Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil recommendations for high mileage 2.2

Hello everyone!

I recently picked up a 96 Leg Outback with the 2.2/5 spd.

It has 172K on the clock and does not leak engine oil.

I would like to keep it that way and was thinking at my first oil change I would use the "high mileage" oil that several of the big oil companys produce. Suppose to reduce oil burning and oil leaks....

Any thoughts, ideas, experiences, recommendations, etc would be appreciated!

Thanks!

avoid the high mileage stuff and use straight oil. high mileage oil should never be used...except as a band aid if for some reason it helps.

even oil leaks, if you start experiencing any, should be fixed. it'll be either valve covers (easy and cheap) or cam/oil pump seals which should be replaced at the next timing belt anyway.

the only time you need to switch up from regular oil is if you're experiencing significant issues. doesn't sound like you have any though, so motor along.

don't let it run low on oil or overheat and that motor will last a very long time. that's a fantastic subaru motor - one of my favorites. 96 is the last year for the non-inteference EJ22, excellent motor. and a 5 speed too....good luck!

almost 132k on my 2.2. I use Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 blend.
is that a synth/conventional mix? not to start an oil debate but at least a couple years ago the blends were considered a huge waste of money. you're paying premium for "synthetic" but it really has a very small amount in it. maybe that's changed but i'd either go all synthetic or conventional, there's no point to "have both" so to speak. not trying to "change your mind" or even suggest i know much, but hate to see you throw money at marketing too....if that's what it is...which i'm not sure of.

oh man, it's not going to take long for this to turn out like all the other oil questions......

it's always good to plug around the internet a bit and read up on oil if type is a big concern. a subaru board isn't necessarily the best place to learn about oil no more than asking a podiatrist about your tooth ache.

pick a 5w-30 and keep it changed every 3500 miles or so including filter and you won't need to worry about "oil"

Do 3000 if it's dusty or you don't drive very far every day (and IF you do drive "far", you have more money than I do :grin: )

Clean oil is more important than hi-mileage oil. If you are in the "hot" climates, you might consider 10-40

I've had 3 vehicles, now, which have gone over the 130K mark - Dragon was barely broken in with 162k when I got her - and here's the short version of personal experience and mechanic's gabble aimed at me when they saw my vehicles (especially the two Chevys with the high mileage).

Stay with regular oil! Unless you have a problem, high-mileage oil can cause problems you don't want. Some have sticky sealants or gooey additives which will mess up a perfectly fine engine. What might be a simple main seal repair down the road can become a real problem if you add the gluey oils 'as a preventative.' You'd be looking at cleaning your engine to get rid of the gunk. Why bother? Just say no! Don't add the gunk to it in the first place.

Use what your manual recommends; on my Imp, that's 5-30. I'm considering 10-30 if I stay in Arizona until August or September, but only because it's already over 115. No other time would I use it! Thick oil + winter Subaru = BAD :dead:

Personally, I like and use regular el cheapo Slick 50 once a year (usually Nov or Dec, so I'm running it when it snows) and Pennzoil 5/30 with Purolator or Fram filters. I think it's the reason my 91 S-10 went to 348K with few engine problems. Other than mechanical parts failure (water pump, tie rods, control arm bushings, that sort of thing - yeah, I would fail too, all those loaded up highway miles in all weathers), my engine was good AND ORIGINAL 'til the *%&$$*!! careless semi/dump trucker totaled it. But Slick is the only additive I've used in 23 years.

You don't need the high-mileage stuff; if you get a leak down the road (every Subaru does), FIX IT instead of band-aiding it with fluid.

a subaru board isn't necessarily the best place to learn about oil no more than asking a podiatrist about your tooth ache.

:grin: ROFL

just out of curiosity gary, why not use a castrol high mileage? like you said, don't want to make this thread end up "at the podiatrist" :) just wonderin'?

thanks

chris

just out of curiosity gary, why not use a castrol high mileage? like you said, don't want to make this thread end up "at the podiatrist" :) just wonderin'?
oh man...you're doing this on purpose aren't you? you're one of *those* guys...fanning the flame!?!??! probably best to look it up online somewhere that has up to date and current oil information. i read a lot about oil years ago and that's enough for me. the endless debates that turn into 10 page threads are ridiculous just for oil choice.

the high mileage stuff is more expensive and you're not getting anything for it. (remember we're talking about a good running engine here with no issues).

high mileage concoction is oil with additives to give it it's "high mileage" label and flavor. all oils have some additives, but these will have more. more additives = less oil. i'm sure it's a small difference...but that's what oil debates are always about!

if "high mileage stuff" made something run better - it's probably not because of the oil - it probably needed an oil change anyway, or using a different viscosity or brand would have given the same results. it's a band aid and this would only matter on an engine with issues anyway - not this guys engine that has none.

who knows i checked into all the stuff 5 or more years ago, maybe things are different now and you should have asked your podiatrist!