Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92' Loyale 4WD AT tranny swap question

Will an auto tranny from an 89' DL 2WD be a direct replacement for my 92' Loyale 4WD AT? That's the only other comparable Soob in this whole area that I can find in the salvage yards. I know the tranny from the 89' should still be solid because it used to be MY car for about 4 years. Then it had to be retired about 3 years ago due to extreme rust issues & hasn't moved since. The car only had about 150,000 miles on it so there's a good chance it's tranny will be good for many more miles if I can get it.

Alternately does anyone know where a guy can find a reasonably priced rebuilt auto tranny.:lol:

PS..No I'm not going to convert it to manual, even though that would be fun. I need an auto tranny bottom line.

Tony

EA vehicles had two distinctively difference auto trans - 3AT and 4EAT. you'll need to make sure they're both the same kind of auto trans.

i think these will both be 3AT's, right? thumbs up or down someone?

as for converting from 4WD to 2WD, that shouldn't be a problem, but answer that last question first.

Will an auto tranny from an 89' DL 2WD be a direct replacement for my 92' Loyale 4WD AT?

Yes, but being a 2WD tranny there is nothing to hook your drive shaft to, so no 4WD. You might want to snag the front axles and TCM, as they might be different (inboard spline).

Yes, but being a 2WD tranny there is nothing to hook your drive shaft to, so no 4WD. You might want to snag the front axles and TCM, as they might be different (inboard spline).
good point, you don't mind loosing 4WD?

on the 4EAT's if you have both transmissions in front of you, you can "convert" a 2WD to 4WD i believe...assuming the 4WD components of the 4WD trans are good. not sure that you can do that with the 3AT though.

As for the Loyale models, only the 1990 Loyale turbo option got the 4EAT. 1988 and newer XTs came with it and 88/89 GL turbo wagons also got it. The original poster doesn't have one of these models so both transmissions are the 3-speed variety. No problem swapping one for the other.

I didn't think it'd be a problem. But let me clarify something; as we already know mine is 4WD but there shouldn't be any problem converting the 4WD parts over to the 2WD tranny correct?? From what I know, about the only difference is the part inline behind the tranny that converts power to the rear driveshaft. That's a seperate piece so I should be able to just bolt it & it's rear driveshaft to the 2WD cars tranny & be ok, yes? No differences in actual tranny length?

Of course I have the luxury of both cars being complete. So if it's just a matter of swapping over parts I guess it should be a match unless anyone as a horror story to tell me first.

Thanks, Tony

i haven't done it and the only info i've seen is for a 4EAT transmission. a search should pull up the thread i recall seeing from someone that did it on a 4EAT, the details in my head are foggy. though i think johnfromky knows something about this?