Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No, they are not Standard, They are Special Two Position Electromagnetc H.I.D.s of 85 Volts and 55 Watts (Power Consumption, not Output, the Cheap Kits has 35 Watts Bulbs) That fit Right into the Halogen Lamps with socket 9004; the Owner of the site "Retro Solutions" Where I Obtained the Kit, is very Kind, he Answered right Each e-mail I Sent to Him, and he Told me that they has Plenty of Parts, but he Told me the the kit comes with a Full Lifetime Warranty, due to the Fact that Each Bulb Does Not Have any Resistor that can be Burnt, Just Gas.

The Huge Sealed Ballasts Transform the 12 Volts from the Car, to 85 Volts.

I Hope that I Can Post Pictures Soon... Maybe Tonight I will Shoot some Pics! :burnout:

Well... Here Comes the Pictures!!! :)

But First, let me Explain Something: I've Changed the Corner Lights Too, with White Led Lights, in order to Match the H.I.D. Beam Colour!  ...  ;) ... I Have Used many Kinds of One-Contact Bulbs There, This is a Brief Idea of the One-Contact Bulb's Evolution:

OneContactLightBulbsEvolution.jpg

So, I Used All of Them in the corner lights, except the Big Headed one... (it Does Not Fit on the Subie`s Lamps) ...and the One Contact Halogen. Those are just for Reverse Lights Only, due to Their Workin' Temperature ... They can Melt the Plastic Lenses in Long Time of Use. The Dynamo one is for Bicicles using a Dynamo Generator, it is 12 Volts but Twice the Output of a Regular Bulb... but They Does not last too Long on a Car, due to the Higher Amperage Levels.

So my Subie Have the Newer one, the Multiple Leds 5000K Bulbs! :brow:

SideCornerLightswithLeds.jpg

Now, here you can See How the H.I.D. Kit Came Packaged by Mail:

HIDBox1.jpg

This is How it Looks, Just Out of the Box! :D

HIDBox2.jpg

Then I installed the Passenger's side Ballast,

just Behind the HeadLamp, on the inner side of the Fender:

RightBallast.jpg

But to place the other Ballast on the Driver's side wasn't easy; I had to remove the Coolant Overflow tank, remove the metallic base for it that the inner fender had, then I noticed that I could place only one of the needed two screws for the Ballast; so, what I did to solve that, was to open a large hole on the side where I can't place a screw, and raise one of said hole's sides.

Here's a photo, after all that was done, and the Surfaces were repainted:

Mounting%20Place%20for%20Ballast%20-%20R

What I did, was to  "Slide"  the base for the screw,

inside the raised side of the opened hole:

Slided%20Ballast.jpg

Finally I secured the Ballast in Place, using the other side's screw:

Ballast%20in%20Place.jpg

Then I placed their Control Unit, just behind the ignition coil, on the Strut Tower:

LeftBallastControlUnit.jpg

Finally, I obtained a Relay & Fuse Box from an early 1990's decade Toyota Corolla, which I modified in order to let it have inside only what I needed, such like an Standard Bosch Relay, and certain Fuses; also I obtained one of the rear Aluminium Mud Flaps from a 1998 4 Runner, cut a small part from it and bent it in a 90º angle, in order to make a metallic mount for said Relay & Fuse Box, which allows me to install it, over the Driver's side Ballast, see:

New%20Fuse%20amp%20Relay%20Box%20over%20

Here, you can see how far is it from the Ballast, and how close is it from the Battery,

Perfect Placementthumbsup.gif

New%20Fuse%20amp%20Relay%20Box%20over%20

Here's a photo of said Box internals:

New%20Fuse%20amp%20Relay%20Box%20-%20ins

This Box allows me to have a Cleaner engine bay,

Safer setup for everything, and easiness for washing  ;) 

Now, the Pics you're Waitin' for: illumination! ...  :P ... see the Low Beams:

HIDsonLowBeam1.jpg

And this is High Beams:

HIDsonHighBeam1.jpg

A Picture Worth 1,001 Words! ...

I Really Believe that now I Have Safer Night Vision in my Subie;

I Do Many Night time Travels, so Security is Priority, Specially when you have Babys :)

BabyonBoard.jpg

Kind Regards! :burnout:

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

Thank you for your Kind Words! :)

By this Writings & Pics, I Just want to Help People that are in Serious Need of Better -Safer- Lights, so I Suggest to Avoid those crappy cheap H.I.D. Kits that has Blueish Lights in only one Direction... those only Blinds the incoming Drivers and Blue Lights are "eaten" by Dark Roads, Specially wet Pavement. Very Unsafe.

