Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just changed the rear pads and rotors on my 98 O/B. Before putting the wheels back on, I could turn the rotor by hand and feel the parking brakes shoes dragging just a bit. After putting the wheels back on and tightening the lugnuts, I could't turn the wheel at all...jammed solid....same thing on both sides.

Why would putting the wheels on, change the brake adjustment ?

this might be the wrong thing to ask but mine did the same thing, on the back side of the backing plate did you put the bolts back on correctly, ? there are 2 for each side, + on the calipers ,use a c-clamp .did you compress the calipers enough, ?

I use a "C" clamp to compress the caliper piston nearly flush with the caliper housing before reinstalling. That gives plenty of room for the new pads to be seated when rebolting. Upon finishing the job, it is necessary to pull forward and backwards gently to readjust the pads for correct braking operation.

there's no adjustment. Are the slider pins greased up?

otherwise the caliper can stick a bit and wedge the pad against the rotor. Once you start moving it won't be a problem unless they're really seized up.

there's no adjustment. Are the slider pins greased up?

otherwise the caliper can stick a bit and wedge the pad against the rotor. Once you start moving it won't be a problem unless they're really seized up.

The adjustment I was refering to was the star wheel for the parking brake shoes. I made sure it was backed off enough just so the shoes would drag a little bit. Once the wheels were bolted on though , it was near impossible to rotate them by hand.......removed the wheels, and I could easily rotate the rotor.

The adjustment I was refering to was the star wheel for the parking brake shoes. I made sure it was backed off enough just so the shoes would drag a little bit. Once the wheels were bolted on though , it was near impossible to rotate them by hand.......removed the wheels, and I could easily rotate the rotor.

Did you install genuine Subaru rear rotors or aftermarket parts?

Did you install genuine Subaru rear rotors or aftermarket parts?

I installed aftermarket rotors and pads,(Which I've always done without problems). I'm beginning to wonder if there's not something wrong with the rotors. The fact that the tightening of the wheels affects the brake adjustment leads me to think that maybe the rotor hub is the wrong dimension...(too thick or too thin), and it's making the parking brake pads bind.

I installed aftermarket rotors and pads,(Which I've always done without problems). I'm beginning to wonder if there's not something wrong with the rotors. The fact that the tightening of the wheels affects the brake adjustment leads me to think that maybe the rotor hub is the wrong dimension...(too thick or too thin), and it's making the parking brake pads bind.

Dude, noones getting the fact that you aren't talking about a caliper issue.

I understand that you are reffering to the drum brake set-up on the inside of the rotor for the parking brake.

When you bolt the wheel on, the rotor get's pushed tighter and more true against the hub than you ever can by hand.

you just have the pads too tight. look in you're factory subaru tool kit and there is what looks like a bent flathead with no handle. use it to adjust hte star wheel from behind the backing plate. Remove the oval plug and use the lever to turn the star wheel. there is an arrow stamped next to the hole that indicates which way to turn, (*up* IIRC)

as i see it...new rotor = less wear on the park break lining so youd probly have to back it off a bit more to compensate.

If not it could possibly be the caliper sticking too. Tightening the lug nuts makes the rotor sit at a slightly different angle to the pads. If everything isnt seated in properly it would easily lock the wheel,