Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear speakers in a Loyale Wagon?

While replacing the front speakers and wiring in a cd changer, I noticed the factory dash unit had enough wires coming out of it so that some of them must be for rear speakers. If so, where are they headed? Are the rear doors pre-wired, or do the wires head to the back of the car, or do they stop short under the dash somewhere?

I need some more bass and since there isn't enough room in the car for my Bazooka, I'm thinking of installing some 6x9's. Where would you install them? Rear doors, rear pillars, rear inner wheel wells, or other?

Dave

Dave

Since you have a later model gl i believe the speakers go to the rear doors but there hardly base makeing material. only bout the 6 1/2 at the biggest. lotts of people put in a sub box but its exposed to anyone who walks buy and sees it. You might be able to custom make a box and fit it into the rear tool box area.

I havent seen people put speakers in most of the places your talking about. the previous owner of mine had some installed in the rear hatch. It didnt weigh them down to much. Im fixing my interior so i havent gotten around to reinstalling the speakers but im sure itll sound great.

Ben

I've been really happy with one of those kenwood under-the-seat style subwoofers. I was just looking to fill out the sound and not rattle the license plate off. Picked up a used one on ebay for cheap and the stereo sounds 100% better than it did with just the door speakers.

Hey thanks for the suggestions guys! I hadn't thought about the rear hatch. I pulled the cover off it and there's plenty of room for some 6 x 9s. I may even be able to hide them behind the existing vents in the panel.

I had forgotten about the compact powered subwoofers, dhise. I used to have one on a car long gone. Wish I still had it now. Will be on the lookout for a cheap one.

why not just use the cargo cover to cover the sub thats what i did on my 91 loyale and i used one of the low profile subs in my brat those things are pretty good

Right now I need all the floor space for my bike' date=' camping gear, air mattress, ect, and once hunting season gets here I'll be hiding my guns and gear under the cargo cover.

Besides, I'm not [u']that[/u] much of an audiophile. The 6 x 9s may be enough for me (and cheaper). :)

Just be aware that the factroy wiring uses a common grounding for the front and rear speakers on each side. So if you use an aftermarket deck you will need to run new wires to seperate them.

I find it easier to run new wires to the fronts. There are pink 2 wire connectors at each kick panel. run you're new front speaker line to those connectors, rather than all the way into the doors.

The rear speaker harness should be under the trim plastic at the *B* pillar. hook you're new rear speakers to them.

I did mine in the rear doors also. I was considering doing some larger ones in the rear tailgate - if you pull the plastic panel you will find you have enough room for that. You will probably get some rattle there, tho. I can't imagine no one has thought of that before.

This is what I did, if that helps. Same speakers in the front & rear. It really does sound pretty good. I'm not gonna win any competitions or anything, but it's very respectable.

The headunit WILL need an extension sleeve, and it'll be weird to get used to. They make lots of 1. DIN stuff out there.