This Kit, in Low Beam Doesn`t Hurt the incoming Drivers` Eyes, so it is Safe! :) and White with a Li`l Bit Yellowish tint Lights is the Better Choice.

Kind Regards!

• 2 years later...
no offense but jesus that cutoff is horrible. Would never put one of those cheap HID kits into the halogen housing of my suby.

Do you have HID's in your car now?

If so, post pics please.

Theres going to be lots of diffusing in a EA82 headlight housing.

no offense but jesus that cutoff is horrible. Would never put one of those cheap HID kits into the halogen housing of my suby.

Two Things:

1. That "Horrible Cutoff" is in part due to the Camera's sensibility to the illuminated Darkness of the Night while Taking the Picture without Flash and using a Very Low Speed Exposure.
  2. That Special H.I.D. Kit I Used is intended to Retrofit it to the Subaru's Headlamp's Mirrors, and believe me: it isn't any Cheap at all.

So, let me Tell you that the Pics aren't giving the Real Idea; only if you take a Ride on my Subie you'll Understand.

Kind Regards.

I like how it shoots. It lights up everything! Which is what I'd want ...

Me Too! ... Your Subie illuminates Great with Those H.I.D.'s :)

I Run mine with a Yellowish 5000K and 55W Because I Travel too much during Night times and here in my Crazy Country our Roads are pretty Bad, Also here Rains 2/3 of the Year. Plus certain animals might cross the Road without notice, like Cows, Horses, etc...

Blueish Lights' illumination trend to be "Eaten" by Wet Pavements.

I Wanted More illumination 'cos it makes my Night Trips Safer... I'll Never go Back to Halogens anymore.

Kind Regards.

Do you have HID's in your car now?

If so, post pics please.

Theres going to be lots of diffusing in a EA82 headlight housing.

no, i have HIDs in my other car but not my GL. not worth it to retro fit imo.

This is a proper cutoff

onex-hid-cutoff-line-step-6.jpg

cutoff1.jpg

aXgay.jpg

the cutoff on the average car will cutoff right below the eyes of an oncoming driver. HID bulbs in halogen housing will blast light all over the place and cause a horrible glare.

tDbvk.jpg

notice the car on the left, if he was facing towards you he would probably be flashing you telling you to turn your high beams off. Notice the "cutoff" or lack there of up in the trees. It's way too high. When i said cheap i didn't mean any of your parts were cheap, but rather you got the bulbs, ballasts, but left out the most expensive piece, the projectors.

I had an HID kit exactly like yours in my srt4 , it looked great but i eventually got a ticket and decided to do it how it's supposed to be done. I did a bunch of research on HIDplanet forums and i used the e46 bmw m3 projectors which are only 99 dollars brand new. This was the last headlight HID setup i put together

2foUH.jpg

I dont want to be a jerk, i really like your car, the guy with the yellow GL. i just dont want any misinformation being spread. That's all

Projectors are quite different than plain HID's.

Show me a standard cutoff from a car that comes from the factory with HID's.

They wont look like the pics of the projector lights.

Loyale 2.7 turbo lives in a rural area in S. America. Dont think his lights are going to be a problem. The others need need to adjust their lights accordingly.

Check out my write up on projectors in GL buckets.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125187

Edited by Turbone

Projectors are quite different than plain HID's.

Show me a standard cutoff from a car that comes from the factory with HID's.

They wont look like the pics of the projector lights.

Loyale 2.7 turbo lives in a rural area in S. America. Dont think his lights are going to be a problem. The others need need to adjust their lights accordingly.

Check out my write up on projectors in GL buckets.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125187

projectors are these

MINI_HID_Projectors.jpg

they are apart of every OEM HID headlamp. If it has HIDs, it has projectors.

those pictures are all factory projectors. all cars have a cutoff. and yes those cutoffs are very crisp and nice, but even those aren't the fancy bioxenon projectors. A pair of bmw projectors brand new are $99.

first picture is a s2000 projector. 2nd is a TSX projector, last picture is cheap bmw m3 projector.

never said his lights were a problem, said the cutoff was bad and they shine high. again though, misinformation!(what you said about factory HIDs) not trying to be a hater, they are what they are though.

Edited by r81gsr95

r81gsr95, I tried earlier in the thread...

But it's like trying to teach water to not be wet. :-\

:lol: It's sooo true. You can tell them it's not right till you are blue in the face, but people will still do it because it "looks better" even though they are giving themselves a HUGE disadvantage.

I really don't think anyone actually has read that Daniel Stern article since people keep trying to prove already proven science wrong without using facts. I just find it funny when people debate facts with experience. It's really funny. Science says and has proven that these HID conversions are bad but people ignore that and say otherwise. You can't change optical physics, no matter how hard you try or want it to not be true, light will always act a certain way, no matter what. These conversions will never be as safe as actually doing the HID's correctly as Turbone did, no matter how much adjusting you do, or money you spend. Light optics just can't be changed and these kits will always be bad if you don't do them correctly, like Turbone.

