Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:mad: Just leased an '08 wagon and and I'm sorely dissapointed in the A/C output. Had in the dealer already, they added a can of refrigerant and sent me on my way. well this had no effect whatsoever. Symptoms: On a relatively cool morning the OAT is 60, without A/c on the vent temp is about 80. with the A/C on the vent temp varies between 46.5-49 degrees. It gets worse as the OAT rises. Anyone know what the discharge temp should be? Anyone have similar problems? This is the first sube of the past seven subes I've owned I can truly say I'm dissapointed in. Help!

49 degrees sounds nice....i guess what you meant to say is that it's blowing hot air when it gets warmer outside, you never really said that?

shouldn't a leased 2008 be under warranty? make them fix it. having one issue like this shouldn't make you disappointed in Subaru. you should be disappointed with that one particular dealer and their lack of attention to fixing this properly. demand service, you're paying for it. in general dealers suck...hopefully yours is good but i wouldn't keep my fingers crossed. this isn't a "subaru" thing it's all of them. finding a good dealer is hit-or-miss across all the major manufacturers.

I noticed the same with mine.. R134 does not blow as cold as R12 first off....

It will also blow colder if you set it to recirc.

I ended up having to have my AC compressor replaced due to noise ..and now it seems to be colder...but I dont use mine much..except to cool the car off from the initial heat blast. I am not an AC person and told them if it didnt come one the car standard..It wouldnt be on the car

Ask them what the temp should be ..or take it to a different dealer.

I love 08 Imppy...16K miles with the only issue being the AC compressor.....and I am getting 31mpg mixed driving...

I do not know if your Outback is like my Legacy. I was having a problem with climate control in the car. Before the weekend, the A/C was blowing 40 degrees air than my parents visit me and they try out the car. It was then blowing very warm air, which was making me mad. Today, I was messing around with the climate controls and eventually got my 40 degrees air blowing on me. Right now, it is set to A/C and Auto, which is how I got my cool blowing air.

I saw some people doing some tests over on the legacygt.com forums and they found that they got the coolest air when they left the climate control on auto vs. trying to manually control.

Also, there's varying levels of automatic control, and I'd have to look again to find the thread over there. But there's full auto, and when you decrease the temp or fan speed that puts it into a semi-auto mode....and I don't recall if there's one step further down from that, but you get the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2008 outback here in Phoenix, AZ. My air seems to be really cold even in 115 deg outside temp. The problem I have is that it seems to cycle from really cold to luke warm ever 20-30 seconds or so. Any one else notice this issue? Thanks for any input. I have a dealer appt today to have it checked out.

John

Welcome to the forum, jcarey.

When the outside air is very warm, unless the inside air is recirculated there will tend to be a noticable change in outlet temperature as the A/C cycles. (It's also possible there's a fault causing the A/C to cut out prematurely.)

EDIT: In places where the interior of the car is "oven-like" after it's been parked with windows closed, you should probably start with the A/C drawing fresh air in to more rapidly vent the very hot interior air. Then the recirculation mode can be chosen for better efficiency. Periodically switch back to fresh (exterior) air to clear the cabin.

Hey guys,

Ive noticed on my 2002 Legacy the a/c has a few different settings. As i have the JDM lcd unit in the dash i can switch it to display all the HVAC information.

Pressing the Auto button once switches all of the vents on and switches the a/c to run most of the time (depending on the temp).

Pressing the Auto button again will put the a/c system into economy mode. The compressor cycles less often and it doesnt cool as quickly. Nothing else indicates this on my car other than a small "Eco" symbol on my LCD display so i also thought my a/c was stuffed.

I can also manually switch the a/c off and the car will try to best hold the temp without it.

The final setting is if i switch the fan speed or vents the climate control will change to monitoring the air coming out of the vents. It then tries to keep this temp closest to whats selected - again the air isnt as cold as on full auto.

Hope some of this applies to the US cars :-\

• 8 months later...

John, that is exactly what I'm seeing. The constant, and what I feel, too rapid cycling of the compressor. When its on the discharge temp is fine, but when it cycles off, the temp rises too much. How did your dealer visit turn out, any resolve?