Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My latest car 1973 GSR

my latest car ive just got...

its an 1973 Subaru 1400 GSR coupe.

still has its 1400cc twin carb motor. nice revvy wee motor.

had no probs driving it back from auckland apart from getting real crap gas from 2 servos. it wouldnt idle and rev probly. couldnt pull 4th gear. and pinked so bad

after an wee while after getting fresh gas in driving it would run smoothy as again.

its pretty tidy i just needs an respray. and an few wee other bits and pieces

1400GSRPic1.jpg

1400GSRPic2.jpg

Picture7053.jpg

Picture7051.jpg

Picture7056.jpg

Picture7055.jpg

Picture7057.jpg

Picture7058.jpg

Picture7059.jpg

Picture7061.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well its pretty good. could do with some new window rubbers front and back.theres an wee bit of rust i gots 2 fix. it really could do with an 5spd. its handels pretty good for its age.

haha yeas sure lol :grin::burnout:

I have the front windshield gaskets,but we both need a solution for the rear glass.

Car is sweet! Same color as my GL1400 Coupe.

Hate to ask now but I need one or two of those air filters! A man in England had some listed on eBay recently but the shipping was completely insane for two filters. I may end up spending a lot on shipping anyways,but if you locate any,please let me know and I'm pretty sure I'll let the postal folks take my money.

If there are any parts cars around,please let me know. There's only a handful of these coupes here in the USA that are worth running. Mine is one of them.

Thanks for the push! I've had countless thoughts of blowing through my '73 this weekend.

Wow, that is really a nice one!

It's interesting for me to see, I just finished doing a lot of work on a 72 GL here. It had been race car since 72 and had hardly anything stock or original anymore. It's neat to see how everything was originally.

Does your car have the 4 wheel discs brakes? If you ever have a wheel off I'd like to see a pic of the brakes. I think we have mostly confirmed the one I worked on had 4 wheel discs from a GSR, that got to the US from some sort of factory race connection back then. We never got the GSR model in the US.

um parts here are so hard to come by here anyway. im looking for an rear GSR badge. im never seen an twin carb gsr motor or parts yet. in fact this is the only gsr motor ive ever seen.

i cant go buy any rubber etc at the moment coz im jobless at the moment.

what are we going to do about rubber door seals etc?

i was driving along in the heavy rain and had water getting past the side window and was spraying me in the face :lol:

Does your car have the 4 wheel discs brakes? If you ever have a wheel off I'd like to see a pic of the brakes. I think we have mostly confirmed the one I worked on had 4 wheel discs from a GSR, that got to the US from some sort of factory race connection back then. We never got the GSR model in the US.

i will look and get back to you on that. my 1973 GL coupe has disks on front and drums on rear

From what I can find out the 4 wheel disc brakes only came on the RX coupe not the GSR. I do not think Subaru exported the original RX (1972) only the GSR which had rear drums.

um parts here are so hard to come by here anyway. im looking for an rear GSR badge. im never seen an twin carb gsr motor or parts yet. in fact this is the only gsr motor ive ever seen.

i cant go buy any rubber etc at the moment coz im jobless at the moment.

what are we going to do about rubber door seals etc?

i was driving along in the heavy rain and had water getting past the side window and was spraying me in the face :lol:

We were working on getting some made up or find a suitable match but kind of dropped the ball.

So,what about those filters? I can understand about parts cars being nonexistant...same story here. I've not searched very hard but when I did I can't come up with anything for those airboxes...so when you get around to checking for yourself,please let me know.

I/we have several used examples of door weatherstrips from coupes and two doors,etc. from 1973 and up. Just very unorganized right now and not all in my possession. But we'll help you out if we can.

Nice car!!!! That thing will clean up nice!

I am told that certain years of the Datsun Z car's rear hatch glass will work on the back of coupes and sedans. I've never researched it, but I know we have to come up with an option, as there are a fair amount of these still out there that need them!

Todd

sweeet

:banana:

i would keep it yellow.

Holy CRAP you passed me !!!!

11,263 for you here....but of course,by now you've posted eighteen more times :lol:

Congrats,Nipper,you are now officially the number one board loser. :-p Thanks for taking the title. :headbang: