Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mysterious Oil Consumption? Change your PCV Valve!

Our 2012 Outback has consumed oil excessively since the day we got it. (excessive = 1.3 qt/1200 miles) This is many times more than any car we or any extended family have ever owned, which is dozens of cars and at least 10 manufacturers.  The dealer has insisted that "up to 1qt/1200 miles is normal and as-designed.  Lousy design.

I don't know if they ever checked the PCV or rear separator plate (I'll ask tomorrow), but they now have offered the following: "We will install a new valve cover, inside of which there are a series of baffles.  These keep the normal oil inside the of the valve cover from getting to the PCV valve, but Subaru has found some oil getting past one of the baffles allowing the PCV to pick up the oil.  The new valve cover is supposed to keep that from happening. The new part number is 13728AA291"

I don't know if anyone else has experience with this, but I'm interested in any info.  

Thanks

Starting a new thread on this topic, found some new information in regards to the certain models burning oil.

just seated my new to me trans and figured while I'm here I might as well address my pcv system, the main crank case vent hose was so brittle I crumbled it with one hand! I think I found my occasional p0420 problem :) it pays to get oil resistant hoses not heater grade and change them when they get hard. I have been driving the car for 65k and really felt the car could do better mpg and performance wise now hopefully it will and I know why.

• 1 year later...

Oil consumption in my 99 Brighton has increased dramatically.  Used to put in a quart every 500- 1000 miles.  Now I'm burning about two quarts every gas tank for the last couple weeks.  Seems like I can't check it often enough now!  Pulled out the PCV valve and it was quite gunky but still moved.  Tried to clean it out and re-install, but it still seems to be eat the oil.  Just ordered a new pcv valve and will try that.  I also get the white puff of smoke on start-up and P0420  code.  P0420 has been lingering around for a long time, despite replacing catalytic converter. 

Side note: Any recommendations on solvents?  Growing up, my dad would always just use Coleman camp fuel (white gas).  Would their even be a "proper" way of disposing coleman fuel used as a solvent?  What are people's preferred solvents nowadays?

Edited by dirty4130

• 11 months later...

I had my mechanic replace the PCV valve in my engine only to see no great difference in oil consumption.  What I DIDN'T ask is did he use a generic replacement for the valve or a genuine Subaru part.  Any thoughts?  Would this be of any importance? 

Thanks.

Barry