Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone! [Pics]

Hello everybody! I've recently stumbled across these boards after many times clicking on old utimatesubaru.net links and being very sad that what seemingly was the best resource for old Subaru knowledge out there appeared to no longer exist. Well, swap that .net to a .org, and I was in business!

Anyway, as a grad present at the beginning of summer last year, my parents purchased me a 1988 Subaru GL wagon (exactly what I wanted). The car was purchased with "snake" carved into the headliner above the driver seat, so the name Snake was obvious for the car. The man who sold it to me was perhaps less than honest, and I've run into many fun surprises along my journey of owning my GL...

I love this car to death, and I plan on keeping it running as long as I can. The ultimate goal is to do an EJ swap, but until I have the money, I will continue trying to save it's life every few months when something decides to break. :rolleyes:

The car is stock (though the previous owner did do a 5 lug wheel swap, without mentioning that to me), and the body used to have a fuel injected engine, but the engine in it presently is carb'd...with the FI air intake...? It still runs, so I haven't found a need to change it yet, haha

Anyway, here are some pictures of my baby, and I'm glad to have found this board! I'll for sure be posting around with some questions about fun quirks my car has, and I'll be helping out with the limited advice I can give.

Here is Snake having some fun in a puddle filled quarry (note the ice in the puddles...it was cold out). This is before I switched out that busted front fender (I got the car like that...)

n1452900205_30104846_9054.jpg

n1452900205_30104847_9326.jpg

n1452900205_30104848_9597.jpg

n1452900205_30104828_4219.jpg

Ah, the kind of road I dream of...

n1452900205_30150152_9761.jpg

n1452900205_30150153_68.jpg

n1452900205_30150155_669.jpg

n1452900205_30150154_371.jpg

Edit: Gah, can't get some pictures to work. No worries.

Anyway, hope that wasn't too many pictures! See you guys around.

and the body used to have a fuel injected engine, but the engine in it presently is carb'd...with the FI air intake...? It still runs, so I haven't found a need to change it yet, haha

What you probably have is the Throttle Body Injection system , AKA TBI, AKA SPFI. Basically it's a single fuel injector that is mounted inside of the throttle body. I could be confused with a carburetor, to someone who is unfamiliar with the system.

What you probably have is the Throttle Body Injection system , AKA TBI, AKA SPFI. Basically it's a single fuel injector that is mounted inside of the throttle body. I could be confused with a carburetor, to someone who is unfamiliar with the system.

That could very well be it. I can take some pictures of it later to clear it up. Thanks!