Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Haven't done a whole lot of searching but.......is there a trick when replacing the valve covers on a '95 2.2L? Upfront it looks pretty straight forward especially the passenger side, but on the driverside it looks like the oil dip stick housing may cause a problem, em, em, not a problem but make it a little more complex. (Possibly mistaken, I have been before) Also, what type of gasket sealant would be recommended if any. Grommets, a yes? Just trying to take care of the seepage.

Thanks.

Haven't done a whole lot of searching but.......is there a trick when replacing the valve covers on a '95 2.2L? Upfront it looks pretty straight forward especially the passenger side, but on the driverside it looks like the oil dip stick housing may cause a problem, em, em, not a problem but make it a little more complex. (Possibly mistaken, I have been before) Also, what type of gasket sealant would be recommended if any. Grommets, a yes? Just trying to take care of the seepage.

Thanks.

Not a big problem on the drivers side. You are correct, remove the oil filler tube, 2 screws, may want to put a rag in the opening until you replace the tube. You can then get to the valve cover. Others remove the the battery also for a little more room.

monk50

dont use any gasket sealant..new valve cover gaskets do wonders....i just replaced them on my 96 2.2......the new gasket set should come with gromits for the bolts.......i think for both sides it took me like 20 min.....its not hard.....just dont overtorque the bolts....