Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift question : What years and models share the early legacy platform?

backwoodsboy

Quick question for the experts:

For those not following the thread, SJR is building an EJ lift for an early legacy sedan.

I was wondering what other models would share the first-gen legacy chassis platform? (so that the lift points were the same)

Thanks!

For those not following the thread, SJR is building an EJ lift for an early legacy sedan.

I was wondering what other models would share the first-gen legacy chassis platform? (so that the lift points were the same)

Thanks!

90-99 Legacy share the same platform. *95-99 has slightly different rear strut top mounting. But IIRC Scott is building strut BOTTOM extensions so that won't matter. Although I'm skeptical about the bottom extensions, I'm awaiting the final product.

I know the early imprezas share the same platform, 93-98 I believe. Not sure if anything major changed from 99-2002, may work for them too. If 99-2002 Imps are the same then I imagine Forresters from 98-2002 would be also.

the 98-01 foresters and imprezas share the same chassis as far as I know-rear top hat bolt spacing is different tho

Yeah, and I'm not sure how different 98-01 imprezas (and by extension Forresters) are from the early ones. Seems the same but could be subtle differences.

Thanks!

Why not post in the off road section?

Just had a 98 Forrester in the shop.

While there, I thought of this thread and took a quick look underneath and compared bolt spacings and what not.

It does seem that the first Gen Foresters (98-02 IIRC) share the same suspension/ crossmember mountings. Now, I cannot speak on behalf of SJR, but it seems the lift Scott is making should fit:

All Legacy and Outback 90-99

All Impreza and Impreza OB sport 93-01? 02? 03? (whenever the redesign occured)

Forrester 98-02? 03? (whenever the redesign occured)

*The front portion of said kit should also still fit 2000-2004 Legacy and Outbacks

93-01 Impreza and 90-94 Legacy are the 1st generation of the cars, and the platform is nearly the same except for the length. The Legacy is about 4" longer from what I've heard. The 98-02 Forester is also based on the 1st gen impreza chassis.

The 02-07 Impreza and 95-99 Legacy (2nd gen) are also very similar, once again except for length. 2nd gen foresters once again are based off this impreza chassis.

The 3rd gen Legacy 00-04 is kind of an odd-ball and doesn't share much with other cars.

The new 08 Imprezas and 05+ Legacys are also nearly the same chassis.

Anyway, the lift points are the pinch seams below the doors, and if the lift can adjust 6 or so inches in length it will work on all subarus.

Anyway, the lift points are the pinch seams below the doors, and if the lift can adjust 6 or so inches in length it will work on all subarus.

Uh, were talking about different type of lift. Not a service lift, or shop lift. This kit definately won't fit ALL Subarus

We're talking in refference to lifting the body of the car off the suspension to increase the ride height/groundclearance/tire clearance.

A kit designed for early EJ platform won't work for the rear of the 2000-004 Legacies and probably not at all for the 05+

I haven't compared the second gen IMP/FOR chassis to compare. Front should be the same, rear may be different.

Uh, were talking about different type of lift. Not a service lift, or shop lift. This kit definately won't fit ALL Subarus

Ha, I was a little confused there...

Anyhow, the subframe mounting is the same on all 1st and 2nd gen cars, so it should work on all 90-99 Legacys, all 93-01 Imprezas, all Foresters, and 95-99 Outbacks. Manuals and automatics have different transmission mounting so that would probably be an issue if you wanted to space that out. You'd probably also want to make new pitch stops depending on the amount of lift.

What does change is the rear strut top bolt pattern. 1st and 2nd gen differ. So plates that space the struts tops downward would have to be different for a 2nd gen car.