Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 Exhaust question

I broke my exhaust pipe this weekend and people are complaining my car is too loud..... So what I'm looking at is:

the outlet on the resonator (think thats what its called) broke off the exhaust pipe its self.

I want to remove the exhaust at the flange and cut out that resonator and just put a 24 inch section of straight pipe in its place... the only thing is that the reonator inlet and outlet are offset. The inlet is almost centered and the outlet is offset the left side..

Has anyone ever done anything to their exhaust and know what degree of bend I need to put in the 24 inch piece I'm going to add in?

Or will it fit without having to bend the pipe?

Thanks...

Oh yeah... Before this exhaust break, the engine has a slight backfire when I let off hte accel. and push the clutch in. Now its really bad.. Sounds like a gunshot every time I shift.

I've read the posts on the ASV valve being bad and blocking it off with a quarter.. Would that make a difference with havinga busted ex. pipe?

I haven't actually _looked_ at my ASV stuff. From the descriptions in the other thread, I'd say taking the system completely off-line is your goal for the test. If that is what you've done, then great.

Then try to duplicate the backfire conditions. If you can't make it backfire, leave the system off-line until you find your exhaust leak(s).

HTH

Kalo:slobber:

yup. I just went out and bought some flex hose. I'm going to cut the resonator off and then attach the flex hose from the mid exhaust flange to the piece running to the muffler.. a lil bailing wire, duck tape and some loud rump roast Disturbed and it should be testable in 20 minutes..

brb

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by torxxx

Well I got the two suction lines to the ASV valve plugged off.. what I'm wondering now is there anything else that I need to do or unhook? I dont want to burn something up from having those hoses plugged off.

I'm trying to learn the 'plumbing' on the EA82, and keep running across references to the Air Injection System.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I gather that the EFI EA82 does NOT use air injection?

Thanks,

Luke