type lug nut wrench

Cell Phone charger

What we call an "equilizer" (long heavy pipe or large wrench)

Spare bulbs

1 spare headlight

First Aid Kit

Tow Strap

Jumper Cables

Pliers

Screwdrivers

analog multi meter.

Now on a road trip what i carry is much more extensive.

I just responded to your post on the Car Talk Board. Most of this list applies to my camping/kayaking/Xcskiing runs into the boonies in my old 95 Legacy. Looks like you're in the city so you won't need most of this with a newer Legacy.

------------------------------------------------------------

Great question. It’s good to see what other people carry in their cars and to compare notes.

Where do you live? If you’re in the city or the boonies, you’re car “survival” kit will be a little different. This list is geared to those driving in the boonies.

First of all, I always carry some basic car stuff that I won’t count such as a cell phone & car charger, baby wipes, bottled water, hand sanitizer, Kleenex, tire pressure gauge, extra quarters, and paper towels.

Secondly, I check the tire pressure of my spare tire at least once a year. Guess what happened to me once…

Omitting some of the unique regional requirements, here’s what I always keep in the trunk/hatch:

1. A 2-pack of Road Flares. A bit archaic but saved my butt and others on occasion. IMHO no battery light or triangle reflector will make semi’s and cars slow down and change lanes to avoid you like a road flare.

2. Jumper cables

3. Fix-a-flat can

4. Flashlight & extra batteries

5. Extra fuses and fuse puller (if not already included in the car fuse box.).

Here’s what I sometimes carry depending on my travel plans or condition of my car(s):

6. Basic First Aid Kit or bigger first aid kit with latex gloves, scissors, etc.

7. Basic tools (pliers, screwdriver, Swiss army knife, 10mm & 12mm wrenches).

8. Electrical tape and sometimes duct tape

9. air compressor that runs off the cigarette lighter

10. car fire extinguisher (if you have an older car or a Pontiac Fiero)

11. safe emergency gas substitute to help you make it to a gas station if you run out of gas. I don’t know if they still sell those.

12. work gloves

13. Orange Triangle road reflector

14. Extra Quart of Engine Oil

15. Extra washer fluid

If you drive in the boonies and someplace cold and snowy:

16. emergency candles or sterno like equivalent AND matches/lighter

17. high calorie/fat shelf stable munchies

18. blanket or compact foil survival blanket

19. folding shovel

20. signal mirror (there are places a cell phone doesn’t work…)

21. extra water

22. A Full Gas Tank at the start of

Can you tell that I was a Boy Scout once and have experienced car trouble on the road?

The tool kit can be reduced down a few sockets (10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22mm), appropriate extension bar and ratchet, a set of vice grips and 2 screwdrivers.

I'd carry a foot pump over a compressor. Years back i remember being out in the snow with a flat and the electric compressor just blew fuses....

Basic first aid kit.

Strong 2 foot pipe under the drivers seat (also multi-purpose)

I have 2 flat profile cans that hold a quart of coolant concentrate and 1 quart of oil....keep em in the spare tire well.

Now heres the clever one. Those 2 dollar LED headlamps you can get are awesome. Theres always one bungee-tied in the drivers footwell of my cars. Easy to find when you need it and convenient enough so you can grab it for small jobs.

Due to the geography here i dont carry flares or warning lights....just the Subaru reflector triangle thing.

I also carry a spare battery for my cell phone which doubles as a GPS and 2 blankets i 'borrowed' from a long haul flight. They can be tucked away inside the rear quarter panel through the jack-access hole and are usefull for many things.

All of the above are good ideas. Some other things I'm never on the road without, even around town:

12-volt cell phone charger. Get one and keep it in your car; if you ever forget to charge your phone, or leave your charger in the previous motel room, that's when you'll need to call AAA. Phone low? Plug it in while you drive! Great if you don't routinely use the plug for radar or music.

Two tools I seem to use every time I work on a car: a Leatherman and a crescent wrench. The two of them and duct tape have often saved the day. Get a good crescent wrench - no cheapos here. It'll outlive your car if it isn't stolen.

Set of fuses. Make sure the puller is with them. Your Subie should have a few spares under the hood, but a set isn't expensive.

A good flashlight and/or headlamp is required. I have both a Petzl and a AA Mini Maglite in my car. Make sure you have extra bulbs and batteries - rotate the batteries in the summer heat. If you can find rechargeables with a car charger, go for it! There's also a good headstrap from Nite Ize for the Mini Mag - highly recommended if you don't want to spring for a Petzl. When you're struggling to change a tire in the dark because you can't get a signal for the phone, you'll thank me when you have two free hands and the flashlight isn't clamped in all its cold lousy-tasting metal glory between your teeth. If you're not alone, maybe your passenger won't thank me at all - the flashlight-in-the-mouth bit stops most of the colorful language.

Get an orange jogger's vest or something similar. Many people are hit at the side of the road because someone 'didn't see them.' Also consider carrying a magnetic light for the back of your car, in red - blinking if you can find one. Anything which gets the attention of other drivers is A Good Thing.

Air compressors are highly overrated and take up space. Just make a note to check your spare at least once a month, preferably on the same day. You could do all your fluids at the same time, if you don't do it every week. Get a good digital tire gauge, and use it! Two minutes' spent checking your tires will save you money. Four (or five) tires for a Subie aren't cheap. Since we know you're a skier, get that full-size spare if your car doesn't already have one. Just follow previous advice and keep it in rotation with the other tires.

As for the GPS? If you already have one, bring it along. Don't have one? A compass never fails and will always get you out of there, IF you have a map and can read it. Don't buy the GPS just for the car.

Oh, yes. One last thing. Most tire shops HATE fix-a-flat and will charge you extra for repairs done on tires after its use. If you have a full-size aired up spare, and the AAA card, and the charged phone in radius of a signal, you shouldn't need it.

12-volt cell phone charger. . .

I keep a 300amp inverter in the car instead, that way you can charge your phone on the regular charger, or charge your laptop, or power your girlfriend's hairdryer, or run a chop saw (yes, I've done that, though you have to tie it directly to the battery to do it). The 300 or 600W model by Husky (from Home Depot) works well and fits nicely in one of the side pockets in the trunk.

a Leatherman. . .

I still maintain that anything that can't be fixed with a leatherman, duct tape, a paperclip, and or spit probably can't be fixed without a spare part. Get a real one, not an imitation. (swiss army and gerber both make imitations, I was given both as gifts, broke both in less than a year. Had the leatherman for 10 now, still going strong)

Get an orange jogger's vest or something similar. . .

EXTREMELY good point. Small and can potentially save your life.

Air compressors are highly overrated and take up space. . .

+1, if you aren't disciplined enough to check once a month (like me) carry a bike pump instead.

Oh, yes. One last thing. Most tire shops HATE fix-a-flat. . . .

true, use the spare if at all possible. That said, I've gotten 2 flats in quick (less than 30 seconds) succession on gravel roads 50 miles from the closest town. Spare on the worst flat, fix-a-flat (plus bike pump) on the other. If you're going out of the usual "help" area, it doesn't take up much room, and can save a very long hike. Don't use it unless you absolutely have to though -stopping every half hour to refill a slow leak is better than using the fix-a-flat.

And one last thing I forgot on my earlier list: Haynes or FSM for your model year. Invaluable when trying to diagnose a problem you aren't familiar with.