Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Diehard Subaru owner pissed off at Subaru...

OK, even though it's three years old, I have to add my theory.

Have you checked with you local psychic to make sure no one has cast a spell on your Subaru?

Have you checked to make sure there are no aliens using a tractor beam on your Subaru?

Have you noticed black helicoptors hovering near your Subaru?

I just wat to add this:

Have you noticed your left foot is resting over the brake pedal everytime you drive?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sent me home in a thrashed old Legacy wagon that is not even properly compatible with todays car seat requirements,

This statement tells me this guy is full of it. It may not have seperate anchor points, but any car seat will work with a 3 Point shoulder belt. I have a car seat that I use in my 89 GL, and my 93 legacy. If the guys driving is as aggressive as his attitude(see title of thread) then welll......

And yes I know this is 4 years old.

'00 Outback Limited 5MT with the 1st of model year small rotors. 108K miles on original pads/rotors. Still plenty of material left. I do a fair amount of in town driving, never shift down except going down long hills figuring it is cheaper/easier to change brake stuff than clutch stuff.

Going to change brakes this summer just due to excessive longevity:banana:

Sounds like bad calipers to me,or it's in the anti-lock system:-\

I had this problem with my last VW GTI VR6. After at-least 3 expensive after market break jobs in about 6 months a real mechanic noticed that a spindle was warped.

So the warm rotors were conforming to the warped spindles, one warped rotor was causing the other to warp and vola another break job was necessary. Since then ( years ago ) the breaks are wearing beautifully as the new owner drives the @@@@ out of it on a daily basis.

I had this problem with my last VW GTI VR6. After at-least 3 expensive after market break jobs in about 6 months a real mechanic noticed that a spindle was warped.

So the warm rotors were conforming to the warped spindles, one warped rotor was causing the other to warp and vola another break job was necessary. Since then ( years ago ) the breaks are wearing beautifully as the new owner drives the @@@@ out of it on a daily basis.

Spindle? You mean what? On a front wheel drive car? What am I missing here?

This makes no sense to me.

If the spindle was BENT, then the bearings would misalign and possibly fail prematurely, and IMO long before the rotor would be affected.

Maybe I'm missing the whole point altogether.:-\

Spindle? You mean what? On a front wheel drive car? What am I missing here?

This makes no sense to me.

If the spindle was BENT, then the bearings would misalign and possibly fail prematurely, and IMO long before the rotor would be affected.

Maybe I'm missing the whole point altogether.:-\

Yes and no, good bearings can be pressed into bent or spindles

You know the ankle bone is connected to the knee bone....

Rotors are connected to..

And the front half of the subaru is front wheel drive, and the rear end isn't all that different either.

00, tiny brakes. For a long time, I did most of my driving on the interstate, but my situation changed and I've been driving in Morgantown 90% of the time now. It EATS brakes now. The entire town is built on a hill, and the traffic is ridiculous. Before pads lasted me 50K, but now I've got 25K on them and they're pretty much metal on metal. :dead:

I guess the benefit is I'm not spending as much on gas, since I'm not putting nearly the miles I used to. (I was over 30K a year at one point.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 97 OBW w/ 190,000 on it. I am pretty sure the brakes have never been done, but for sure not since I bought it with 93,000 miles. I pulled the wheels yesterday, and I still have over 1/2 the pad left all the way around. I live in Colorado and do lots of up and down hill driving over big passes, as well as small steep hills around home. This is why i like manual transmissions and subarus.:clap:

I thought that brake discs bend because of unequal cooling. This might happen when you drive and brake lets say from 60 to 0 and keep your foot on the pedal. On the place where the callipers are the cooling is less than on the rest of the disc. Usually after a long brake from high speed to 0 (traffic light) i put the gear into neutral and leave the brake.

Although my dads '05 OBW had the same after 30k km all discs were gone and bended. The dealer replaced them with no cost.