Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do Forester 2.5's have the same HG problems?

My solution to this problem (back when I used to work on EA82's as projects... but EJ25's should hold true for the same thing) was to find one that ALREADY had a blown head gasket... Then I could fix it on my terms and know when it was done, and know that it was done right and that it wouldnt blow again in a month :rolleyes:

A friend of mine just bought a really nice loaded 2002 outback limited for like $8000, had Richie replace the head gaskets and rear brakes and she came in still under her $9995 budget :banana: Sure beats buying the $9500 outback with currently good gaskets and having them blow a month later :mad:

Also ask if the wheel bearings were ever changed. The early Forester models were notorious for bad wheel bearings, so much so that Subaru changed the design to tapered bearings. If they haven't been done, negotiate some $$ off the price because you'll need to do them.

One good thing about this bearing problem: everyone thinks the noise is a bad rear diff or a bad transmission. If you know how to diagnose between the three you can get a sweet deal for the price of four bearings (about $40 apiece online), because the seller is afraid the vehicle's drivetrain is toast and is dumping it rather than fix it.

Have fun looking!

Replace the head gaskets with OEM (make sure they are the superseded part numbers) and you won't have any problems. Also less than 100k = free head gasket replacement :-)

And it's not a rampant problem, I've seen them with 200k with the original head gaskets, and no leaks, and I've seen them with 90k that are leaking.

Hello,

Having the '99 myself, I would be more concerned with the rod knock issue that this model year is also infamous for! They say it goes away after warming up. And, it does, but after so many it gets much worse, is a major anoyence! For my car, new pistons were the answer to the tune 5K. I would much rather have had the head gasket issue.

Find a car for cold start to hear the engine. If the you hear the mild knock, but still want the car, it could bargaining chip.

Just my two :)

unless you're planning on replacing the gasket or find one with them already replaced the 99 SOHC are better for reliability. as long as you keep coolant in them and don't let them run low they won't overheat and can keep running a very long time. once the DOHC fail it's instant overheat problems and you're stranded = annoying.

if you can deal with it, find one with an already blown head gasket, they're easy to find. saw a forester last week - $1,400, and they'd take less. last EJ25 vehicle i got for triple digits and it was in immaculate condition. great way to end up with a great car - for cheap.