*Sigh* What can you do?

projectors are these

MINI_HID_Projectors.jpg

they are apart of every OEM HID headlamp. If it has HIDs, it has projectors.

those pictures are all factory projectors. all cars have a cutoff. and yes those cutoffs are very crisp and nice, but even those aren't the fancy bioxenon projectors. A pair of bmw projectors brand new are $99.

first picture is a s2000 projector. 2nd is a TSX projector, last picture is cheap bmw m3 projector.

never said his lights were a problem, said the cutoff was bad and they shine high. again though, misinformation!(what you said about factory HIDs) not trying to be a hater, they are what they are though.

This is where I think you are wrong (misinformation). Not all HID's come in projector lamps, they are also in reflector type lamps (specifically designed for HID's).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lamp_types

The point you are trying to make is this...

The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different in size, shape, orientation, and luminosity distribution compared to the filament light source used in tungsten-halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. HID burners cannot effectively or safely be installed in optics designed to take filament bulbs; doing so results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries. Moreover, most developed countries enforce the ECE Regulation requirement that HID headlamps be equipped with lens cleaning and automatic headlamp self-levelling systems, which usually are absent on vehicles not originally equipped with HID lamps.

This info is from the wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp#Reflector_lamps

... Loyale 2.7 turbo lives in a rural area in S. America. ...

Central America ... :) ... and Not so Rural! ... :D ... See:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90606&page=8

...never said his lights were a problem, said the cutoff was bad and they shine high. ...

Well, the 55W / 5000K Kit I have on my Wagon is Bi-Xenon, so it has Low Beam with an extremly Low & Sharp Cutoff and High Beam, wich makes think to the Driver / Passenger that you're Driving Behind a Stadium Reflector Lights.

For my Many Many Rural / Off Road Trips (Almost every Weekend) that High Beam has Saved my Life at least two Times, once it was a Black Horse crossing the Road Side by Side, the other time it was a Bridge that just Fell off from one side and I am more than Sure that Driving with the Original Halogens I wouldn't noticed that on time to preven a Huge Fat Crash.

I Know that is Hard to Believe how those H.I.D.'s Perform on Real Life but there is another USMB Member, Mark (SUPERU) which is a Great Friend, he came from USA to my Li'l Country some time ago and I took Him to a Night Ride on my Subie across the Capital City and a Mountain nearby; he Liked how those H.I.D.'s performed on my Wagon.

(Check Post Nº 24 http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93529&page=3 )

You can Ask him about How the Low Beam has a Sharp edge that Doesn't Disturb the incoming Drivers' eyes. (High Beam is Amazing Long Reaching)

That was my First Concern when I Obtained that H.I.D.'s = Safety.

Kind Regards.

Well, the 55W / 5000K Kit I have on my Wagon is Bi-Xenon, so it has Low Beam with an extremly Low & Sharp Cutoff and High Beam, wich makes think to the Driver / Passenger that you're Driving Behind a Stadium Reflector Lights.

For my Many Many Rural / Off Road Trips (Almost every Weekend) that High Beam has Saved my Life at least two Times, once it was a Black Horse crossing the Road Side by Side, the other time it was a Bridge that just Fell off from one side and I am more than Sure that Driving with the Original Halogens I wouldn't noticed that on time to preven a Huge Fat Crash.

I Know that is Hard to Believe how those H.I.D.'s Perform on Real Life but there is another USMB Member, Mark (SUPERU) which is a Great Friend, he came from USA to my Li'l Country some time ago and I took Him to a Night Ride on my Subie across the Capital City and a Mountain nearby; he Liked how those H.I.D.'s performed on my Wagon.

(Check Post Nº 24 http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93529&page=3 )

You can Ask him about How the Low Beam has a Sharp edge that Doesn't Disturb the incoming Drivers' eyes. (High Beam is Amazing Long Reaching)

That was my First Concern when I Obtained that H.I.D.'s = Safety.

Kind Regards.

Reading through this thread I have one question for you Loyale 2.7 Turbo, and this is really the only question that matters... Are you still using the stock headlight bucket with no mods done to the glass? If so, this is where my concern is.

