Ultimate Subaru Message Board

KYB strut bumper/boots installation question

Guest Terp93

I have a couple questions about installing bumper/boots on my 1995 Impreza 2.2L AWD sport wagon. I purchased a set of KYB strut bumper/boots that I’m going to use with my KYB GR-2 struts; if it helps, the KYB strut bumper/boot number is SB101, and I can’t figure out what the flat washer included with the strut bumper/boot is used for. The use of this washer is not mentioned anywhere on the installation instruction sheet. Also, it mentions in the strut bumper/boot instructions something about connecting the bottom of the boot to the strut body with a plastic tie if the piston rod turns in the strut upper mount with bearing. Are they referring to the front struts?

Thanks for the help.

:cool:

Guest Legacy777

The KYB strut bumpers are a little weird.

The way they work is the plastic washer fits around the base of the bumper in a groove. Then the boot slides over the bumper and the boot also has a groove in it that the washer fits in. So you then have the bumper and the boot attached to the base of the bumper. You then slided that on the strut shaft and use the zip tie to secure the boot to the strut.

I wish I had a pic, as it'd probably clear things up.

Guest Drquasievil

There was a recall on the 95 Legacy for the coils. Check with the dealer to see if it covers your car. You might be able to get springs for free if they need to be replaced.

Guest Legacy777

hmm.....only thing i could think of the washer going to would be at the top of the strut where the nut goes, but that's it......and even then, I probably wouldn't put it on since the factory washers in the front are beveled.

Just leave the washer off.