Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DOHC sprocket hold tool part#???

Hey I want to go in to my local dealer and order the Cam Sprocket hold tool for the DOHC 2.5 with the plastic(ish) pulleys. Should have a large(like 46mm or something) hex opening.

Also like to get one for the 2.2, but those it's easier to cheat with a generic spanner.

Anyone care to look up the Subie part #s for each?

I finally bought the Lisle tool for the 2.2's.

I'd be interested in the 2.5 cam sprocket tool or last I looked they were getting pretty darn pricey. If anyone here wanted to make some I'd probably be up for that. Same as harmonic balancer tools. My homemade one keeps getting bent up.

If there is any interest I could investigate getting a knockoff of either tool made.

I was just searching for these tools a few weeks ago.

My local dealer pointer me to some websites for special Subaru tools. Some were superseeded, some it seemed were NLA, all were pretty pricey. I just looked and didn't save the links. All were a division of SPX.

Dave

Hey I want to go in to my local dealer and order the Cam Sprocket hold tool for the DOHC 2.5 with the plastic(ish) pulleys.
i asked a while ago, though i can't recall which tool it was for but i think it was this one, and they told me they couldn't order it and i'd have to go through the maker/supplier/distributor or something like that. maybe you could call first once you get the part number?

this was for my first EJ25. i ended up not finding one and discovered it's not really needed so i never got one. if i was doing as many as you i'd follow through on getting one though.

Thanks Gary. You rock.

Yeah, I know these things are spendy. However If I have to replace a head or a whole motor cause the bolt backs out of the Cam and the sprocket slips, it will be more spendy. Right now I have an old T-belt fashioned into a strap wrench, but it doesn't hold tight enough for me to really torque the bolts. I locktited them. Still, I'm worried about them backing out down the road. Not really, just paranoia.

I figure the right tool will make it an easier job. And allow me to re-torque the bolts really well.

Channel locks booger up the sprocket. Then the proper tool wouldn't even work anymore. I don't like that method.

when i did my cam seals i just held the sprocket with a massive pry bar and it worked beautifully....:lol:

The 2.5 I am talking about has NO holes of any kind in the Cam pulleys. They are solid, with a about a 44 mm Hex head cast into them for a tool to hold. The lip of said hex protion is only about 3-4 mm thick, so it's hard to get a tool to hold. And, unfortunately, the drivers side ones, the hex is recessed into the pulley, so use of a large cresent or even channel locks is pretty impossible. I had to fashion a strap wrench from the old belt.

This worked fine during the head gasket replacement. Take the old timing belt and cut a peice off that will go around the cog plus a foot or so. Use the belt as a strap wrench. Bring the ends together and clamp them tight with vise-grips. Using the vice-grips as the strap wrench handle, loosen or tighten the cog nut. The rubber belt protects the plactic cog teeth.

• 2 years later...