The stock bucket defuses the light for a halogen bulb, and when you put HID's into that same bucket, the light scatters in whatever way it wants, as it was designed. BUT now you have super intense light being scattered instead of just "normal" light be scattered everywhere. Even with a "good cut off". You can't escape this problem, no matter how hard you try, you just can't escape it. You can IMPROVE it so it's not THAT bad, but you can't not get rid of this completely, without modifying the glass of the bucket. This is my biggest complaint with ANY HID conversion. No matter how you try to justify it or how much money you spend or what some website or person says, it is not right to put HIDs into that type of headlight bucket with NO modification to the glass. You can try to show me this that or the other, but optical physics don't change because of some chart or statistic. Sure, your HID's might not be AS bad as the others, but they still fall into this same category as the bad ones just because of what they are and what they DON'T offer. If they offered a replacement for the glass that was smooth and didn't refract as much light, then I might be inclined to buy them, but that is not the case. You are still sticking a light bulb that was not designed for that type of glass into that housing. At the end of the day, it still not the proper way to do it.

This is why Turbones method works, and is really the only way to do this. He spent the time to sand down the ridges that make the light scatter so that they HID's would be able to work properly. It takes hours to do this, but it is the only true way to adapt HID's to an ea82. Every other method that does not touch the glass is wrong no matter how you want to look at it.

Now Loyale 2.7 Turbo, your situation is a little bit different. You live in an area where you need the light, and everybody else is doing the same thing as you, so what does it really matter? It doesn't at all, for you, and your situation. Obviously it has already saved lives, and will probably continue to do so. But it still doesn't make it the "proper" way to do the conversion. Your's also happen to be the best and limiting the downsides to HID's, and it works for you and your area, but it's still not the correct way to go. Honestly I would probably have installed them as well if I were you, for the record. The risk to benefit ratio is leaning toward benefit in your case since you don't really see that many other drivers, and they most likely they have the same thing installed on their cars, so saftey is a moot point, for you and your situation.

For Tom's situation, it's just wrong. Especially with that cutoff! Just look at it! That's just BAD and DANGEROUS for others on the road. There is no need for him to have it, other than it looks cool. His are definitely not saving any lives. If anything it's putting more lives at risk. So the risk to benefit ratio leans towards risk in that case, which means that there is no need to be blinding others or to really even install the HID's. It's this type of situation that really bothers me, not yours Loyale 2.7 Turbo.

The original title asks if HID conversions are good or not. The answer is NO, they are not good and are not safe for a majority of the people out there and do more harm than good, if you just put in new bulbs. If you do a little bit more work and change the glass on your buckets, then yes, HID conversions are a good idea and will greatly improve your lighting situation.

Incorrect. My 05 STi has factory Hids in a non-projector housing.

v1_galleries_555_8aa721263b9_7640_1024.jpg

But your reflector housing was designed for HID's

the problem here (I just skipped to last page) trying to put HID's in a old 80's car and they have fluted lens and not clear is just as bad if you use a projector or reflector.. the fluted lens pattern looks nasty on a wall at night.

... Are you still using the stock headlight bucket with no mods done to the glass?...

Yes.

... Now Loyale 2.7 Turbo, your situation is a little bit different. You live in an area where you need the light, and everybody else is doing the same thing as you, so what does it really matter? It doesn't at all, for you, and your situation. Obviously it has already saved lives, and will probably continue to do so. ... The risk to benefit ratio is leaning toward benefit in your case since you don't really see that many other drivers, and they most likely they have the same thing installed on their cars...

Yes, the Situation on my Country is Very Different and I Really trend to Drive mostly by Night. Here Huge Rainstorms and Bad Roads combined with almost every other incoming car with Blinding H.I.D.'s makes me Choose to Put those H.I.D.'s on my Wagon.

But the Ones I Choosed Doesn't have the Blueish Colour and they Have a Real Working Low Beam that Doesn't Hit the incoming Driver's eyes as the other Cheap H.I.D. conversion Kits Does.

Please: Notice the Difference Between Low & High Beams in the Same Place:

Low Beams:

HIDsonLowBeam1.jpg?t=1228988683

High Beams:

HIDsonHighBeam1.jpg?t=1228988728

Kind Regards.

• 3 years later...

Just an Small Update: Almost Seven years have passed Already since I installed this Awesome 55W H.I.D. Dual Beams 5000K Lights, and they still are working absolutely Flawlessly, I can't imagine to go back to Halogens; especially with so many people driving with their horrid Blinding Led Bars' lights in almost the half of the cars around...

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...
In fact, the super deep reaching illumination of the H.I.D.'s on my "BumbleBeast" already saved my life, since I am able to see farther; once I saw an incoming dark horse that was running under a thunderstorm, to the Road, enough far to safely reduce the speed on my Subie, and allow the horse to pass crossing the road.

Yes, there are many road Dangers in Honduras, and sometimes animals escape from their fences, due to thunders, fallen trees, etc...

Kind Regards.